Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Steven Magnet. How did he get the name?

83awsm

Was lurking on the internet after rewatching the opening episodes of season 1 and noticed that the sea serpent was dubbed "Steven Magnet". Seems like an unrelated name, but alot of fans have gone along with it. How did he get the name and what cannon name do you think the show would have given him? Posted Image Edited by 83awsm
  • Brohoof 1

Mmmhmm, Captions.

As far as canon names are concerned...I'm sure the animators called him something. Just as Derpy really didn't have a name, but it has been confirmed to be a name used by the animators.

So I'm sure if they ever make him again, they'd feel just fine calling him the fan name. He kinda does look like a Steve.

Although, if he does get a real name... I'd probably go with Indigo... or something slightly more sexually-questionable. Justin Beiber?

Well the question has been answered, so I'll leave this here, Because Rarity said he looks smashing

post-820-0-62322000-1325217111_thumb.png

Edited by Narutardedscum
  • Brohoof 3

Google has an optional feature built into the Youtube player called Caption Transcribe, which scans the audio in real-time and generates subtitles based upon what it "thinks" it's hearing as words.

It understood "Your fabulous manicure," as "steven magnets" and a meme was born.

The caption feature is quite unreliable if the audio contains sound effects, background noise, music, or a speaker who does not speak clearly and enunciate every syllable.

Well the question has been answered, so I'll leave this here, Because Rarity said he looks smashing

Hahaha! That's awesome, though the pockets in his skin are somewhat disturbing.

Funny that you posted the image from which he got his name!

But yeah, as it's been explained before, it was because of Youtube's closed captionning feature which sometimes (always) messes up.

• 6 months later...

"Chaotic, you have to get up at one tomorrow for your volunteer thing. Why the buck are you up at five AM? And in these super old threads?"

"Simple, Dashie plushie. Posting Ponies > Everything else. And because chicks love dug up threads."

"...That doesn't even make sense-"

"More being cute, less criticizing my irrational choices."

To be honest I'm quite glad I stumbled upon this. I had zero clue why he was called Steven Magnet, either. I had assumed he was named after some celebrity he looked or acted like...but now I know, and knowing is half the battle. Sure seems like that hilarious Youtube Transcribe is the cause for a lot of jokes, I'm noticing.

• 10 years later...

Wow, ok I had no idea his name was because Youtube CC going funny mode :muffins:

I like his name! It's nice. Fits him very well, accident or not.

I had to look up a little further, his name was "Sea Serpent" from what I can tell. And then, Hasbro went official with "Steven Magnet" at the 2013 American International Toy Fair(?)

Spoiler

See that on the right? :lookup:

My-Little-Pony-Toy-Fair-2013-037_1360451

At least it had a happier story compared to other fan-named characters, this one seemed to not involve much, if any, controversy.

• Brohoof 1

YouTube captions strike again. :nom:

I always loved this, because of how out there his name is. In a world full of characters with names such as "Rainbow Dash" or "Twilight Sparkle," "Steven Magnet" just sticks out like a sore thumb. :laugh:

• Brohoof 1