Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Rarity a millionaire? Three boutiques.

TheMarkz0ne

to be a millionaire, you need to to have solid income AND a tight reign on your pocketbook.  

She seems to have income, but she also seems like the sort of pony who could just spend and spend and spend.  

Probably not a "millionaire" per se, but she's easily the wealthiest of the mane six.  

Twilight has an entre castle in her assets column, and no liabilities.

I'm not prepared to just give that one to rarity.

Edited by weesh

I am going to assume that she has been saving up for a good while. Assuming that opening a boutique in Canterlot was always her original dream, she has most likely been saving up the bits to do so for years. Since she is unrivaled in Ponyville with her original shop, she was most likely able to make some decent money, which probably allowed her to save up for a while, at least for the Canterlot boutique. After that, the money most likely came rolling in. 

It's possible that she may have a problem.

And also the ability to have Spike mine rare gems for free and transport them back to her home, where she can sew them into gem-coated outfits and sell them to rich idiots.

All that money at little to no cost would likely add up very quickly.

After that, the money most likely came rolling in. 

leaving the question, "is the money also rolling out, or is she a good steward of her income?" relevant.

plenty of athletes, and lottery winners manage to outspend their windfalls.

the manehattan branch could be a massive reinvestment as well, wiping out her gains from the other two stores.  

Maybe she doesn't lose much or gain much and just likes to spread the love of her fashion that does seem like what Rarity would do. She might gain enough to manage all stores while still having left enough to live the way she does. I'm pretty sure in uptown places like Manehattan and Canterlot she would get more income than in a more rustic town like Ponyville. It's also believable that she has sponsors like Sapphire Shores who has requested her outfits.

• Brohoof 1

Probably not a "millionaire" per se, but she's easily the wealthiest of the mane six.  

Not necessarily, Twi is from a family of Canterlot ponies, so it's possible that they, and by extend Twilight, could be the wealthiest Mane6, and now that she's a princess, she's probably the most wealthy now if she wasn't before :huh: . This is just speculating, not fact 

• Brohoof 2

Not necessarily, Twi is from a family of Canterlot ponies, so it's possible that they, and by extend Twilight, could be the wealthiest Mane6, and now that she's a princess, she's probably the most wealthy now if she wasn't before :huh: . This is just speculating, not fact 

Eh, I'm far more impressed by Rarity and her ability to build herself from the ground up, pouring blood, sweat, and tears into her work. 

Twilight had far too much handed to her on a silver platter. 

• Brohoof 1

You have to remember.  Most ponies don't wear clothes most of the time.  For them, clothes are a luxury item like jewelry for us.  She designs for Saphire Shores, several Gala dresses, the wedding gowns for Cadence's wedding (2 sets).  She probably isn't THE Fashionista, but is plausibly regarded as one of the rising stars of the fashion world.

As others have pointed out, she has her gem hunting skills.  +Season 4 Milli Filli she is lead singer & manager of The Ponytones & they seem a fairly popular band

I'd say either her or Filthy Rich is the richest pony in Ponyville, with Princess Twilight as an unknown quantity.  In the broader scene, I'd say she is definitely in the top 10% in Equestria, plausibly in the top 1%, but probably not yet in the top 0.1%.  That is, Rich but not Super Rich

"Commodore" Vanderbilt (19th century industrialist, owned a shipping line (& lots of other stuff)) once said "America is a wonderful country.  A millionaire can live as well as if they are rich." 

She might not quite be a millionaire, yet, but she has had some very high-profile clients (Sapphire Shores) and a recent runaway success with one particular design, so she's probably comfortable enough to be able to handle the three locations at present.

While I've always thought Rarity was likely to become the wealthiest of the Mane 6, at the moment her money is still being sunk primarily into her business. The wealthiest at present, at least on paper, is probably Applejack, as she would own a one-third stake in Sweet Apple Acres.

• Brohoof 1

It's safe to assume Rarity is very successful considering her high-profile clients and Manehattan is most definitely not easy to get into if it's anything like its real-life counterpart.

The specifics aren't really what matters on this show, only enough to know that Rarity is independently wealthy as a result of a successful business and is reaping the rewards alongside the responsibilities. She has the experience from "Canterlot Boutique" that would make setting up her Manehattan shop easier.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight has an entre castle in her assets column, and no liabilities.

Also no recognisable income stream (that we know of).  Unless her title came with a hefty purse then it's entirely possible that she is asset rich but cash poor.  I don't exactly see a huge staff attending her every whim in that castle.

I would say that either Rarity or Applejack have the highest income.  Having three boutiques doesn't necessarily make Rarity rich, she may be stretched to the very limit of her means.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

Also no recognisable income stream (that we know of).  Unless her title came with a hefty purse then it's entirely possible that she is asset rich but cash poor.  I don't exactly see a huge staff attending her every whim in that castle.

I would say that either Rarity or Applejack have the highest income.  Having three boutiques doesn't necessarily make Rarity rich, she may be stretched to the very limit of her means.

Well she did say she was getting another boutique because her satellite store in Canterlot was doing so well. I would assume that means she's made enough money between the two stores to warrant the investment of a third shop. 

Also, Rarity is not one to poker face through trying times. If her stores were being stretched to their limit you'd see a half dozen cartons of ice cream strewn about her drama couch within the episode. 

Well she did say she was getting another boutique because her satellite store in Canterlot was doing so well. I would assume that means she's made enough money between the two stores to warrant the investment of a third shop. 

Also, Rarity is not one to poker face through trying times. If her stores were being stretched to their limit you'd see a half dozen cartons of ice cream strewn about her drama couch within the episode. 

That's a fair assessment, but just to clarify, I didn't mean stretched to breaking point, more like stretched to capacity.  Her third shop will certainly increase her income, but will also increase her overheads, and given the one-off investment required to open another shop she may pretty much depleted her capital, although clearly not to the point of causing her problems as you mentioned above.

I know a few people who run one or more shops, and none of them are even close to being millionaires.  In addition, we haven't seen any real change in Rarity's situation that would suggest to me that she is significantly better off now than she was in episode one.  And given who Rarity is, I find it hard it believe that she has it but isn't splashing it about.

Maybe her initial boutiques have also been major successes. Actually, the episodes even featuring Rarity dealing with her business do state that she's been making money.

Hm, I wonder how money she has as a result then. Being a millionaire doesn't seem far-fetched, or maybe she's a hundred-thousand-aire.

The wealthiest at present, at least on paper, is probably Applejack, as she would own a one-third stake in Sweet Apple Acres.

Unfortunately, it's implied that Sweet Apple Acres isn't too financially well off, to the point where one bad season could end up bankrupting the Apples.

Personally, I hate this implication, but it's there...  :huh:

I don't know whether or not I would consider Rarity a millionaire, but because of how she now manages 3 boutiques and uses gems in her designs, uses a gem finding spell (so if she wants Rarity could just flat out sell gems instead of putting them in dresses), and is in high society, I would have to say that she is pretty well off by now.

Rarity must be one heck of a business woman and great at managing her money seeing how quickly she got her third boutique.

More like a thousanaire. Her business is expanding and is successful, but expenses and the cost of living can really catch up with you. Not to mention her frittering away who knows how much on extravagant items...

Edited by Jangobadass