Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hate?

Ghosty13

I think a lot of it has to do with the activities of Bronies themselves. Oversexualization of a cartoon show primarily targeted toward young girls, (yes, I know Lauren Faust had originally planned for it to be more family oriented, but given MLP's history, it's still known as a show for young girls), is a major thing, the stereotypes, and the behavior of Bronies themselves, (especially when they try to defend or justify their involvement in the fandom).

Just ignore it.

Edited by ATGG
  • Brohoof 2

I'm guessing one of the main reasons non-bronies often frown upon the bronies is because of all the perverted stuff the fandom creates, and the countless disgusting things that bronies will defend.  Isn't that obvious?

The same thing could be said of just about any fandom out there.  I think that the hate received is a reflection of how widespread the fandom is.  Since the internet is saturated with an overwhelming amount pony-related material, we're bound to get an equal amount of flack.

• Brohoof 1

It's mostly because of us being adults watching a kids tv show, but it's no different than watching pokemon. Each show has it's lessons, you just need to look and listen. It's also part of the social norms that no grown adult watch these things, as it supposedly takes away your "man card" as most people say. Most I get is people saying that bronies force their fandom on others or just simply need a reason to insult you or me.

• Brohoof 1

It goes against gender norms. According to society, boys are supposed to like certain things, and girls are supposed to like certain things. A lot of people can't understand that your reproductive organs don't control what you like or dislike. So people can't understand that boys can like My Little Pony as much as girls can like Transformers.

It's also for children. Adults liking childish things are frowned upon. We're supposed to grow up and put our childish interests behind you. 

I don't know why, but a lot of people believe that your sex and age should control what your interests are. A 19 year old male is not supposed to like My Little Pony or the color purple. (I love My Little pony, and my favorite color is purple.) 

Then another reason we get hate is because of certain bronies. It's not just people putting ponies as their profile pictures on non-pony sites. That isn't shoving ponies down anyone's throat unless putting pictures of video game characters is shoving video game characters down everyone's throat. I'm talking about those bronies who will talk about ponies to people who aren't interested, even after they are told to stop, and try to force them to watch it.

Finally, there are the negative stereotypes surrounding us. A lot of people actually believe the stereotypes, unfortunately. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, everybody think this show is just for little girls, and tha bronies are gay.  I often freakt out, but do not bother with these. What can we tease the fans of Game of Thrones that show, and this is the fans. 

• Brohoof 1

People don't like things that are different. If it's not normal, they fear it because it doesn't fit into their view of how the world should be. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist, if we let people like that win then racism, sexism and all the other 'ism's win too. So keep watching those ponies and ignore the haters for all the people who can't because of people like that. And remember, Frienship is Magic :3

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes I wish I could just let them listen more and talk less. If they hate the fandom, then why not give us advice or join us to better define it?

There are indeed a lot of arguments, and I can definitely defend bronies on some. But only if it's unfair for us. But yeah, there are some things I can point out.

"Did you know that bronies started as a joke on 4Chan? Isn't that stupid?"

Implying that everything else on the internet didn't start the same way.

"Bronies are the cause of cancer and autism"

So there was no cancer or autism before bronies?

"Bronies like to shove it down your throat and treat it like religion"

That probably means you're homeschooled. Because you definitely haven't spent a single day in high school. "DEEZ NUTS TWENTY ONE WHATR THOOSE?"

Edited by FlootahBaby
  • Brohoof 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is the Internet. Hate is everywhere. It won't leave, and it won't ignore us. We, however, should really ignore them. Bronies are incredibly easy to make fun of because we like magical talking technicolor horses designed to appeal to little girls. You can't win an argument with trolls because you lose the moment you say anything at all. Ignore them and don't let it get to you.

• Brohoof 1

There are two main reasons

1. Gender Stereotypes, society claims that only young children should watch My Little Pony and purchase the merchandise and there has been schemes to counter the stereotypes like "Let Toys Be Toys"

2. People who are overly obsessed with MLP, those people are more obsessed with the show than an average member on these Forums. They would very often try to force people to join the fandom and make their pony OC marry a canon character. One example comes from the Google+ user Legitman335, he would usually draw pictures with Sunset Shimmer and really try to date the Sunset Shimmer roleplayers over there. His roleplaying got so severe that he got banned from two MLP Communities there just for roleplaying multiple times, both of which I am a member of.

• Brohoof 1

Okay I am going to say this bluntly:

Half the reason people hate bronies is because they are always going "WHY DO PEOPLE HATE US!?" And then INSISTING that everyone who dislikes them is just "a troll". It's that attitude that no one could LEGITIMATELY dislike you for any legitimate reasons. It's getting up in arms every time any level of disapproval is felt and going up in arms. A good example: I made a video about Them's Fightin' Herds where I spoke objectively about the game and the bad aspects. I mentioned bronies once in the video because it was RELEVANT to the fact that a lot of people supporting it are bronies who were interested in Fighting is Magic.

I was met with a HUGE influx of negative comments, defensive action and downvotes and almost no one was trying to be objective, they were just blindly defending all things brony. THAT is the problem, it's that when anyone disagrees with bronies instead of just brushing it off, the fandom bands together and creates a scene and makes a small issue into a big issue. Tommy Oliver is another example. Oh no, he said he hated the fandom now and doesn't want to be a part of it, so people made hundreds of response videos to his, attacked him, screamed "GOOD RIDDANCE" and lost their minds over it instead of just shrugging it off and just continuing to like their show without caring.

Too many bronies make it a "mission" to defend the brony name that DOESN'T NEED DEFENDING. Your defenses are only making it more and more appealing to attack bronies because it generates attention and views. Too many bronies are acting like this show is their entire life and that insulting it or any aspect of it is like pimp slapping their mother and pissing on their dog. Y'all need to chill and just ignore it.

All making threads like this does is makes people like me who are already not a brony and very loosely a fan wish to be associated with the fandom even LESS because it's getting irritating watching the CONSTANT pity parties. There are literally probably like 5 threads like this a month of "WHY DOES X HATE BRONIES" or "WHY ARE WE SO HATED" or some other personal experience with a "hater". It's not making this fandom look any better, it just comes off as whining and makes it MORE unlikable. Stop defending your love for a show and just love the show without giving a damn. Don't even go "They hate us because they are jealous/trolls/etc." because even that is trying to justify and defend. There is no justification or defense needed. Just like a show, ignore people that don't like it and enjoy who you are. The fact that you put so much stock into what other people think shows that you are letting other people control your self esteem.

You wouldn't care what other people think about you if you knew how little they actually do it.

Sorry if I am coming off as an asshole here, but I am trying to give LEGITIMATE advice that will resolve this problem. That advice to put it simply: ignore it. Stop complaining about it, don't even acknowledge it.

“Don't hate what you don't understand.” ~ John Lennon

That may seem mildly anecdotal - but the less you know about something, the more disinterest turns up. The core of the hate stems from liking something you should not. Hate will always be around in fandoms, however they cannot tell us what to like or not to like... 

• Brohoof 3

It's not the haters that bother me. It's those people who will look for mlp related content just to be rude to bronies. For example, most brony related videos have anti bronies. No one forced them to watch the video, but they still went there with the intention of harassing bronies.

I hate those bronies who think haters are saints and bronies are the bad ones. Some bronies are horrible, but so are some haters! Have those of you who think we deserve it thought that maybe we never forced anyone to go to mlp related things, yet we still have to deal with hate?!

• Brohoof 1

I don't hate bronies at all and I'm shocked how we/they receive so much of it. However, I don't think Bronies are anything special to be a target for brony critics....

It happens to many fans in other fandoms too. I don't think it's bronies or other fans that people really hate, I just think it's the fandoms in general. And I must admit, fandoms can be a little....out there. Even the mlp fandom can be a bit overwhelming and annoying sometimes and I'm a part of it. Nothing wrong with that opinion. Huge Fandoms are known to be looked down upon by outsiders. It's natural....not saying it's justified...but it is common. 

I simply ignore it and move on with my life. Bronies are pretty chill as far as I'm concerned. It could be just the individual they hate who happens to be a brony. Not all bronies are sensible people. Some people experience "a bad brony" and automatically think the whole brony community is that way. Which is a shame, but it happens. 

Nothing to do but shake your pony rump and enjoy what you love

Edited by Princess Sunset
  • Brohoof 2

its because they havent seen  the show yet and are too close minded ort scared to watch it and make fun of us because we are easy target going against the basic stereotypes

I have met haters who have sat down to watch the show. They are not as closed minded as they seem, I have met many who only do it due to peer pressure, not because they hate us.

There are many reasons people do things, they see us as gay or strange just as we see them as hating us just because they are closed minded or intolerant. Both are only skin deep. why we do what we do and what they do what they do is probably much deeper. it can be something as simple as "I just like the show" and "I just hate the show", and may be as personal as "I watch it because it reminds me of when I was a child" and "Peer Pressure".

• Brohoof 2

Really there is nothing else to say beyond the post I already made which pretty much 100% sums up the issue. So instead I shall give you this in relevance to the topic of "hate":

1368639282660.gif

Some people just don't understand bronies. It's really that simple.

They just assume that bronies are creepy, lonely, and depressed men with no social lives.

They simply buy into stereotypes or make their own assumptions. 

While this can be quite irritating, there isn't much that can be done but hope that these people can furthur educate themselves on the fandom.