Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

friendship games Leaving Spike the dog as sapient creature is immoral and wrong!

Conred

In Fiendship Games, Twilight's dog gain th ability to talk and think like humans. This is unaccetable and create a lot of questions.

Is he now going to be attracted to other primitive dogs or his fellow sapient humans?

If dogs then he is going to feel alienated by "family" he can't understand.

If with humans then he will never have kids not to mention even finding a partner.

And what about his lifespan? I'm sure Twilight would deal with her pet passing away after 10-15 years. But it's a very different topic with human-like friend, Knowing that he is going to age 7 times faster is horrible. And what about his right as a thinking being? Is it really moral to keep him as a pet?

So yeah, this subplot with talking dog was more creepy than cute.

Nature can't be tampered with. It's like turning a human into a dog with a dog mind forever. It's not good at all.

In Fiendship Games, Twilight's dog gain th ability to talk and think like humans. This is unaccetable and create a lot of questions.

Is he now going to be attracted to other primitive dogs or his fellow sapient humans?

If with humans then he will never have kids not to mention even finding a partner.

And what about his lifespan? I'm sure Twilight would deal with her pet passing away after 10-15 years. But it's a very different topic with human-like friend, Knowing that he is going to age 7 times faster is horrible. And what about his right as a thinking being? Is it really moral to keep him as a pet?

Nature can't be tampered with. It's like turning a human into a dog with a dog mind forever. It's not good at all.

Wasn't he making dog noises again at the end? I took that to mean he'd gone back to normal.

• Brohoof 1

Hi, as this topic is about the latest Equestria Girls movie, it has been moved to the Equestria Girls board.
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think that flash programs can have recreational sex or procreate yet, so I wouldn't worry about that. 

Their human world does not function like our human world, economically, politically, militarily, socially, etc.

Cartoons. What can you do?

• Brohoof 6

You shouldn't be watching any form of fiction, least of all something like FiM if you're going to over-think like this. It's just a cartoon. It's not amoral and wrong because it's not depicted as such within the context of the show. In other words, nothing bad will come of it because the writers wrote it so that nothing bad comes of it, the only things that happen are the things we see and are told about within the show or by the writers, nothing happens "off-screen" because they're just fiction.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty sure all this means is that he can talk now. Nothing more, nothing less

Again all this means is that he can talk now

If with humans then he will never have kids not to mention even finding a partner. - 

See the last two above

This doesn't really matter because 

- This series never probably gonna touch up on this issue

- The characters will probably stay the same age forever

- It's a children's cartoon

This is a series where there is a portal and access to an entire world full of magic candy-coated horses. I seriously doubt anyone is gonna care.

And I'm pretty sure Spike can still bark naturally and what not(just like Ponyworld Spike)

This is one of the most non-issue topics I've seen in a while

Edited by LAZENGANN OVERLOAD
  • Brohoof 3

You're overthinking it man. All this means is that he talk more. Just remember that it's a TV Show that'll most likely never touch upon this issue. And if you're still bothered by all this then do keep in mind that he's a lot better off than some animals in the other (more serious) cartoons I watch.

Like the Ice Cream Kitty here from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

tumblr_ndp0y4S0Jt1repwszo1_500.gif

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 1

The irony is the Humane 6 might have to say goodbye to Spike the dog well before the end of their lifetimes. In the pony universe, Spike the dragon will have to say goodbye to the Mane 6 well before the end of his lifetime...

But there isn't anything immoral about that. All he got was the ability to talk. He's still a cartoon dog with a cartoon dog level of sentience. In fact, his ability to communicate effectively should make his life a whole lot better now in terms of well-being. He was going to die before Twilight whether or not he could talk, so his talking is irrelevant to that fact.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 1

It's not about talking. It's about becoming a developed anthropomorphic creature with human brain and ability to logical thinking. Can anyone think about this for a second if this happened to your dog or you were a dog and somehow gain a higher level of awareness?And your excuse is that it's just a cartoon? Then why are you even on this forum "discussing" the show if everything happening on screen is irrelevant? Why discussing Discord or Twilight if they are just cartoon characters? The movie created serious  flawed plot element just like having someone die offscreen and never mention him again for "laugh". 

We're not talking about Spike turning into a dog. Is harmless idea, a temporary change of his outfit. His mind is still unaffected.

We are talking about the change of his "nature", not look. The old Spike the dog was literally killed with the Equestrian Magic and replaced with a thinking being inside him.

Would really no one be shocked if Spike from the tv series turned into a dog snd only communicate with barks forever for the rest of the series permanently?

Edited by Conred

It's not about talking. It's about becoming a developed anthropomorphic creature with human brain and ability to logical thinking. Can anyone think about this for a second if this happened to your dog or you were a dog and somehow gain a higher level of awareness?

The thing is, the animals in the EQG human world already display a level of anthropomorphism. Observe the animals around Fluttershy, especially Angel. They don't really behave like real-life animals - they behave like cartoon animals that can't talk. I think they are already sapient, or at least sentient.

So I still feel all Spike gained was the ability to talk. If by some miracle my cats or dogs could suddenly talk, it would be a blessing and not a curse because if there was something wrong the problem could be much more easily fixed than the way it is now, where the vet pretty much has to guess why they're acting wonky.

Also, (I feel like this topic is getting way too hypothetical here, but I'll run with it anyway) just because they can suddenly talk doesn't mean they would up and leave. Real-life pets don't just stay around because of the grub, they stay because they love us as much as we love them.

Would really no one be shocked if Spike from the tv series turned into a dog snd only communicate with barks forever for the rest of the series permanently?

I will say I felt the idea FG presented that Spike could jump through the portals and suddenly gain the ability to talk was somewhat weak; there isn't any history in the previous movies that jumping between worlds would bestow such a boon permanently. Plus since he permanently received the ability to talk, then I would have expected he'd permanently be a dragon in the human world. Fun!  :lol:

So to answer your question, yes it would be shocking because you're saying dragon-Spike would now totally be a dog in sound and in form. But... that didn't happen in EQG:FG - he stayed a dog and only got the ability to speak.

• Brohoof 2

magical portals, girls changing to anthropomorphic ponies, and an alien girl from a different world (Sunset Shimmer) are fine, but a talking a dog is the bad thing? Seriously? 

If this kind of stuff bothers you, stop watching My Little Pony. Seriously. 

• Brohoof 2

I will say I felt the idea FG presented that Spike could jump through the portals and suddenly gain the ability to talk was somewhat weak; there isn't any history in the previous movies that jumping between worlds would bestow such a boon permanently. Plus since he permanently received the ability to talk, then I would have expected he'd permanently be a dragon in the human world. Fun!  :lol:

Fridge Brilliance: He also got hit with EQG!Fluttershy's magic right before it went into EQG!Twilight's device.

• Brohoof 1

This is a case of overthinking it especially since Spike and Twilight seems to be happy over this occurrence.

All it really means is that he is a dog the can talk,but you do raise some interesting points though.

Edited by UnknownFry
  • Brohoof 1

I guess people just care about funny talking dogs to entertain them. And don't think about the consequences of such development. It's not natural and it will lead to suffering to both Spike and Twilight.

No one else posting here agrees with my thing about him making dog noises again at the end, then?

It was only a slight whine, so I don't feel it is indicative of him no longer being able to talk again. Note that in the earlier scenes after all of the magic has been fixed and the villain is threatening to go to the school board, they actually make a very specific point that he can still talk.

• 6 years later...
On 2015-09-27 at 7:23 PM, Conred said:

Here's a solution

Make him freaking human.
Like have him be turned into a human.
Its really not impossible honestly.

On 2015-09-27 at 8:46 PM, Truffles said:

The irony is the Humane 6 might have to say goodbye to Spike the dog well before the end of their lifetimes. In the pony universe, Spike the dragon will have to say goodbye to the Mane 6 well before the end of his lifetime...

But there isn't anything immoral about that. All he got was the ability to talk. He's still a cartoon dog with a cartoon dog level of sentience. In fact, his ability to communicate effectively should make his life a whole lot better now in terms of well-being. He was going to die before Twilight whether or not he could talk, so his talking is irrelevant to that fact.

Which why its wrong to make him a dog in the first place.

Also the magic clearly made him sapient now.  Like more kind of intelligence/sapience than other human-world animals shown.

On 2015-09-29 at 12:28 PM, Anti-Villain said:

Fridge Brilliance: He also got hit with EQG!Fluttershy's magic right before it went into EQG!Twilight's device.

That's not really fridge brilliance because it was shown right there on screen Spike leap right in the way of Fluttershy's magic being unintentionally collected by Twilight's device. You would have to be blind not to notice that