Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the safest mode of transportation?

ManaMinori

I realize that it's impossible to hope for 100% safety guarantee, no matter what mode of transport there is. There's risk of danger no matter what, and accidents can happen- whether through fault of your own, or someone else's. buses can get hijacked, fights can occur, buses, taxi's, cars, bikes can get into accidents, etc.

But all the same, I want to get opinions on what you guys think is the safest mode of transport, in local areas. Uber? Lyft? Taxi? City bus? Your own vehicle? Bike?

• Brohoof 1

I've heard that traveling by plane is the safest. Statistically. Though, death from an airplane can be much more dramatic. ^_^ I don't really know about land though. I'm guessing taxi.

• Brohoof 1

It really depends on where you are and what you want to do. I remember listening to a statistics program where they discussed the risks of cycling, motorbiking and driving, and it varied hugely from city centres to rural villages. 

One point that they did make was that if your objective is to live for longer then the health benefits of cycling (or walking too, I suspect) far outweigh the increased risk (if any) of death due to a road accident - I think on average you added 10 years to your life expectancy* if you cycled a lot due to better health, but lost about two years due to accidents. So that's a net gain of eight years on average. Obviously different countries will have different levels of risks, but I suspect that cycling will help you live longer purely due to increased physical exercise (if you already exercise a fair bit, this will be a case of diminishing returns.)

For surviving accidents your best bet would be a car, as they have the most advanced protection systems (on a bike, your knees are the crumple zone) which are constantly improving, although if you are on a motorway or similar then the speed means an accident will pose a significant threat regardless (in a 30mph zone there is very little risk to a car driver.)

* I've looked for the source, but I couldn't find it again. I did find one study that suggested that it added  ~ five years for high intensity cycling and ~ three years for average intensity cycling for men.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

Your own legs? Walking is usually pretty safe XD

until some idiot decides to run you over...

Teleportation :3 Since it hasn't been invented it has no danger records!

Man, I wish!

Why hasn't this become a thing, yet? I think it would be pretty safe.

I'm gonna go with;

Sitting inside a bunker 50 feet underground with 10 ft thick concrete walls and no door or any furniture or anything and specific infini-foods and then never ever ever moving from that one spot.

THAT is the safest mode of transport. And the risks are still too high!

Heh.

Statistically, planes, but when things go wrong... Oh boy...

Truth be told, I can't think of any safe transportation other than maybe a tank or something of the like. Walking or biking, you could easily get hit or run into a bear or something, driving is out of the question and with kayaking, you could hit a bad lake with waterfalls, whirlpools or radioactive waste. In the open ocean, you need to worry about pirates too, hitting a bad storm, getting marooned or getting capsized. Tunneling is out of the question as well because of potential caving in.

... Yeah, I'm going to have to say an armored vehicle of some kind like a tank or armored bulldozer would be the safest form of transport.

Metro accidents are pretty uncommon, at least here in Russia. I can't speak for the other Metro's abroad, but the Metro System we have here is very safe. Driving by Car in Russia is a completely different story however...

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED

Probably flying in a commercial airliner. Those things get checked up and down for possible safety problems. Second choice goes to subways. Outside of being mugged, they are way safer than above ground trains since they're protected from (almost) any possible outside dangers.

Edited by Magic Rasin

• 5 years later...

Foot I think, well as long as you arent in a place where you have to cross horribly busy roads no proper footpath or something. And avoid places where u get stab :/

Edited by flurry