Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts

ggg-2

I've been thinking about Newbie Dash, and this question needs to be asked: How and why is Rainbow Dash becoming a Wonderbolt now? The Reserves were a great compromise. Could one of the Wonderbolts be retiring? (If so, hooves crossed that it's Fleetfoot. I really don't like Fleetfoot.)

Edited by Nervous Stitch
Title changed to avoid spoilers. Changed wording to stand alone without title.

Better question is: Why hasn't she been a Wonderbolt since season 4 or something? She's more worthy than nearly anyone on the team, heck she's too good for them really. She's fast, good with tricks, seems to work fine in a team, and has more integrity than all of them combined.

Honestly, they should just skip the newbie thing and make her captain at this point.

• Brohoof 1

She's more worthy than nearly anyone on the team, heck she's too good for them really. She's fast, good with tricks, seems to work fine in a team, and has more integrity than all of them combined.

That's exactly why we (I) don't want her to become a Wonderbolt. Besides the fact that being in Wonderbolts is a job like being in military and (if writers wanted to be realistic, which they don't aim to) she wouldn't have time for her friends, it's exactly it what you pointed out. She's too good for them.

Even if she wasn't superior to them in flying, which she is, (why don't they want to recruit the only pony on the planet who is able to break the barrier of sound?) she still is superior to them in terms of personality traits. Obviously she, as a member of the main cast, is really developed in this case, but it's not the point. Since some point in the show, I think it was S4, Wonderbolts are presented as a bunch of jerks. Rarity Investigates, where is the "innocent until proven guilty"? Instead, there is the "guilty until proven innocent" wtf (ping). Rainbow Falls, are you really trying to replace your friend with someone superior by using manipulation, even though you're still the sole professional group amongst groups of ammateurs (ping)? Wonderbolts Academy, why do you keep justifing actions of someone who gets others in danger, until RD shows you that you are stupid (ping)?

RD should tell'em that she doesn't want to belong to a group of churls.

Edited by TBlaze
  • Brohoof 3

What I'm asking is why would she want too? At this point the wonderbolts have been proven to be underhanded, easily deceived, backstabbing, and useless in anything except showing off. Dash should just figure out how to be Daring Do's partner or something, Daring seems like a much more worthwhile pony to follow than the Wonderbolts 

Why is she actually fulfilling the dream she's had since literally episode one?

Is that really what you're asking...? 

Thank you Cleverclover. You said exactly what I was thinking. Now I don't have to take the time and post...

Oh, wait...

What I'm asking is why would she want too? At this point the wonderbolts have been proven to be underhanded, easily deceived, backstabbing, and useless in anything except showing off. Dash should just figure out how to be Daring Do's partner or something, Daring seems like a much more worthwhile pony to follow than the Wonderbolts

Why would any American want to become a cop right now? Right now, the police are seen as deceitful abusers of power.. but that's the not the case with every single officer. With the job of a policeman comes a sense of honor and pride despite some of the negative connotations a cop may have. The police are functionally supposed to protect us.

Likewise, sure the Wonderbolts may have a somewhat bad rep, but that doesn't speak for all Bolts. And with the Wonderbolts title, as we've seen, carries its own sense of honor. The Wonderbolts are meant to help (even if they do kinda stink at it.. case in point Secret of my Excess), and I believe that's the type of Wonderbolt Dash is going for.

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised people think this is no big deal. Apparently you guys have no idea what military life is like.

What does the military have anything to do with the Wonderbolts? In comparison, the Wonderbolts are equal to that of the Real life Blue Angels, which are highly trained stunt performers and in no way part of the military. They do shows for people.

• Brohoof 1

Because it is her major character arch that she has had sense episode 1.

I would like to see some actual payoff for it sometime soon instead of seeing Rainbow Dash be treated like Ash Ketchum from the pokemon anime.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

What does the military have anything to do with the Wonderbolts? In comparison, the Wonderbolts are equal to that of the Real life Blue Angels, which are highly trained stunt performers and in no way part of the military. They do shows for people.

The Blue Angels are part of the Navy

• Brohoof 1

It's only natural from a narrative standpoint that Rainbow Dash would eventually join the Wonderbolts, it has been, after all, her aspiration since the very first episode of the cartoon.

There is no reason why this would have any impact on her continuing adventures with the mane 6, Applejack for example is a farmer, and Rarity runs her own business, both of which can be every bit as time consuming as being in the military, if not more so.  And I use the term military loosely, as the Wonderbolts appear to be more of a dedicated display team than an actual military in the truest sense.

I doubt her achieving her goal will affect the dynamic of the cartoon in any significant way.

Not utilizing the character arc, that she had since day one, would be a punch in the face for me.

It dosen't really matter if some wonderbolts are sometimes seen as jerks, but i know that alot of Wrestling fans know that the wrestling business is a place full of jerks, backstabbers and sick people. But that didn't stop them from fulfilling their dreams.

Rainbow Dash probably has the same mindset. She has an obvious will to succeed and no matter how tough this is sometimes, this is what she wants in her life..

Also, if i was a friend of Rainbow Dash, i would be behind her and not stop her, because i understand that it's her dream.

• Brohoof 2

Well She problaby going to see tha the wonderbolts are not all they are cut out to be.

Spitfire in Wonderbolt Academy
Shady tatics in Rainbow Falls
miss contuct in other occasions(aka making Dash guilty on the spot cause of non existent evidence. even a profession deteive would have seen rainbow mane had been cut -_- )

I'm calling i. she gives up her dream to just live in ponyville. Kind of obvious she wouldn't just never be seen again.

Why would any American want to become a cop right now? Right now, the police are seen as deceitful abusers of power.. but that's the not the case with every single officer. With the job of a policeman comes a sense of honor and pride despite some of the negative connotations a cop may have. The police are functionally supposed to protect us.

Likewise, sure the Wonderbolts may have a somewhat bad rep, but that doesn't speak for all Bolts. And with the Wonderbolts title, as we've seen, carries its own sense of honor. The Wonderbolts are meant to help (even if they do kinda stink at it.. case in point Secret of my Excess), and I believe that's the type of Wonderbolt Dash is going for.

This is certainly a good line of reasoning. HOWEVER if this next episode doesn't show them in a better light, its just going to make it that much harder for me to buy why Rainbow wants to be part of them. At this point she has done more to save Equestria than their current roster of members put together and has a higher level of influence as she rubs shoulders with literal Princesses. If anything she should be the Wonderbolts boss, not their recruit. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

HOWEVER if this next episode doesn't show them in a better light, its just going to make it that much harder for me to buy why Rainbow wants to be part of them.

Just maybe, having peeked behind the curtain, she will now aspire to set an example for the Wonderbolts, and try to change them from within, from what they are, into what she always thought they were, and could yet be.

• Brohoof 1

This is certainly a good line of reasoning. HOWEVER if this next episode doesn't show them in a better light, its just going to make it that much harder for me to buy why Rainbow wants to be part of them. At this point she has done more to save Equestria than their current roster of members put together and has a higher level of influence as she rubs shoulders with literal Princesses. If anything she should be the Wonderbolts boss, not their recruit.

Oh I totally agree. I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt currently because I can see the good side to the team. Plus, I think Rainbow will have a positive influence on the team from within.

I'm just hoping the teasing doesn't come from Spitfire or Soarin' or anything like that. But, they've been on pretty good terms with Dash and although they've had their issues I can't see them antagonizing her. I think it will probably be a member we haven't met before. I actually feel like the Wonderbolts (that we know) may stick up for her after finding out.. unless they also play along.

Actually, I don't think we've had a lesson regarding making offensive jokes at the expense of others. That while someone may laugh a joke off, it may actually dig at them on the inside. If they're going to go the Wonderbolts being a part of it route, this is the lesson I hope they go for.

Actually, I don't think we've had a lesson regarding making offensive jokes at the expense of others. That while someone may laugh a joke off, it may actually dig at them on the inside. If they're going to go the Wonderbolts being a part of it route, this is the lesson I hope they go for

I had to look up the synopsis for this one to get this. Are they REALLY going with the "embarrassing nickname" thing? Didn't we get enough of that with "Rainbow Crash", which wore out its welcome the second it was uttered way back in season 1? I swear to Celestia if half the dialogue is "Rainbow Crash" I'm torching this episode. 

Just maybe, having peeked behind the curtain, she will now aspire to set an example for the Wonderbolts, and try to change them from within, from what they are, into what she always thought they were, and could yet be.

One can only hope. I still think her efforts would serve better with Daring Do though. 

Oh I totally agree. I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt currently because I can see the good side to the team. Plus, I think Rainbow will have a positive influence on the team from within.

I'm just hoping the teasing doesn't come from Spitfire or Soarin' or anything like that. But, they've been on pretty good terms with Dash and although they've had their issues I can't see them antagonizing her. I think it will probably be a member we haven't met before. I actually feel like the Wonderbolts (that we know) may stick up for her after finding out.. unless they also play along.

Actually, I don't think we've had a lesson regarding making offensive jokes at the expense of others. That while someone may laugh a joke off, it may actually dig at them on the inside. If they're going to go the Wonderbolts being a part of it route, this is the lesson I hope they go for.

Actually, i've heard that embarrassing nicknames are par for the course in the air force. It usually comes from a dumb mistake a person makes. It isn't meant to be malicious, it's actually supposed to be taken as a reminder not to repeat the mistake that earned you the nickname.

We don't how long the process of getting in the Wonderbolts takes. From the looks of it, it takes a long time.

Seems that it takes about three seasons give or take.  Not sure what that equates to in real time, about a year maybe? Or a year and a half? Given than in five complete seasons, we've seen two Hearthswarming Eves, two Winter Wrap Ups, and two Nightmare Nights.

Edited by Concerned Bystander

Seems that it takes about three seasons give or take.  Not sure what that equates to in real time, about a year maybe? Or a year and a half?

Time can be a weird concept in Equestria. Heck, look at every character measures time in moons and try to decipher that. I do have the headcannon of season 1-3 being a year (seeing as the Summer Sun Celebration was celebrated in the season 4 premiere), but that's it. 

I'm gonna say it again

I do believe Rainbow Dash Should become a Wonderbolt

1) Because I love the Wonderbolts and She's set her life goal to fly with them

2) Rainbow Dash is the type of pony that can encourage another pony to show the best of their talents

She has made an inspiration to others and would definitely expand if she did become a Wonderbolt