Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Possible proof for humans in Equestria( Sassy Saddles)

TheMarkz0ne

In Sassy Saddles's case, I think her outfit is a spoof on the mid-waist belt that seemed to be pretty fashionable for women a few years back. I don't follow fashion, least of all women's fashion, so I have no idea if that's still in or not but I haven't seen my sister who is into fashion dress that way for a while. As ponies don't have the need for clothing it's all just an accessory to enhance one's appearance anyways, especially saddles. Given the shape and design of clothing and the bodies of the ponies who wear them there's even less need for belts to exist but like with all other types of clothing they too can exist as accessories, however I don't think they do. I think saddles are Equestria's equivalent to belts.

• Brohoof 1

IIRC saddles were quite the fashion statement during the Grand Galloping Gala, so they have an aesthetic purpose.

Though I must admit I am unsure as to their purpose in regards to winter-ware in how Twilight was putting one on...

Ok.

A lot of this conversation seems predicated on an assumption that saddles have a singular use. They are used to carry a rider or loads. We have seen saddlebags, saddles used as a base for other objects, the provide functionality. A saddle allows a pony to carry a load easier with less strain on their back.

As far as the point about clothes, since there is a reduced need for functional clothing, it does change how one would look at pony clothing in general. Functional art (like architecture, horticulture, cooking, and literature) are based on elements of civilization that are critical to the success of an species or the growth of society. For humans, clothes fit that definition well. For Ponies, not so much. That means couturier and moat clothing in geberal is actually closer to an oil painting, or an orchestral piece.

Wearing clothing isn't required. It is a form of expression and art. I suppose saddles could easily fall into that. A bit more whimsical than functional as I doubt you would see Rarity or Sassy bearing any loads when they wore theirs. In short, it is part of the art of expression.

• Brohoof 3