Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the age of Mane 6

LMG

@@Buck Testa, You make some good points.  I don't think we can compare their ages and lifespans directly to ours.  But in terms of maturity level, and how they would most closely compare to us, we can make some pretty good estimations of how old they would be in "human years".

The general consensus from most of the fandom has always been early-mid 20's, in human years, and I've always concurred with that.  I think @Rainbow Diamonds' estimates are pretty spot on.  I've heard some theories that they are considerably younger, like 16 or so.  I think that Zephyr Breeze (much as I loathe his random existence) completely disproves this.  Zephyr is obviously old enough to fend for himself, even though he hasn't done a good job of it.  I'd estimate him to be about 20, maybe a little more; old enough to have gone to college, flunked out/quit, and moved back home.  Fluttershy is older, so the mane six obviously can't be teenagers.  (That was one thing I liked about Zeph--it was a good decision to make him Flutters' little bro, rather than older.  That was a bit unexpected and nice, and good character development to see her being the mature one.  I digress.)  As for why the humane six are high school age, it's because corporate mandated that the human versions and the dolls be relatable and appeal directly to kids in school, and they didn't care whether it cohered with the FIM universe.  I personally would have liked EG more if they actually had made the humane six in their mid 20's, and dealing with real life, instead of cliquey high school crap.

@@Buck Testa, You make some good points.  I don't think we can compare their ages and lifespans directly to ours.  But in terms of maturity level, and how they would most closely compare to us, we can make some pretty good estimations of how old they would be in "human years".

The general consensus from most of the fandom has always been early-mid 20's, in human years, and I've always concurred with that.  I think @Rainbow Diamonds' estimates are pretty spot on.  I've heard some theories that they are considerably younger, like 16 or so.  I think that Zephyr Breeze (much as I loathe his random existence) completely disproves this.  Zephyr is obviously old enough to fend for himself, even though he hasn't done a good job of it.  I'd estimate him to be about 20, maybe a little more; old enough to have gone to college, flunked out/quit, and moved back home.  Fluttershy is older, so the mane six obviously can't be teenagers.  (That was one thing I liked about Zeph--it was a good decision to make him Flutters' little bro, rather than older.  That was a bit unexpected and nice, and good character development to see her being the mature one.  I digress.)  As for why the humane six are high school age, it's because corporate mandated that the human versions and the dolls be relatable and appeal directly to kids in school, and they didn't care whether it cohered with the FIM universe.  I personally would have liked EG more if they actually had made the humane six in their mid 20's, and dealing with real life, instead of cliquey high school crap.

You are absolutely right, Zephyr certainly throws a wrench into those theories that place them as little more than teenagers. His five o'clock shadow and drifting through life reminds me of a quarter life crisis more than anything. if anything, Zephyr's presence in the show's canon might even push the estimates of Fluttershy's age over the age of 25, as I've known several men that are that age that behave EXACTLY like Zephyr, to an almost disturbing degree. 

The time dissonance between the two dimensions of Eqg and MLP are rather interesting for me. I agree that I'd rather them be at least in college, but it'll be interesting to see how they deviate from their pony counterparts (if they are smart that's exactly how they'd work that angle.)

• Brohoof 1

In FIM, they are in their early twenties and maybe mid twenties or so since they all live on their own and operate their own businesses etc. 

In Equestria Girls, they are between the ages of 15-17. 

(edited)

Judging by how the world of Equestria operates differently than our world, I like to believe that how they age and get into the work force is different than in the human world.

In human world they would have the role of people in their early twenties but I like to believe that they are between 16 -18 years old in general.

We haven't heard anything about middle school or high school in the actual show, so I like to believe that at least high school doesn't exist in Equestria.

Once a pony obtains his or her cutie mark they can ether go to some kind of trade school to receive higher education for certain jobs that require it, or can immediately go into the workforce when they are done with their regular education.

Plus Lauren Faust stated that the mane 6 maturity level ranges from 12 -17.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

Early-mid twenties in human years if we are talking about it like that. It just makes sense to me

I believe...

Rarity is the oldest at 30. As a foal she seems to be the only one working a job by herself, when Sweetie Belle was four Rarity seems to still look like an adult, she seems to show the most maturity over the rest of the mane six, and she even runs her own business

Applejack is a little bit younger, at 27. She has a job at the Apple farm, but she's one of the only two members of the mane six that doesn't have her own place (assuming Rainbow Dash lives by herself). She is also very mature.

I think Twilight Sparkle is about the same age as Applejack, also being 27. She has her own place, she basically takes care of Spike, and she becomes the literal ruler of Equestria.

Rainbow Dash is 24. She's the least mature members of the mane six other than Pinkie Pie.

Fluttershy is the second youngest at 22. I wish I could say she's the youngest, because that's what I believe she should be, but it's canon she's a year older than Pinkie Pie.

I guess Pinkie Pie is the youngest at 21. She is the least mature and most childish member of the mane six. She doesn't even have her own place.