Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your OC Pet Peeves?

capriCopernicus

Controller as cutie mark...I see it everywhere, I mean yeah you play video games..that's a very "Special" talent you got there. Also OC's that are like Half robot half whatever. Like you know mecha wings.
and most importantly OC's who ship their ponies with everypony :P

• Brohoof 1

Cutie marks that don't make sense or they don't fit in with the MLP:FiM universe itself.

Cutie marks MEAN something, they're not symbols. I'm really not sure how an OC could get the flag of any country as a cutie mark.

Video game cutie marks don't fit in with MLP:FiM, they don't exist over there.

Also, MALE ALICORNS! (This isn't sexist, but they don't even exist)

I know, but for me, an OC has to fit in with the universe of MLP:FiM, and also make sense with what that has been seen in canon.

• Brohoof 1

All of those super duper edgy 'evil' characters.

'HE IS EVUL AND RULES THE WORLD AND USES CELESTIA AS A PUPPET BUT NO ONE NOSE!!!', 'SHE KILLS PONEES AND BATHES ON THEIR BLOOD AND IS KILLING BUDDIES WIV PINKAMENA.!!!!'

It's okay to have an OC with a questionable view on morality. It can even make for some very interesting and unique personalities if it's done with care. 

But it's downright lazy describing them as evil and not explaining why/how they're evil; or making them kill ponies left, right and center for no reason other than 'CUZ THEY'RE INSAYN'. 

• Brohoof 1

I've seen this complaint about video game/pop culture cutie marks quite frequently between this topic and the other, and I'm just wondering - has anyone watched the show recently? For goodness sake, there was a pony in the Manehatten episode with Grumpy Cat for his cutie mark.

I'm afraid you can't really say that this is too off-base from canon anymore.

• Brohoof 2

Male Alicorns, alicorns, Over powered, too many colors that don't go together very well, such as light blue, black, and pink. The same exact color across the entire OC. Non-original OC's, like Fluttershy, only with different colors. OC's that are mixed, like a bat-crystal-alicorn-dragon-type pony. That might be it, but I will edit if I think of anything else.

I honestly only have one pet peeve: OC's that are insanely violent and dark for the sake of it. I feel like it is often unnecessary. 

Other than that though, I really don't care about how others make their OC's to be honest. The way I personally see it, it is their own characters, they can do what they want with them. 

• Brohoof 3

Terrible alicorn OCs. Which is most I come across. Recolors are terrible, and so are eye-watering, painfully bright colors. I came across an Applejack recollection that was orange and EYE-KILLING BLUE. It was horrible. Annoyingly overpowered characters are stupid. I also hate it when the OCs themselves look terrible. Someone once made an alicorn that was just a cadence recolored to have Rainbow Dash's colors. It's backstory was that she was RD's sister and was also related to Celestia. Worst OC I've seen to date.

Cutie marks that don't make sense or they don't fit in with the MLP:FiM universe itself.

Cutie marks MEAN something, they're not symbols. I'm really not sure how an OC could get the flag of any country as a cutie mark.

Video game cutie marks don't fit in with MLP:FiM, they don't exist over there.

I know, but for me, an OC has to fit in with the universe of MLP:FiM, and also make sense with what that has been seen in canon.

Controller as cutie mark...I see it everywhere, I mean yeah you play video games..that's a very "Special" talent you got there. Also OC's that are like Half robot half whatever. Like you know mecha wings.

and most importantly OC's who ship their ponies with everypony :P

You two would not like my female OC (controller cutie mark)

A long lost pony who just happens to be a alicorn and just happen to be celestia and luna's long lost sister or brother and just happen to have unspeakable powers more then celestia and Luna combined.Who just happens to be the savior of equestria.I Just happen to hate that.

Count me as a hypocrite, but having an OC with an intimate relationship with one of the characters from the show. I mean if it is written well and there is chemistry between the OC and the show character; it is OK in some way right?

Call me vain, but it literally hurts my eyes whenever I see these really bright designs, especially if there's neon (really anything bright and neon is hurtful to my eyes, like I'm looking into the sun).  And of course, I'm not a huge fan of informed traits.  I won't really be convinced it's there unless it's shown.  Though it's a bit hypocritical for me to say, since I've been guilty of that in the past.

I have mixed feelings about OCs because I know they're supposed to be fun and crazy and all that, but I personally have more fun making an OC that could realistically fit into the MLP universe rather than one that is just insane.  And creating a good OC isn't hard. Give them a personality and some positive and negative character traits, and you've got a character.  Color them with two or three colors that may not be your favorite but go well together, and you have a balanced, good OC.

Male Alicorns, alicorns

ALICORNS

You guys would hate my most developed mlp character. Then again I work with an AU rather then trying to work with the show.

Also as far as we know male alicorns dont exist. after all how long did it take for us to find out that Twilight had a brother? Cadence? Pinkie Pies 3rd sister? Princess Big Mack 8D We simply dont know everything. :P  

I have issues with clashing bright colors, and just back characters either with lack of personality/backstory or cringe worthy backstories. or related/dating to all the mane 6. the princesses and the villains.

I honestly dont mind Alicorns. when your trying to force them into the show cannon though is pretty much impossible. Ones I found that were pretty cool  were ones that were AU's had a reason for being an alicorn and had great colors. Alicorns sadly get a really bad rap  :(

You guys would hate my most developed mlp character. Then again I work with an AU rather then trying to work with the show.

Also as far as we know male alicorns dont exist. after all how long did it take for us to find out that Twilight had a brother? Cadence? Pinkie Pies 3rd sister? Princess Big Mack 8D We simply dont know everything. :P  

I have issues with clashing bright colors, and just back characters either with lack of personality/backstory or cringe worthy backstories. or related/dating to all the mane 6. the princesses and the villains.

I honestly dont mind Alicorns. when your trying to force them into the show cannon though is pretty much impossible. Ones I found that were pretty cool  were ones that were AU's had a reason for being an alicorn and had great colors. Alicorns sadly get a really bad rap  :(

Alicorns have been VERY clearly shown in the series to only be a race that belongs to those who hold a position of high leadership in Equestria.

You can have the greatest backstory ever created, but showing you're on the same levels as Celesia, Luna, Cadence, and Twilight is just too much for me.

-Overused cutie marks like a video game controller, a quill or a paintbrush. A quill or paintbrush make sense, but are overused, but a video game controller makes no sense. Consoles don't exist in Equestria...

-Overused colours like blue or grey.

-Rainbow mane or/and tail making the OC basically Rainbow Dash but with a differenct coat and cutie mark.

-Tail not co-ordinating with mane

-A pony hybrid like half pony half snake or half pony half dragon.

and...

-Stripes on a pony. Ponies with stripes have never existed in the show and they're overall a bad feature.

EDIT: I am now mostly neutral on male but female muzzle.

Edited by Little Riolu

wings like this on ponies that have no function what so ever it just shows that they just want an alicorn oc but don't want to be criticized for it so they put fake wings on their OCs or they want to be original and put these wings on earth ponies turning them into pegasi. why do this when you can just make them pegasi to begin with and remove the dysfunctional wings

now if the character was a pegasus that lost their wings and had to get them replaced with fake ones then i don't mind but if that is so make them at least look functional.

also characters that have no reasoning behind why they are evil or insane.

also edgy characters that are all dark and brooding.

gyar__another_pony_xp__by_pixelkhiin-d4z

Edited by Scare Effect

but showing you're on the same levels as Celesia, Luna, Cadence, and Twilight is just too much for me.

This makes me feel like your talking more about Ponysonas rather then about a character that isnt a representation of you. Which im not talking about ponysonas.

I guess that I should have made that clear im sorry. :please:

wings like this on ponies that have no function what so ever it just shows that they just want an alicorn oc but don't want to be criticized for it so they put fake wings on their OCs

opss i have a unicorn with fake wings but for an entirely different reason  :lol:

Edited by kenazraventooth

I'll have to say Pony Creator OCs. I'm not saying Pony Creator is a BAD program, but ugh.. There's way too many of them. First of all, OC stands for 'Original Character' and every feature on Pony Creator had to have been used once. Not very original. Second, there's freaking Pony Creator OCs up for sale for REAL MONEY! People are buying these 'OCs' that don't even have a backstory or anything reflecting who they are! They are buying them for their appearances. Just ugh!

It's kind of a broad stroke, but for me, it's being perfunctorily special. Alicorns are the most common trope, but there's also just random hybrid mashes. There's nothing wrong with having a character that stands out of the crowd, by all means, but in order to go that route and still be taken seriously, one requires justification, or at least history. In order to be special, one must have become special, either through deed or circumstance, and it's up to the creator to create a compelling backstory.

I'll have to say Pony Creator OCs. I'm not saying Pony Creator is a BAD program, but ugh.. There's way too many of them. First of all, OC stands for 'Original Character' and every feature on Pony Creator had to have been used once. Not very original. Second, there's freaking Pony Creator OCs up for sale for REAL MONEY! People are buying these 'OCs' that don't even have a backstory or anything reflecting who they are! They are buying them for their appearances. Just ugh!

There are adoptables that buy on just appearance. In fact I buy and sell stuff like that all the time but after I get one i make a story for them or at lest try to. I would feel weird buying an adoptable that came with a backstory and personality because it might conflict with how i feel how the character would behave and act and what backstory they have.

Then again I dont like people selling maker adopts :I they put little to no effort into them and get money off it seems really wrong to me :c

• Brohoof 1