Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was the end of Friendship Games rushed?

DerpyFIM4

Frindship games ending  

16 users have voted

1. 1. Was the end rushed?

• Yes
    • No

Honestly; I thought the pace was fine and I liked how the ending somewhat with full circle with Sunset's character. While I can see why some would see it as a rehash; I just see it as Sunset looking at her past self and finally learning how to deal with and, in a metaphorical and literal sense, dispel of the demon of her past.

• Brohoof 2

While I wish the battle was a bit longer, I really enjoyed the call back to the ending of the first movie and how Sunset Shimmer's character has gone full circle.

So I am satisfied with it and don't think it is too rushed.

Considering an entire subplot was removed from the film, which knocked off about 15-20 minutes from the movie, I'd say it was rushed. They had to think of a way to wrap things up without that subplot so they kind of threw something together quickly. Considering the deleted scenes we know of might not even make up all the scenes the first version of the film may have had a lot more content that people were complaining it was lacking.

I don't think it was just the end that was rushed. I feel like we should have had more time to meet the Crystal Prep students, give Miss Cinch a bit more development, and maybe have at least some kind of tiebreaking event at the end, instead of the cheesy "everybody wins!" solution. Well, it is a movie for little girls, so I can't really complain about that last one. But I guess they wanted to make it the same length as the first 2, so some of the story had to get sacrificed.

I don't think it was just the end that was rushed. I feel like we should have had more time to meet the Crystal Prep students, give Miss Cinch a bit more development, and maybe have at least some kind of tiebreaking event at the end, instead of the cheesy "everybody wins!" solution. Well, it is a movie for little girls, so I can't really complain about that last one. But I guess they wanted to make it the same length as the first 2, so some of the story had to get sacrificed.

Or they needed to make more room for Tara Strong, their "famous" voice talent. I feel like they sacrificed so much so that they had an excuse to have more Tara Strong.

Or they needed to make more room for Tara Strong, their "famous" voice talent. I feel like they sacrificed so much so that they had an excuse to have more Tara Strong. 

Yeah, that could definitely have been another factor.

I'd have liked to see the reactions of the ponies in Equestria

And a much longer battle between Midnight Sparkle and Radiant Shimmer

Can't do much about the first one, but I found the Japanese version for the second part:

• Brohoof 1

I don't consider it to be rushed. As always in movies like these you know the 'final challenge' is going to be where everything goes to hell, and I think 'Unleash The Magic' is a really nice musical buildup to that moment. The parallels between the first movie and FG are obvious of course, and they form a nice mirror with Sunset now being the one doing the reasoning and wielding the power of friendship. I think that ties in nicely with the overall 'mirror' theme these movies seem to follow.

Oh, so the disagreement isn't on what happened, it's on what it means. For example, we all agree that the third was a repeat of the fist, but it could be considered good. 

However, Sunset Shimmer was evil since the beginning of the movie, twilight went from good to evil in just a few seconds.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! I personally HATED the friendship games! The plot made absolutely no sense and the ending was so random! They could have spent the entire movie learning how to get along as friends from different schools, the whole "magic holes in the air to equestria" thing was just so random! I liked the theme song, but the rest of the music was just OK... nothing that special. All of the EG movies are rushed and they could really split each one up into TWO movies, but friendship games was by far the worst one, in my opinion. That's just me tho!  :blink:

its not the ending, its the movie ITSELF. You can clearly tell multiple plot tumors and half baked ideas that are still floating around in the movie, like they had a bunch of different ideas and no idea where they wanted to go with things until they were at the very end of production, leading to a mish-mash of half done crap.

For example, the finale plot idea is to revolve around Twilight and her mirroring Sunset shimmer, with her coming to overcome her fears of others and embrace friendship, as well as being exposed to magic.

However, look at the rest of the movie: the friendship games and the shadowbolts is COMPLETELY superfluous to this. Like, Sunny flair gets ONE freaking line, and the rest of the shadowbolts are pretty much ignored in terms of characterizing them or showing us who they are, with the competition angle pretty much tacked onto the movie.

Looking at the shadowbolts and the promo info about them it seems like they'd originally had an idea of "Hey, lets make a nega-mane six kind of team!" with the shadowbolts having been intended to be foils for the group. But they they decided "No, twilight is the thing we need to focus on here", leaving that entire plot and characters just "There" with nothing to show for. Like, it seems like a big idea was to have the movie show the two teams coming together as friends and putting aside their rivalry (Like look at the original cut ending focusing on the Shadowbolts as a group), but there's nothing there: the shadowbolts all just decide at the end to randomly stop being jerks, the end.

Additionally, there's that entire cut plot of sunset wanting to go home that they realized added nothing.

FG really comes across as the most rushed, unfocused cluster of ideas yet for an EQG movie, and is the worst of the series by far IMO.