Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Twilight touted as over powered?

TheMarkz0ne

I never understood this when I started the show. We all know she's a gifted unicorn and that caused Celestia to take her under as a disciple. But Twilight has never defended Equestria on her own, and I am happy that in seasons 1 and 2 it was a combination involving her friends.

Twilight in season 1 stood no chance against Nightmare Moon

Twilight struggled to lift an Ursa Minor 

Discord is Discord

Twilight failed to beat Chrysalis.

Twilight failed to beat Sombra 

Twilight needed to "lose" to beat Tirek with rainbow power

Twilight could barely keep up with Starlight in the S5 finale.

S5 Twilight, even though tired, had to flee Nightmare Moon. 

Celestia knew that Twilight making friends in Ponyville was key for her to discover the Elements of Harmony. Twilight was the one to discover all the solutions to the problems as well as writing those letters that helped her defeat Discord and break through Sombra's traps.

I have no idea why people think she is overpowered. She had four alicorn powers in her when she fought Tirek so that doesn't count as her power.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

People have that false misconception that: Alicorn = Overpowered. But let's face it. Even Celestia got her Butt kicked in Season 2 by Chrysalis and even Luna had to struggle with her power in "do princesses dream of magical Sheep?..."

So yeah, no idea.

• Brohoof 3

IMO, they made the Mane 6 give back the Elements of Harmony because they were too much a Deus Ex Machina.  But, I've never thought Twilight was overpowered.  Mind you, wizards do have to be used carefully because a character that can do anything CAN be overpowered if misused.  But, so far at least, the writers have avoided this problem.

alicorns are far more powerful than the average pony. luna could destroy all of equestrian with just her dreams, that seems pretty overpowered. also chrysalis is a dark alicorn. twilight is not overpowered as she has not mastered her magic and has quite frankly slacked off in her study of magic. I hope twilight learns more magic in season 6.

• Brohoof 1

It's not that she's overpowered in general, it's that she's far more overpowered than her friends. And that's something that makes her more useful than them on a level which is quite considerable. Ultimately, they can't compete. 

It particularly gets annoying in episodes such as Made in Manehattan where the mane five actually wish that they had brought Twilight along so that she could solve their problem magically in roughly three seconds. 

• Brohoof 3

It's not that she's overpowered in general, it's that she's far more overpowered than her friends. And that's something that makes her more useful than them on a level which is quite considerable. Ultimately, they can't compete. 

It particularly gets annoying in episodes such as Made in Manehattan where the mane five actually wish that they had brought Twilight along so that she could solve their problem magically in roughly three seconds. 

The mane five put too much faith in Twilight but as shown in many occasions like in Equestria Girls, Twilight doesn't always know the solution. Twilight has sort of proven she could solve many problems like in Magical Mystery Cure and the fight against Discord. It's not a matter of her actually being overpowered but being intelligent, and that factor is something the mane five had become reliant on. And the mane five still pull out without her.

by herself she is very weak on her own she is maybe 25-30% stronger as an alicorn, but outside of that she is very weak. and all the time starlight was training twi was bored so...yep 

I can see a distancing of liking Twilight since she became an alicorn. So far alicorn characters are usually nothing more than for support, a plot device and acting like a sort of authority figure throughout the show. They weren't really the focus of the show and that was okay with me so Twilight becoming an alicorn seems to have taken that condition as well. Not to mention the character just doesn't feel the same since she became an alicorn. 

More like underwhelming, alicorn status has just confirmed to be just a princess crown.

If anything, Twilight IS the most powerful Unicorn/Alicorn there is beside Starlight and Sombra, but Starlight might just be the stronger one and smarter since she knows how to hack other spell and float with magic all the time.

It's really her being an alicorn that is putting me off. I honestly wouldn't care if she was overpowered just not an alicorn. I kind of expected her to be a "Naruto" or something when she began to exhibit powerful excessive magic when she did her test and when she goes Avatar gets glowy eyes.

I still don't like her being an alicorn that's what bothers me.

Edited by cider float

she was destined to be a alicorn from the moment she was born, she is magic incarnate and she should be overpowered. eventually she should become the most powerful pony in equestria. I cant stand hearing people say starlight is more powerful, its not that I don't like starlight as a character, its just that showing her as more powerful than twilight spits in the face of canon and continuity! starlights talent is nullification magic, not all magic like twilight.

It's really her being an alicorn that is putting me off. I honestly wouldn't care if she was overpowered just not an alicorn. I kind of expected her to be a "Naruto" or something when she began to exhibit powerful excessive magic when she did her test and when she goes Avatar gets glowy eyes.

I still don't like her being an alicorn that's what bothers me.

Lol the first comic arc. Twilight should have let Chrysalis show her the ropes, Chrysalis wanted to unleash her potential while Celestia wanted Twilight to do erans( lol I'm joking) 

Let me just give this as an example: In power ponies the other six GAINED powers. Twilight LOST powers.

That's how freaking overpowered she is that the "Super powers" she had in power ponies were WEAKER than her normal toolset! XD
Seriously, she busts out vastly more powerful magic than the masked matter horn freeze powers constantly (Like that mass paralysis ability, reversing gravity, shield spells, teleporting...).

I mean, when you actively have to limit her powers to avoid upstaging Uber level powers for the other five, you know she seems pretty freaking OP.

Add in that she is strong enough to go toe to toe with and DEFEAT chrysalis according to the comics, and you've got some issues here.
(And like clover says, its not specifically that she's OP in equestria, its that she's OP compared to her friends, and her power level has been increased MASSIVELY compared to her season 1 self where she'd misfire her spells or screw up alot, while she pretty much NEVER messes up a spell and can do whatever the plot requires, to say nothing of being an alicorn)

THIS.

also, agreed.

• Brohoof 1

Let me just give this as an example: In power ponies the other six GAINED powers. Twilight LOST powers.

That's how freaking overpowered she is that the "Super powers" she had in power ponies were WEAKER than her normal toolset! XD

Seriously, she busts out vastly more powerful magic than the masked matter horn freeze powers constantly (Like that mass paralysis ability, reversing gravity, shield spells, teleporting...).

I mean, when you actively have to limit her powers to avoid upstaging Uber level powers for the other five, you know she seems pretty freaking OP.

Add in that she is strong enough to go toe to toe with and DEFEAT chrysalis according to the comics, and you've got some issues here.

(And like clover says, its not specifically that she's OP in equestria, its that she's OP compared to her friends, and her power level has been increased MASSIVELY compared to her season 1 self where she'd misfire her spells or screw up alot, while she pretty much NEVER messes up a spell and can do whatever the plot requires, to say nothing of being an alicorn)

THIS.

also, agreed.

I don't think Twilight can take on any villain alone. Not even Celestia can handle Discord or Tirek alone. 

THIS.

also, agreed.

I agree Twilight was depowered in Power Ponies but so was Pinkie Pie. She already had super speed in Equestria like how she chases RD around with ease plus her 4th wall powers. As a Power Pony she traded all of that for super speed.

In my opinion, it's for several reason, first of which is that Magic is poorly defined within Equestria, basically there are no hard rules or limitations on what magic can do in Equestria. Want to time Travel? We got a spell for that. Want to change species? Got something right here! and so on.  Secondly, Twilight has been touted as a magical prodigy since Boast Busters, which outright admitted Twilight has more magical capabilities that most unicorns.  Then the show has also further stated that Alicorns have even more magical potential, with Celestia being able to raise the sun, something only the entire Unicorn race combined could do, nevermind that the 4 Alicorns combined was equal to all of Equestrian magic PLUS all the chaos magic.  So you have Twilight, a magical genius, mixed with the powers of a demigod or the like, and then combine that with Magic that has no bounds or limitations to it and you have a character that could very easily whip up a solution to a ton of problems and could deal with pest no sweat.

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say Twilight is overpowered, but she is given noticeably more special attention than any other character in the show. This is easily most prominent in the 2-parters.

If anything Discord is overpowered. He didn't have to learn how to use any spells and he could probably do everything Twilight could do in a snap with no energy or concentration required. So far he and Twilight are the only ones that could teleport. 

If anything Discord is overpowered. He didn't have to learn how to use any spells and he could probably do everything Twilight could do in a snap with no energy or concentration required. So far he and Twilight are the only ones that could teleport. 

Not quite. Celestia teleported away at the end of Lesson Zero, and Sunset used teleportation to avoid Twilight in the first Equestria Girls movie.

post-2257-0-41485700-1451807613_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-25832800-1451807614_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-94905800-1451807614_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-86354200-1451807684_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-05067500-1451807686_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-97668400-1451807687_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-60311300-1451807689_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Still doesn't change that Discord is overpowered. 

I didn't say it did. :umad: He is indeed overpowered. But it's because he controls chaos magic and is basically a force of nature, not because he can teleport, no matter how little effort he needs. Basically, the rules don't apply to him.

• Brohoof 1