Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there anyone else who doesn't care for Discord?

Phill

I'm not saying he's a bad character, but I really don't care that much about him, and if he was written off the show it wouldn't bother me at all. Does anyone else feel the same way? Because I see so many people rant and rave about how great of a character Discord is, and he's never been all that special to me. I think he's a little overrated

Edited by Phill

Disocrd is funny and cool and all, but I don't rave about him like some other fans do.

I don't find him to be that great.

• Brohoof 4

I'm glad he was a villain, being a believer in the Chaos Theory. What I mean by this is, I think things would have been different and worked out so well if they animated something else. Everything that happened after would have been different.

Besides all that stuff, I guess I like him as a villain. HOWEVER, I feel like he appeared way too much after his reform. After that, he's becoming a little annoying. He's more of a comic relief side-character now. I don't mind that he was reformed, and I think his voice actor is amazing, but I feel like he just appears too much.

Besides all that stuff, I guess I like him as a villain. HOWEVER, I feel like he appeared way too much after his reform. After that, he's becoming a little annoying. He's more of a comic relief side-character now. I don't mind that he was reformed, and I think his voice actor is amazing, but I feel like he just appears too much.

I agree with this. I think Discord works best in small doses 

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad he was a villain, being a believer in the Chaos Theory. What I mean by this is, I think things would have been different and worked out so well if they animated something else. Everything that happened after would have been different.

Sorry, should've added this earlier. Anyhow, with how much Discord appears, you'd assume John De Lancie lives in the studio where they record MLP's voice acting. >.>

Spirits that i've cited - My commands ignore

I'm very tired of Discord and the last two episodes pretty much killed him for me.

Go to 18:25 and you see me agree. If he's serious, only the gods know. :D

Edited by Swifty

I like him sometimes. His episodes are hit or miss. I like his relationship with Fluttershy. To me it makes her more interesting, but the episode I I hated most was "What About Discord."  I felt bad for Twilight. He was being cruel. However, I loved "Make New Friends but Keep Discord." It was a good lesson for kids (or posessive adults for that matter)....not to mention I loved Maude's role in it lol. I also liked "Keep Calm and Flutter On."

• Brohoof 1

Sure Discord had the best reformation out of all the villains but I still don't like him.

He's like that character in someone's RP that is so overpowered and can do anything and his only weakness is "he can become angry and start killing his friends."

Like that's not a weakness seriously. I'm okay if Discord was as underrepresented like Sombra or Chrysalis and being more like some kind of enigmatic character like Starswirl only mentioned briefly from time to time but he's an ongoing character as represented as Spike that's what's annoying.

Discord, to me, is the only character that has been consistent throughout the entire show. Not once has he ever truly broken character but more so gradually went from point A (an evil manipulative jokster planning to bring Equestria chaos) to point B (a manipulative joskter who joined the good side and befriends ponies)

In each episode featuring Discord, Discord is the star. That in itself is important.

Of course, he is only executed correctly because he isn't in every episode. Whereas the Mane Six has been in over 100 episodes, so it's understandable that they've broken character or regressed in some way throughout this time because writers need a plot or lesson to teach.

However, "What about Discord" was a "miss" for me instead of a hit. That episode depended ENTIRELY on his silly antics ans caused most of the mane six to break character in some way. It just didn't feel right at all.

I love Discord as a character and he's funny when he isn't over the top. I disagree that he is exexuted to be overpowering, because he isn't. That's our own speculation based on the fact that Discord's power is HIS own making his chaotic gift a rare thing to possess and tough to beat. But he is defeatable nonetheless.

I only hope they be careful in when to let Discord appear. Keep his appearences light, otherwise he'll turn into an annoying washed up character.

• Brohoof 1

I like Discord on the whole, 'The return of harmony' was a great episode(s).  I do feel though that since his reformation he has lost his edge.  He was good again in 'Twilight's kingdom' when he briefly returned to his old self, but his two season five episodes felt forced to me, they didn't show him in his best light.

I think they were more for fan service, which I don't usually have a problem with, I loved 'Slice of life'.  But where 'Slice of life' filled a gap for a bit of background pony love, 'Make new friends but keep Discord' and 'What about Discord' both felt unnecessary and filler-like.

Where does one draw the balance though?  If they had never reformed Discord he could have come back again as a recurring villain, but that would get old very fast, but his reformation stripped away the best part of him, his casual, even cheerful, malevolence.

• Brohoof 1

Outside of Starlight Glimmer, Discord is the best villain in the entire show. Everything about him, from his unpredictability to his morale, made his character so compelingMore often than not, Discord is the biggest highlight of the episodes he stars in, even in the mediocre or bad ones.

The two exceptions are:

1. Three's a Crowd: Discord set Cadance and Twilight on a dangerous mission — knowing that he's not sick at all — with the intent to kill them. This is incredibly OOC of Discord: He's many things, but to kill isn't one of them!
  2. What About Discord?: Of course, this episode is just incredibly boring and hinged on the ReMane Five being out of character. But this episode became more insufferable when Discord revealed to being an ass just to "teach" Twilight.

Uh… no, no, no, NO!

Discord may be a jerk, but even he understands what lines not cross. Not only was this scene very OOC of him. He validated Twilight's distrust of him.
  • Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...

Outside of Starlight Glimmer, Discord is the best villain in the entire show. Everything about him, from his unpredictability to his morale, made his character so compelingMore often than not, Discord is the biggest highlight of the episodes he stars in, even in the mediocre or bad ones.

The two exceptions are:

1. Three's a Crowd: Discord set Cadance and Twilight on a dangerous mission — knowing that he's not sick at all — with the intent to kill them. This is incredibly OOC of Discord: He's many things, but to kill isn't one of them!
  2. What About Discord?: Of course, this episode is just incredibly boring and hinged on the ReMane Five being out of character. But this episode became more insufferable when Discord revealed to being an ass just to "teach" Twilight.

Uh… no, no, no, NO!

Discord may be a jerk, but even he understands what lines not cross. Not only was this scene very OOC of him. He validated Twilight's distrust of him.

Agree about 2).

- - - - 

But, for the case on 1):

Discord was surprised when the Tatzelwurm came from the ground and attack them (he even asked what was that thing!).

Not to mention he was not inmune to the disease the creature carried [meaning he never had contact with it].

He was aware of the sheer size of the plant that will "cure" his fake blue disease (he may had seen it before in the past, or perhaps read about it); with the real "challenge" being just flying there and unrooting/floating a very heavy plant on the right moment [the remedy is the plant itself, not the flower]; as it had to be colected at an specific hour.

If he ever considered the posibility of a naturally deadly creature to be cappable to kill both princesses, he would have watched it from afar (if anything to see how they manage to survive, or who will run leaving the other to die). Then he will be not surprised later when the worm attacked again.

Also, since he make it clear to Rarity and Applejack that he will had to go with Twilight and Cadance (since they were also "sick" ; plus Rainbow Dash and Pinkie not being "available"); then when they will notice the Princesses missing, he will become the prime suspect [since in S4E02 he admitted to be guilty (tough not responsable) for the series of events that lead to the capture of Luna and Celestia, another pair of Princesses of Equestria].

It is just too careless for no good reason. Even if he was being random and "without making sense"; the lack of the Elements of Harmony should not give him free card in the absense of Fluttershy [the same strategic planning for the seeds applies here, as he will take account of Fluttershy eventual return and fury].

• Brohoof 1