health brushing your teeth in the morning pointless?

power strike

So i know brushing your teeth is important day and night for every day but what about mornings ? if you brush your teeth at night and not have anything after and just go to sleep then whats the point in brushing your teeth in the morning ? why not just mouthwash in the morning since you already brushed them at night?

if u guys want to know yes i do brush my teeth everyday XD lol.

Teeth brushing is not just about removing food remnants. It's also to prevent excessive acid build up caused by bacteria. Saliva naturally helps to prevent this, but saliva production is less at night, and so brushing in the morning gives a clean start to each day.

• Brohoof 6

Teeth brushing is not just about removing food remnants. It's also to prevent excessive acid build up caused by bacteria. Saliva naturally helps to prevent this, but saliva production is less at night, and so brushing in the morning gives a clean start to each day.

This right here. Bacteria is constantly churning around in your mouth -- hence why you get bad breath in the morning and after meals. Being asleep for 7-9 hours is a fairly long time, so cleaning your teeth once you wake up is a good idea.

Plus, it helps you get into the habit of brushing your teeth more than once a day. Better to invest 1-2 minutes each morning cleaning your mouth than an hour in a dentist's office having your mouth probed for excessive plaque and cavities.

(Granted, I spend a bit more time because I need to clean my retainers, too. Those suckers are worth the trouble, though.)

• Brohoof 2

I brush my teeth in the morning only after I had breakfast.Then brush my teeth after lunch and then after dinner.

In addition, the bacteria in the mouth constantly proliferate. Even if you do not eat.

Edited by Trixio

I brush before sleep, and after eating breakfast. Unless I'm skipping breakfast, then I'm brushing anyway. Teeth are a precious commodity, don't have them damaged if you can prevent that.

I brush before breakfast, so I don't get a bunch of bacteria & morning breath with my food. 

Brushing after is a bad idea, as it damages your teeth since eating removes the protective coating and will have the brush do direct damage to the teeth. 

As someone who likes to stay clean and sanitary, I spend a good amount of time after each meal to brush me teeth thoroughly.

Ever sense the very first time I got braces, I decided to take good care of my dental hygiene.

Thankfully these habits that I have had for quite a while have really payed off.

I like to eat breakfast in the morning, and I find that I don't usually have time between eating breakfast and going out the door to brush my teeth. 

Eh most of my life I didn't have toothpaste because my family is broke, so I never really got into the habit of brushing teeth because it was kinda pointless all around.  Now, while I can see the potential benefits of brushing in the morning, I also know that brushing too often can deteriorate your teeth.  So I just do my best to brush twice a day at some point after having eaten.

Of course I hate the flavor of mint in general so it kinda needs to be at a time when I'm not gonna eat any time soon and therefore first thing in the morning is just a no-go for me.

What about after breakfast? I brush mine after breakfast because it makes the most sense to me.

Exactly. Also if you eat first and don't waste time brushing ahead of time, you have more time after breakfast to brush before heading out the door, and you don't have to mix the taste of milk and cereal with minty-fresh toothpaste (not a good blend). 

Technically you can go for weeks without brushing before your teeth really start to decay, so it may seem superfluous to brush so many times daily. But personal hygiene is never a bad idea; it promotes good habits, freshens breath and strengthens teeth, whether you literally need it or not. 

I've brushed twice a day my whole life and so far I've never had a cavity (knock on wood) so I must be doing something right.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

So i know brushing your teeth is important day and night for every day but what about mornings ? if you brush your teeth at night and not have anything after and just go to sleep then whats the point in brushing your teeth in the morning ? why not just mouthwash in the morning since you already brushed them at night?

if u guys want to know yes i do brush my teeth everyday XD lol.

People sleep about 6-10 hours and while they're sleeping they're immobilized letting all matter of particles to build up in and on their body. The perfect ideal set of teeth would get brushed after every meal and at least 3 times a day.

In terms of behavior and society, people go to work or school in the morning so to socialize they would want clean and refreshing breath and teeth right?

Edited by cider float

• 3 years later...

No it isn't stuff gets on your teeth overnight and if you don't brush your teeth in the morning that stuff sits on your teeth all day. That's the reason you get bad breath in the morning.

I have the opposite opinion. I wake up in the morning, brush my teeth and go to work/school with fresh breath. But why should I bother myself brushing teeth before going to sleep?

• Brohoof 1

I would say, talk to your dentist. If you dentist says brush your teeth in the morning, then do so.

For me, I brush for that fresh breath! :proud: (and also so my teeth won't fall out when I open my mouth)

• Brohoof 1