CastletonSnob

From worst to least worst

1) Princess Spike

2) Appleoosa's Most Wanted

3) Do Princesses Dream Of Magic Sheep?

4) What About Discord

5) Hooffields and McColts

>Do princesses dream of magical sheep

YOU'RE DEAD TO ME EQUESTRIA GUY, DEAD! WAIT, MORE DEAD THAN YOU WERE BEFORE. DOUBLE DEAD. WHICH DOES NOT CANCEL ITSELF OUT.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 1

>Do princesses dream of magical sheep

YOU'RE DEAD TO ME EQUESTRIA GUY, DEAD! WAIT, MORE DEAD THAN YOU WERE BEFORE. DOUBLE DEAD. WHICH DOES NOT CANCEL ITSELF OUT.

What a terrible episode. How many times were they going to shout out, "this is a dream, remember?!?" at the end.

Hey Charles Barkley, what did you think of this episode?

1. Slice of Life

2. Princess Spike

3. The Hooffields and McColts

4. Party Pooped

5. What About Discord?

I think this was my favorite season of lil' pwnies yet!

I say that, because there actually hasn't been that many bad episodes in my eyes. Some episodes focused on a lot more developement, heart, and comedy; three things I think MLP excels at when it really hones in on them.

My bottom episodes are...

What About Discord? Oh lord...this episode made me cringe. And bad, too. Twilight was out of character out of the wazoo during this; she kept saying simply because she was the princess of friendship she had to know what happened between the other ponies and discord, which is quite different from the awkward and clumsy Twilight earlier this season. It was annoying, tedious, and I doubt I will ever revisit it.

PRINCESS SPIKE HOLY COW. It is the WORST episode of MLP. Rainbow Falls doesn't compare to this garbage. That ending just ruined this episode for me...all that set up with spike rallying to get ponies to rebuild that statue, for it to fall again and the episode to end ambiguously. I barely remember laughing during it. It had such potential..I really want a good Spike episode, but this just makes me see Spike as a joke. He deserves better than that.

• Brohoof 1

It's honestly VERY hard for me to pick out five episodes as, for me, this was the most consistently good season of FiM to date. As such I can only name three to my list:

1. Appleoosa's Most Wanted

2. Princess Spike

3. The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows

The rest either range from 'like' to 'freakin amazing.' Heck, I don't even consider #3 on my list that bad; just meh. Season 5 was just a real winner for me. <3

My least favourites are the following:

• What About Discord?
  • Appleloosa’s Most Wanted
  • Tanks for the Memories
  • The Hooffields and the Mccolts
  • Princess Spike

Of all of these episodes, I'm torn as whether I dislike Princess Spike or The Hoofields and the Mccolts more. One episode was just painful to see a much-loved character go through needless punishments, more so than usual, while the other contains terrible humour and annoying redneck stereotypes. As of now, I'll say that Hooffields and Mccolts is my absolute least favourite of Season 5, but otherwise this Season was still tonnes of fun to watch.

I think pony is very rarely "bad", and find that whenever people call out certain episodes as bad, they aren't much worse than the rest, and is simply about certain things or gripes those people are personally bothered by. 

That said, I do think there were some less than average episodes, the main ones being Appleoosa's Most Wanted and Princess Spike. They were just kinda "meh". Originally I thought Bloom and Gloom was meh as well, but I did actually find it pretty funny, and it has a pretty important subject (and it fits pretty well put into the perspective of the entire season). Episodes I thought was a bit shaky, with some bad elements, but saved by some good ones, is Made in Manehattan (boring, but had a great morale) and What About Discord? (pretty strange episode, but Discord is great, and I found the idea, the way it was explored, and the use of real scientific approaches interesting). 

Is there a "top season 5 episodes" thread too, or is that something somebody still has to make? 

Edited by Arrowstormen

• What About Discord
  • Appleoosa's Most Wanted
  • Princess Spike
  • The Cutie Map

Those 4 are my least favorites, What About Discord and Princess Spike probably being the worst out of all of them for me. The Cutie Map, I know a lot of people really like that premiere, but I honestly did not enjoy it much.

2. Tanks for the Memories. Bawling RD ruined it. The only way it would have worked is if Tank had actually died. They had the chance to do something truly special. It could have been the most heartfelt episode but instead even the characters in the show are asking when is she going the stop crying.

That was actually one of my top episodes for the season. Having a character actually die in a TV-Y rated show is risky business AND, that would completely kill off a character for the future, that would just be a bit too harsh for the time being. However, the entire episodes concept was based around death. Rainbow goes through the 5 stages of grief and the entire aspect was heavily focus on the concept of losing a friend or pet and I think that was done incredibly well. That is just my opinion though.

• Brohoof 1

I found the season to be pretty good (the only one besides Season 1 where I didn't find any episodes that I really dislike), with most episodes having small problems, but also having something to make up for them. However, if I had to choose a top 5 worst...

#5 - Tanks for the Memories: this episode did so many things right. Great humour, great Fluttershy, great song, great theme... And a terrible Rainbow Dash characterization, well, at least for me. I know many people love this episode, but I just think that Dash's stupidity should have at least some limits, though Cindy Morrow seems to think otherwise. Also, I noticed a funny thing - people who enjoy Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 tend to have some dislike towards this ep (including me), while the ones who hated TT123 adore this one. Hmm.

#4 - Castle Sweet Castle: not much to say about this one. The whole episode just feels boring, with very little of substance happening. The song is probably one of the worst in the entire series, the lyrics felt rather bland, and the constant chorus repeating was unasked for (it's ironic since I love True, True Friend). There was also that horriblte Sparity joke. Its saving graces? Well, the dynamic between characters is kinda nice, the finale is touching, plus I was glad to see some attention being paid to Twilight after Season 4 almost completely ignored her in most episodes.

#3 - Princess Spike: I love the scene where everypony helps Spike to rebuild the statue. It just feels so nice and heart-warming. But other than that, I found the episode to be pretty boring. The main problem, though, is the lesson Spike has to learn. It... doesn't have anything to do with the episode. Spike did get a bit carried away, but that just went nowhere. All the trouble in the end was caused not by him, but by dumbasses who organized this summit the way that some things went in the way of the other ones. I really hope we get some better Spike episodes in Season 6 (funnily enough, I really enjoyed Neal's next episode this season, "What About Discord?").

#2 - The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows: not much to say about this one either. Pinkie's characterization was okay, and some of the jokes were pretty funny, but the episode really dragged on for too long, especially considering it had such a simple set-up. Would've enjoyed it more if it lasted 11 minutes instead of 22.

#1 - Apploosa's Most Wanted: once again, Dave Polsky trolls the heck out of everyone. This time, he ignores how the basic concept of the cutie mark works and gives us a character who gets his mark without really understanding what he wants to do in life. Okay, Troubleshoose can be just a single defective case, I'll buy that excuse. But the final solution of his problem is what's really questionable. So he's gonna be a laughing stock for the rest of his live, still breaking stuff but being happy since he does get to take part in a rodeo? Uh, okay, I guess... The episode managed to get some chuckles out of me, plus it turns out to be connected with the Crusaders of the Lost Cutie Mark, so not a complete failure. 

Edited by SVCL

My bottom ss5 episode:

1. Surpriseeeee!!!. Princess Spike...

2. Apploosa Most Wanted. Dave Poski, I trusted you..

3. Canterlot Boutique.

4. Made in Manehattan. Weakest map episode.

5. Scare Master. If the 1st is not that cringe worthy, it could been my top Natasha episode...

4. Made in Manehattan. Weakest map episode.

Hm, I thought this was the best map episode. It didn't have the ridiculous ending of the Gilda one, and it didn't have that horrible OOC for Twilight that the Hooffields and McColts had.

1. Tanks For The Memories, the whole episode felt like a bad joke for me, and I had never felt like it watching any MLP episode, not even Power Ponies. This is my least favorite episode ever.
  2. Appleloosa's Most Wanted, I disliked it because I have mixed feelings about the moral, plus the CMC went from mature to annoying.
  3. What About Discord?, I don't really dislike it, and the moral is really good, but the rest is boring, weird to watch and feels like wasted potential.
  4. Princess Spike, other episode that I don't dislike, I just find it boring and wouldn't watch it again.

This season is by far doing great, I don't have so much to complain about, and it had less bad episodes than season 1, 2 and 4. Season 3 had less but it also had less episodes.

Hmm, bottom 5, I'd say

Princess Spike

Bloom and Gloom

Appleloosa's Most Wanted

What about Discord

Brotherhooves Social

1. Brotherhooves Social
  2. Princess Spike
  3. Appleoosa's Most Wanted
  4. The Cutie Map
  5. Made In Manehatten

tbh I didn't like/care for a lot of the season 5 episodes so my list was kinda hard to throw together and as a result 3-5 are probably in the wrong order. But 1 & 2 are currently my least favorite episodes in the entire show.

• Brohoof 1

Hm, I thought this was the best map episode. It didn't have the ridiculous ending of the Gilda one, and it didn't have that horrible OOC for Twilight that the Hooffields and McColts had.

Maybe because of Applejack in this episode... Applejack episodes are usually not interested me... Or maybe the latter half of this episode feel pretty boring...

Griffionstone ep has world-building and Gilda/Pinkie interactions, they justified Gilda's behaviors in "Griffon the Brush off" and i buy it.

About Hooffields and McColts, I'm not familiar with western history (Hatfield and McCoy) so this kind of story looks new to me. Twilight's OOC reminded me of her season 1 self (i love that Twilight), so i let it pass... 

I'm surprised that Tank for the Memories is considered the worst episode let alone a bad one. I agree, the crying scene really pinched a nerve, but personally, I never thought it made sense to call an episode bad just because of one annoying scene. 

The reason why Tanks for the Memories is my number one worst episode is because Rainbow gets away with her horrible actions, without facing any consequences.

RD has always been a bit of a selfish jerk, which is why she's my least favorite of the mane 6. But this episode exaggerated these traits to the point of making her downright villainous.

The worst part is that the whole episode could EASILY have been salvaged if there was just ONE scene of Rainbow Dash apologizing. But in the end, no one is even aware that she did all of these terrible things.

My other most hated episodes:

2) Slice of Life: This is the first (And so far, only) episode that I couldn't stand to watch in its entirety. The whole thing is an attempt to cram as many memes as they can into 22 minutes, with no regard as to whether it's actually entertaining. The scene that best illustrates this problem is the opening: the "joke" here (If you can call it that) is that Derpy says "Muffin". If you spend enough time on the internet to get the joke, you've already seen dozens of fanart which make the same joke, but better.

3) Party Pooped: These yaks felt like racist caricatures. Apparently their entire culture consists of moronic brutes who smash everything they don't like. Pinkie's trip wasn't that funny either. Only good part of the episode was that one nice yak that Pinkie met.

4) Appleoosa's Most Wanted: What can I say, apparently some people in Equestria are doomed to spend their whole life being mocked, and they're supposed to be OK with that.

5) Bloom and Gloom: The whole episode being a dream makes it feel kinda pointless. Especially since everyone was acting way out of character in these dreams, meaning that they can't be applied to Apple Bloom's real life.

• Brohoof 1

The reason why Tanks for the Memories is my number one worst episode is because Rainbow gets away with her horrible actions, without facing any consequences.

RD has always been a bit of a selfish jerk, which is why she's my least favorite of the mane 6. But this episode exaggerated these traits to the point of making her downright villainous.

The worst part is that the whole episode could EASILY have been salvaged if there was just ONE scene of Rainbow Dash apologizing. But in the end, no one is even aware that she did all of these terrible things.

My other most hated episodes:

2) Slice of Life: This is the first (And so far, only) episode that I couldn't stand to watch in its entirety. The whole thing is an attempt to cram as many memes as they can into 22 minutes, with no regard as to whether it's actually entertaining. The scene that best illustrates this problem is the opening: the "joke" here (If you can call it that) is that Derpy says "Muffin". If you spend enough time on the internet to get the joke, you've already seen dozens of fanart which make the same joke, but better.

3) Party Pooped: These yaks felt like racist caricatures. Apparently their entire culture consists of moronic brutes who smash everything they don't like. Pinkie's trip wasn't that funny either. Only good part of the episode was that one nice yak that Pinkie met.

4) Appleoosa's Most Wanted: What can I say, apparently some people in Equestria are doomed to spend their whole life being mocked, and they're supposed to be OK with that.

5) Bloom and Gloom: The whole episode being a dream makes it feel kinda pointless. Especially since everyone was acting way out of character in these dreams, meaning that they can't be applied to Apple Bloom's real life.

Thanks for clearing that up. I cannot deny how lenient they are with certain things but I suppose the fact it's a kid's show can excuse what they've done even if it was done by insanity. I believe it would have been less horrid had RD at least apologized tampering with the making of winter even if it backfired to something positive.

As for your other reasons towards the other episodes. Please get put of my head. You're literally speaking my thoughts xD

• 2 weeks later...

I think this was my favorite season of lil' pwnies yet!

I say that, because there actually hasn't been that many bad episodes in my eyes. Some episodes focused on a lot more developement, heart, and comedy; three things I think MLP excels at when it really hones in on them.

My bottom episodes are...

What About Discord? Oh lord...this episode made me cringe. And bad, too. Twilight was out of character out of the wazoo during this; she kept saying simply because she was the princess of friendship she had to know what happened between the other ponies and discord, which is quite different from the awkward and clumsy Twilight earlier this season. It was annoying, tedious, and I doubt I will ever revisit it.

PRINCESS SPIKE HOLY COW. It is the WORST episode of MLP. Rainbow Falls doesn't compare to this garbage. That ending just ruined this episode for me...all that set up with spike rallying to get ponies to rebuild that statue, for it to fall again and the episode to end ambiguously. I barely remember laughing during it. It had such potential..I really want a good Spike episode, but this just makes me see Spike as a joke. He deserves better than that.

I agree with you on both of these episodes.  I actually used to think that Putting your hoof down was the worst episode of the series (which really hurts me when you take into account that it was a Fluttershy episode and that she's my favorite character), but after seeing Princess Spike, Aww H*** No!!!!

Scare Master. Kind of up there with the elements I didn't like about "Putting Your Hoof Down" and literally the only episode of this show I dislike, "Bats" can't say I came away from "Scare Master" with a sense of satisfaction. That's mostly due to the ending.

I don't like horror, and frankly people's fascination with putting themselves in positions where they seek to feel disempowered, fearful, and vulnerable honestly confounds me. I'll be the first to admit it's a deeply personal and uncommon stance. (And yes, I've heard the roller coaster comparison before . . . about a thousand times in fact. Frankly comparing flying and flipping through the air at high speed with the simulacra of being trapped with a powerful and malevolent presence seems highly apples and oranges as far as comparisons go.)

Speaking of which though, let's get back to why this one is on the bottom of my season five list. Sure Fluttershy does realize her joke has gone too far and I like how "it's just not for me" was the lesson they chose to end it on, but Jesus Christ the stuff the rest of the Mane Six went through was just cruel! You're telling me at no point in designing the pony McKamey Manor did "wow this could really screw somepony up" EVER enter Fluttershy's head?!

(For those of you who don't know what that place is, for the love of God don't look it up!)

Now there was stuff I did like about it, that Granny Smith wearing the horse mask gag sent me to the floor with laughter and some of the costume gags landed really well. (And . . . not going to lie, seeing Fluttershy in a little black dress made my day.  :wub: ) But afterwards it just left me with a very distinct sense of unrest.

• 2 weeks later...

Make New Friends, But Keep Discord

Anyone remember when Discord was an interesting character and not just a tool for the animators to cram in as many pop-cult references as possible? Doesn't help that I didn't care for Treehugger one bit.

Make New Friends, But Keep Discord is an episode that I have pretty mixed feelings about.  On the plus side, I thought that it was kind of cool to see Discord's "Chaos Realm" that he lived in which I felt had a very Alice In Wonderland kind of vibe.  Unfortunately the major problem that I had with it was how Discord becomes unbelievably over-the-top jealous of the fact that Fluttershy is spending time with Tree Hugger instead of him.

Admittedly, I tried to look at it from a different perspective and say that maybe he just had a problem with the fact that she and Tree Hugger had time to themselves when it used to be just him and Fluttershy having afternoon tea once every week, but I couldn't even support that as it was shown in Season 1 episode "Green Isn't Your Color" that Fluttershy has weekly spa dates with Rarity where they get to spend time alone together.  If Discord had no problem with Fluttershy spending time with Rarity at the spa, why's he soo jealous of Tree Hugger spending private time with her?

Also, on a side note, another problem that majorly bothered me was the fact that there were no repercussions as a result of Discord's betrayal of the Mane 6 after Twilight's Kingdom.  Everyone just seemed to have swept it under the rug like it never happened.  I love Discord, but you can't just tell me that the Mane 6 would still have their trust for him intact after something like that.  He broke their trust which I thought would've been leading up to him trying to get their trust back and even showing how hard it is to regain it which I thought would be a great, and even rarely seen, lesson for kids.  Even at the end of Twilight's Kingdom, when he asked where his throne in the castle was, Fluttershy stated that he hadn't "quite earned it yet" which I thought would be delved into deeper later on.  I'm sorry but I just can't stand for that.