Do You Try To Live By The Morals Of The Show?

Midnight Oil

I try, but I've had difficulty implementing them. Love and Tolerate, for example, I tolerate most people in realspace out of necessity but I can't really say I love that many I've met here in Austin yet.

(edited)

The issues addressed by the show's morals often apply to situations that are much more complex and fluid in real life, but many of the morals in the show are highly applicable to real life, more so than many other kids' shows. I did make a blog post of the six pre-Season 5 morals I found the most applicable to real life in my experience; I do regret the glaring omissions of "Hurricane Fluttershy" (every little bit counts) and "Applebuck Season" (don't take on too much work), as well as "Bloom and Gloom" (same as "It's About Time") and a common theme between "No Second Prances" and "The Crystalling" (trusting others for whom you are responsible to make their own decisions).

On the contrary, there are a few situations in which I found it better to go against a portrayed moral in an MLP episode. I betrayed a friend's confidentiality once, as "Green Isn't Your Color" said not to, because I couldn't bear to see my friend go through the terrible feelings he was going through and not be open about it. I couldn't stand the moral of the Twilight/Pinkie subplot in "Trade Ya" because it felt like forced tension to build up to Tirek's destruction of the library in the Season 4 finale. The books would have had objectively more value if Twilight had given them away as they would be sharing knowledge as opposed to sitting idle as some sort of memorabilia.

The show's lessons are valuable and applicable in many situations, but it shouldn't be the only way you live your life. You have to have an open mind to all sorts of ideas from different sources and experiences. Like Twilight and Starlight in "No Second Prances", you have to make the right choices and think for yourself, not let anyone else take the reins for you.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

The Morals are good, but...im just not in any Situation were i need them.

I barely talk.

The only thing i do is, to respect others Opinions...yeah. Thats all i do.

well...nope. not at all. see, I watch mlp for the humor and the characters. I want to see how they grow and change, but this is still a show for kids, and the morals are just as basic as they need to be. most times, they don't apply to real-life situations. life in Equestria is pretty simple, and so are the morals. "As long as you do good things, good things will happen to you in return". but life isn't a cartoon (thankfully. I couldn't stand being nice all the time). call me a cynical dude or a wannabe-smartass-teenager (or both of it), but life just isn't as simple as it is shown in mlp. you have to lie in order to keep some of your friends or get what you want. Discord once said "Sometimes a lie is easier to take", and...yeah, that's right. think about it: you surely know someone at work or some family-member that you can't stand, but would you tell them what you really think about them? of course you don't. you keep lying and pretend to be interested in their lifes, either to avoid trouble, or to get something in return from them.

Wait...I just used a moral from mlp to make my point...ARGH curse you Discord!

Kind of. Do you mean the lessons at the end of episodes? I don't remember anything but ''Don't judge a book by its cover'' and ''Don't knock it till you try it'', and I do live by them, but I just watch the show because I like it, I don't rely on it for being a decent human being.

• Brohoof 1

Well... I am a person who finds all social interaction to be very difficult and confusing.  So I try to take a lot of the morals and apply them to life, but reality isn't as simple as in Equestria and sadly, you can't be friends with everyone.  Sometimes, no matter how good you are to someone, and no matter how much you try to befriend them, they will still dislike you. >_>

Even so, I try.  I do my best to give people second chances and be kind and forgiving, but... people make it hard to do these things.  Loyalty and honesty come to me naturally, though my honestly is often blunt and people don't like that...

Well, anyway, before I start rambling, point is, I do try with some of them.

There hasn't been any lesson or moral taught in the show that I haven't already learned through real life experinces. That's not to say that I don't try to apply these lessons to my life, however. 

I have been working on improving myself in different ways that have also been seen in FiM.

• Brohoof 2

I live my life by my own morals. Most of the time, the show's moral align with mine fine. Sometimes, though, they really botch their morals up.

• Brohoof 1

I valued friendship more than before, so in a sense, yes. 

I'm more open to new friends, and try to maintain the friendship.

If by following the morals of the show you mean following a sense of morality in general, which is what it is, than yes. Everyone knows what is socially acceptable and how to act with others. It's a universal unspoken law of civilization. We don't always follow it but we're at least aware of it. It's also why MLP and most other shows these days don't really have to spell out the moral and dumb it down to the audience. We all get it.

It's nice to have a motto like Love and Tolerate because it gives us a catchy reminder in case we forget ourselves. I'm always surprised at how often it pops into my own head. So a mental bumper sticker is good. The rest is basic humanity 101.  

• Brohoof 2

Sort of.  The fact is, given my age I have already learned long before FiM was a thing that you should generally try not to be a dick to people.  I was raised well by my parents and have never felt the need to lash out at people or get myself into (serious) trouble.

So on the whole, yes, but I was living that way anyway, so the cartoon hasn't exactly influenced me in that regard.

I try...Since there are some good morals on the show.

And as a person who used to put others before me...As in, degrade myself for others which is a bad idea and I don't recommend it. Twilight telling Rainbow Dash that she put Daring Doo on such a high pedestal that she forgot who cool her own self was, really got to me.

Not to mention, it's not the size of your strength, but your can-do attitude.

The reason I got into the show was because it emphasized the morals of my life I try to live by. So yes I try to live by the morals in the show but it was not because of the show I was living by them. The show simply empowered me to live by them even more.

They're morals that a great for everyone.

I think it made me reconsider my more dour and solipsistic turns as phases and not who I was deep down. Friends really are a blessing sometimes. I would say the moral I take away from the show is that one should try to be a good person and that healthy social relationships are a possibility (someday).

I sort of do. I take friendship pretty seriously, because a true friend means a lot to me

Though it's not easy for me to make friends, I have always been acknowledged by coaches, teachers, and other people 

on how great of a person I am