Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can Mlp ever have the acclaim of bigger pop culture?

ManaMinori

When it comes to FiM and future gens, I often see many fans swear that like the Transformers, Pokemon, Dr Who, and Star wars fandoms, the g4 fndom will never die. But what of the acclaim of MLP in general? Well beyond g4? Can you see My Little pony ever going toe to hoof with some of the heavy hitters of pop culture, and gaining insane notoriety like, for instance, Star Wars: the force Awakens has been getting? Months of advance news coverage? Long lines weeks in advance by eager fans for future Mlp movie premiers? Red carpet Hollywood premeire screenings and celebs? Million dollar budgets? Unyeilding advertizing in everything?

I have a feeling that it'll probably be on a smaller scale than Doctor Who, Star Wars or Harry Potter. But hey, we have our own conventions, so it's far from impossible or even unlikely.

As for future generations...it depends on how well done those are.

Edited by PGNatsu

Nah. Back during s1 and s2 it had potential. but not any more. Its meme status died quite badly during season three with the brony blow up, and its been leaking fans ever since at a rate greater than its influx of adult fans.

if you look at stores like hot top and whatnot, the brony MLP stuff is sliding from the shelves more and more, and there's far less focus from hasbro now on brony centered collectors items than their used to be, now aiming more at "collectors" items that are aimed at little girls primarily but which they hope bronies will buy too (like the recent AJ/rarity/flim flam sets).

At this point, in order for MLP to hit a pop culture level of things like transformers or dr. who, it would need an incredible movie on par with frozen in success to make MLP up to that level. Which IS possible (Like it or not, the michael bay movies did a hell of a job on making transformers a bigger pop culture thing and increasing their mainstream appeal like what the star trek movies and the next generation did for star trek), but not really likely IMO.

• Brohoof 4

Nah. Back during s1 and s2 it had potential. but not any more. Its meme status died quite badly during season three with the brony blow up, and its been leaking fans ever since at a rate greater than its influx of adult fans.

if you look at stores like hot top and whatnot, the brony MLP stuff is sliding from the shelves more and more, and there's far less focus from hasbro now on brony centered collectors items than their used to be, now aiming more at "collectors" items that are aimed at little girls primarily but which they hope bronies will buy too (like the recent AJ/rarity/flim flam sets).

At this point, in order for MLP to hit a pop culture level of things like transformers or dr. who, it would need an incredible movie on par with frozen in success to make MLP up to that level. Which IS possible (Like it or not, the michael bay movies did a hell of a job on making transformers a bigger pop culture thing and increasing their mainstream appeal like what the star trek movies and the next generation did for star trek), but not really likely IMO.

I thought we were still meme-ing strong? I mean, just look at Starlight applauding or "I didn't listen!" Unless you're talking about how being a brony was the next big thing, which, yeah, you'd be right. MLP sorta found its place in geekdom and popular culture; it's basically "settled down".

I wasn't around when S1 and S2 were airing, so I don't really know what life was like back then for the brony community, but from what I've heard it seems that we're much less in-your-face about MLP towards other people.  Which I think is good, we don't want to come of as obsessive, annoying socially inept fanboys.

• Brohoof 1

Nah.

MLP is a rather niche thing among adults.

It also lacks the foundation laid by many other popular niche things that get more attention. Like TMNT. It's been around and popular for years.

MLP had an ok-for-the-time G1 and the abysmal G3 that solidified the franchise as a little girl thing.

TMNT was hugely popular in the 80s, had great video games, amazing movies, and that ball rolled to what it is now, a franchise that gets a lot of hype.

With MLP, it's got the stigma, it doesn't really appeal to everyone, it barely got the ball rolling, ehhh....it just has a lot working against it.

So maybe it could reach that bigger acclaim, but it would be hard and way off into the future. It also depends on what they do with the franchise. If it gets stale and old, people move on.

Gotta keep it fresh, but always something new.

Like tmnt. Comics, movies, video games, tv, toys, food products. Pokemon does this.

You just gotta make it a part of every day life to build momentum.

• Brohoof 3

I’ll be surprised if this fandom retains even a sliver of its current strength when it goes #DedShoew. Despite its active and creative community, we don’t have anything substantial to look forward to once the show dies. The toys are rubbish and the show itself has no great lore that we could use to make an expanded universe without killing each other over diverging fanons. The characters will live on since they have earned their place on the internet, but that’s that.

If you want G05 to have such acclaim, then you would probably need to sacrifice this fandom, lest you risk getting a “Starcraft Syndrome”. It happens when a mix of unconditional fan loyalty and rabid traditionalism coupled with a company’s lust for fast cash constricts any form of creativity and evolution, effectively transforming the product into a bland yet partially successful piece of withering feces.

In the end, ascending MLP into a heavy hitter like Star Wars would be a herculean task both for H-Bro and for those poor bastards in the pony team. It’s not so much that it can’t be done; it’s just that you’d have to persuade people with a good story and great eye candy, which are all things that can no longer be effectively achieved in G04 (or in a H-Bro show in general).

This show could be one of the greatest cartoons that has ever existed in the history of forever and it still would not reach that status in this society. Remember, it is called My Little Pony. Mainstream society will never want to glorify to that level, especially with us being the main fanbase. 

• Brohoof 4

let us not lose hope fellow bronies, do not give in to despair! FORSOOTH! the official MLP FIM movie is being made, when it is in theaters let us not delay to go. GO! go I say, to the movie premier. let them know that mlp lives! and IF, it is the end of gen 4, then I ask you, will you ride with me, ONE LAST TIME!

tumblr_mg4e0bdrNn1qdelmgo6_r1_500.gif

• Brohoof 3

This show could be one of the greatest cartoons that has ever existed in the history of forever and it still would not reach that status in this society. Remember, it is called My Little Pony. Mainstream society will never want to glorify to that level, especially with us being the main fanbase. 

Unfortunately I think this might be the case. Nevertheless, it will always remain special to me whether or not it has a high standing in pop culture :)

I never experienced a Brony decline during S3 or 4. It happened a bit during S5.

But I really miss fanwork like Spike da Dragon :mustache:.

That would be jumping way ahead right now. Adults watching cartoons like Frozen or Pixar movies is just slowly getting acceptable, something like My Little Pony would have to wait a bit to be merely put into certain references in general media.

Even today anime fans are disrespected called weaboos, Star Trek even as one of the longest ongoing and largest fanbase is considered nerdy etc.

Usually it sits on family movies that adults sat and watched with their kids, they don't stick around for shows.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, but it's not guaranteed by a long shot.

Being one of the oldest bronies on this forum, I have a different perspective than many. I'm old enough to have watched the Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, and so on, become big cultural juggernauts while also watching several other franchises peak and fade away.

I could go on about the history of the Star Trek and Doctor Who fandoms, and the parallels I can see between them and the Brony fandom. But I've done that before and it would just be repeating stuff most of you already know.

Something new to mention though, and it's a big obstacle in the way of this fandom becoming like those. In Star Trek and Doctor Who, the current IP holders and/or show runners are former fans of the original versions of the franchises. Many of whom got into their careers *because* they saw the original runs of those shows as kids and wanted to be part of that. The fandoms are really and truly self-sustaining because the inmates are running the asylums. Technically all the Doctor Who episodes of the modern era are fan-made content, just stamped with BBC approval.

The problem here is that MLP:FiM is not actually owned by a media company. It's owned by a toy company, and one that's really not that hot at making their own toys anymore as they shop that out to subcontractors. When Hasbro was moving towards becoming a media company that just happened to be producing toys, then fans of the various Hasbro properties becoming movers and shakers in their corporate hierarchy over time was not only possible but likely. But Disney put a kabosh on that by throwing up barriers that prevented Hasbro from making that move and becoming a direct competitor. Because of that, it's going to be more difficult for someone inspired by the MLP cartoons or toys to end up in a position of real control over the franchise. Not impossible, but more difficult than it would have been.

• Brohoof 5

Like my friend already said. It could become one of the greatest cartoons and i think the fandom still wouldn't get as big as it is now. We probably survive after the show is done. But when we compare it, to the hype that Star Wars the force awakens created over the course of this year, we are still lightyears away from it.

• Brohoof 2

MLP will never be as widespread as Star Wars, Star Trek or Doctor Who but it will never truly die out either.  We've made our mark in present-day culture and, although its not as grand as those made by media juggernauts, I think it's something we can be proud to have been a part of.

• Brohoof 2

MLP will never come close to Star Wars-level relevance, but in fairness nothing ever will probably. I'm fairly certain the last movie that was as hyped as The Force Awakens is was The Phantom Menace. Maybe Avatar. Point is, no cartoon series, especially one with a niche audience like MLP will ever become that big. MLP as a brand though is and will continue to be relevant. The show is basically an internet meme that has already peaked in relevance. The fact is, G4 MLP was really unique. It completely subverted expectations and attracted an unexpected audience in a way that I don't think can be replicated (due to it having broken a mold so to speak). The show or any like it will never be as big a deal as G4 was from 2012-2014. The fandom isn't going to die though.

G4 MLP's already had its time to shine. If it's going to remain relevant, it will have to inspire other shows that become big (ie create a niche market/influence the cartoon industry the way shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion or K-On! etc have for anime)

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think the brony fandom will completely die for a long time, but I don't think it will ever get nearly as big as others. It will NEVER be NEARLY as big as Star Wars, Dr Who, Harry Potter, Pokemon, etc... It may loose momentum, but it won't go away.

• Brohoof 3

Would you say MLP is still a niche show?

I would like to say that MLP is emerging from niche show status.  It does get recognition and nods from the mainstream media that most cartoons don't.  They were in a promotional spot for this year's Super Bowl after all.  ;)  Still, it has yet to gain the broad based appeal of other animated franchises like Spongebob or the Simpsons.  I'm still waiting for a Twilight Sparkle balloon in the Macy's parade.  :adorkable:

• Brohoof 3

Our entire society is based around the idea entertainment intended for males is superior than female entertainment, and male entertainment must revolve around violence, cynicism, and sexuality. It's indoctrinated in us from day 1. This will never change. MLP can't possibly be accepted unless it incorporates these elements.

Edited by EquestriaGuy