Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How did Sunburst get into Celestia's school?

ggg-2

By what we saw, and by his own admission, Sunburst isn't very powerful with magic, he's just extremely knowledgeable. But then, how did he get into Celestia's school, presuming all the students' entrance exams are similar to Twilight's?

• Brohoof 1

Remember, Twilight was totally flunking her test entirely until the Sonic Rainboom happened, and she had the huge burst of magic.

Sunburst doesn't seem to be that powerful, but I imagine he was actually able to do the magic for the exam, not as nervous as Twilight was. I highly doubt the students usually manage to hatch the dragon egg either, if that's normal, otherwise, why aren't more unicorns running around with dragon assistants? He likely was just good enough to pass.

He also probably got through the written exam with flying colors, if there was one.

• Brohoof 5

Use the Med School analogy with someone who wishes to be a surgeon. To get in you require a strong grasp of math, physics, life sciences, and logical deduction. Almost all applicants with solid MCAT's and a 3.7 sGPA show great potential. Basically, you gotta be a sharp cookie!

What isn't measurable is the limit of capability and the ability to put knowledge into practical application. What isn't known is whether or not a MD can cut! You may be able to diagnose and treat better than every single one of your peers, and have the highest marks ... but even sp you can still not make it as a surgeon.

Twilight and Starlight are natural surgeons. Sunburst is not. He had a lower ceiling.

• Brohoof 3

Use the Med School analogy with someone who wishes to be a surgeon. To get in you require a strong grasp of math, physics, life sciences, and logical deduction. Almost all applicants with solid MCAT's and a 3.7 sGPA show great potential. Basically, you gotta be a sharp cookie!

What isn't measurable is the limit of capability and the ability to put knowledge into practical application. What isn't known is whether or not a MD can cut! You may be able to diagnose and treat better than every single one of your peers, and have the highest marks ... but even sp you can still not make it as a surgeon.

Twilight and Starlight are natural surgeons. Sunburst is not. He had a lower ceiling.

^This. My friend has been trying to get into nursing for quite a while. He recently switched over to medical support worker, but as usual, he still failed the practicum for that. He's quite knowledgable when it comes to memorizing the stuff he learned, and he does really well on written tests, but when it comes to actually implementing his knowledge in a physical test, he seems to be having difficulty. I hope he passes eventually, as he has been quite frustrated.

I definitely see Sunburst as that character. Magic is just as much a practical skill as it is academically based. One needs to know a lot of stuff, but also needs to be able to perform the magic learned in the pages of various books. The skills are connected, but they are also two different things. In my cognitive science class I'm learning that you can't get a feel for something until you physically try it, no matter how much you read about it. Some people, and evidently ponies, have more difficulty transferring their knowledge into physical actions than others. That's a very real thing, and I'm kind of glad FiM was clever enough to introduce a character like that. Plus, it turned out that there was a situation where Sunburst's knowledge was useful, as he knew something even the princesses didn't. Maybe the world would be a better place if academics with little practical skill could be paired off with someone who has practical skill but lacks knowledge. Forming a symbiotic relationship like that could benefit both parties, and help solve problems that neither individual could on their own.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Plus, it turned out that there was a situation where Sunburst's knowledge was useful, as he knew something even the princesses didn't. Maybe the world would be a better place if academics with little practical skill could be paired off with someone who has practical skill but lacks knowledge. Forming a symbiotic relationship like that could benefit both parties, and help solve problems that neither individual could on their own.

I wholy agree, and also this is what makes Sunburst and Starlight getting seperated even more tragic; they would have been able to form such a symbiotic relationship. In fact, that is what their whole friendship was based on. They make such a good team...

My idea is, that back then(No matter if Sunset Shimmer is canon or not), Celestia was probably looking for the element of magic for the return of Luna. So they might gave a far harder exam to master then normally.

After she took Twilight as her personal student, sensing that she is the element needed, everypony else got a rather standard exam to pass, what might happened to Sunburst. Afterall it's not known if Sunburst came there before or after Twilight passed.

• Brohoof 2

I think at the time Sunburst knew a lot about magic and was skilled enough to get into Celestia's school, now he's still skilled at magic just isn't as good at practicing it as Twilight or Sunset is.

Edited by MLPFanatic34

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly magic is like chess.  You get some child prodigies, but most are not that great as adults (Of course, a few (Capablanca, Fischer, etc.) grow up to be World Chess Champion).  Twilight is like that & Sunburst just wasn't