Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Sunbutt be punished? Seasonal spotlight on her?

ManaMinori

Celestia isn't the princess that should be punished, that title goes to the princess that started a rebellion against her sister because she didn't get enough attention.

Also don't call Celestia Sunbutt. Her cutie mark is clearly on her hide legs and not on her butt.

Edited by Gestum
  • Brohoof 5

Celestia isn't the princess that should be punished, that title goes to the princess that started a rebellion against her sister because she didn't get enough attention.

To be fair, she had suffered and admitted to her faults for causing it, even creating a self inflicting spirit just to punish herself for what she had done.

• Brohoof 1

To be fair, she had suffered and admitted to her faults for causing it, even creating a self inflicting spirit just to punish herself for what she had done.

Well, I'm just saying that if any princess should get punished for their mistakes in the past then it should be Luna.
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I have to wonder what Luna fans are thinking. Maybe they want Celestia to mind control her sister of something. An episode or a few that expands on their relationship would be cool, and "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" was a good opportunity. Too bad even an infant can already guess the actual outcome.

It's a case of trying to make their favorite character look better for an abhorrent action they committed. Ironically, Luna would be ticked off at those certain individuals trying to put her turn to the darkside in a positive light as she abhors what she had done.

So the staff keeps saying that Celestia was some great hero, but the show does nothing to support that idea. I have to wonder if they have even noticed this. It's also too bad that her relationship with Twilight is almost nonexistent despite the show stating otherwise.

I've said in other threads that the characters are only as good as their writers. To expand on that a little, if a character is described as powerful and competent with the actual execution always making said character a helpless moron, what does that say about the creative team?

It doesn't portray their skills at writing Celestia in a positive direction no doubt. I just hope people at cons or on twitter have complained about it enough that they may realize that perhaps Celestia really has been lackluster in the show. I just hope that quote of trying to do a Celestia episode, preferably a good one of course, is true and we see it in S6.

Well, I'm just saying that if any princess should get punished for their mistakes in the past then it should be Luna.

I know and I agree with it, just pointing out that at least Luna recognizes and has tried to make amends for it. I just wish Celestia would get some love in the writing department her sister is receiving from the show.

• Brohoof 2

Is this click bait or just hiatus? You people need to praise the sun more!

Firstly: Sunset Shimmer is as canon as IDW comics, and IDW comics are as canon as Chris-chan’s Sonichu.

Secondly: if Celestia HAS to be responsible for all the stupid shit to propel the plot, then Celestia is not in fact responsible for all the stupid shit unless the stupid shit in question manifested itself as a direct result of her personality and was USED to reflect said personality in the original trademarked work by the company’s writers. There is reasonable doubt that Celestia is in fact incompetent, though there is quite a reasonable suspicion that she is just an unfortunate victim of writers’ incompetence. It also turns out the Pure and Graceful Sunset had to get dumped into that human realm one way or another cause we needed a villainous cheerleader for the EQG plot. I can almost guarantee that Celestia wasn’t on the minds of our glorious writers in the making of said “toy commercial”.

Thirdly: all things aside, do you really think Tartarus has nothing better to do than to drag quite decent rulers down into the pit?! In accordance with each and every IRL mythology ever, it would be Luna, Sunset, and Glimmer who would get dragged down there by screaming furies. It doesn’t matter why you did what you did, but once the vile deed is done your ass belongs to darkness. No exceptions. No mercy. However, incompetence, if true, is usually punished by mortal means. Tartarus ain’t got time for your mortal hullabaloo.

So how about this: we let the underworld police actually do their job for once and punish those who meddle with magical affairs that threaten not just everypony but every damn living thing on the entire plane. Pony livers each day 365 days a year! With onions!

• Brohoof 4

wheras Luna, before NMM hasn't also prevented the destruction of Equestria? She still was punished for her actions, at some point. Why should the other sister get off scot-free, for HER failings?

When did they punish Luna for her actions as Nightmare Moon? 

And your point is...? I mean, punishing yourself and getting punished by other people are completely different things.  

If you'd been banished for 1000 years while a prisioner in your own body, I don't think the ponies could even come up with a form of punishment that could top that even if they tried. XD

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 2

Even if Celestia should be punished (and I do not agree with that premise), we've seen pretty clearly that Equestria doesn't really do that sort of thing on a grand scale. Criminals, villains, and wrongdoers are dealt with in other ways. Discord simply renounces his old ways and pinkie-swears-cross-my-heart-hope-to-die that he won't try to take over Equestria again, and everyone just sort of accepts that. Sunset Shimmer literally attempts to enslave an entire school and when she apologizes, everyone says "huh, okay, that's cool I guess. No hard feelings." 

Starlight Glimmer uses advanced magic to tamper with the very fabric of reality, causing unimaginable suffering to countless ponies in countless alternate timelines, as revenge for Twilight ruining her plans to forcibly impose her will on an isolated village of emotionally and mentally abused ponies. Then she is stopped, and after a two-minute speech by Twlight, she is sentenced for her crimes...to become their new bestest friend!

The only options to punish wrongdoers in Equestria seem to be heartfelt personality changes brought on by short speeches (Starlight Glimmer, Sunset Shimmer), heartfelt personality changes brought on by a combination of speeches and having the crap kicked out of you (Nightmare Moon, Discord), being basically ignored (Trixie), or being violently destroyed (Sombra, Tirek). 

I really think there should be some other option. Maybe at least put a parole ankle-bracelet on someone after they try to magically murder you not just once, but in 10000 different timelines?

Well actually she probably had one of the worst punishments aside from Tirek and Sombra. Being imprisoned in the moon for 1000 years. I mean talk about being held back.

Starlight Glimmer is the one that deserves a punishment worst than what Discord or Tirek deserves. She was messing with time. If the time cops were real I can't fathom what punishment they would give her with my linear timeline self. It would probably a punishment that lasts several lifetimes on different timelines or something.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Well actually she probably had one of the worst punishments aside from Tirek and Sombra. Being imprisoned in the moon for 1000 years.

But she wasn't punished enough, she should at least lose her title of princess.

True. But it must be monarchy rules.

Then again even in human monarchies royalty is stripped of their titles.

Edited by cider float

Why would she be punished? Celestia has never been shown to have intentionally done any thing malicious. You could maybe argue that she has been incompetent and made poor decisions from time to time, but that hardly merits banishment or other punishment. 

It seems like you are arguing that she should be literally banished to hell simply for not being perfect.

• Brohoof 3

Why would she be punished? Celestia has never been shown to have intentionally done any thing malicious. You could maybe argue that she has been incompetent and made poor decisions from time to time, but that hardly merits banishment or other punishment. 

It seems like you are arguing that she should be literally banished to hell simply for not being perfect.

She's just a bit incompetent, but on her behalf lot of the things she fails against were pretty far behind her control. 

Discord and Chrysalis are some serious threats that an alicorn who no longer has the Elements of Harmony can deal with. Twilight wasn't ready to take the throne so I guess she still holds the title.

I mean if you put say put any other character on the throne they would have all failed somewhat. Maybe except Zecora....

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

I could be persuaded to support the imprisonment of some past U.S. presidents in Tartarus, but by no means would I support the incarceration of Celestia in what is essentially, by Equestrian standards, a maximum security prison.  That'd be silly.

I think the not-overtly-villainous ponies should get away with everything; I really don't care.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby

Freeing her from royal responsibility... *imagines Luna hopping around yelling "freeeedooooom!!!!"*

oh that is not gonna end well... XD

Edited by Malinter