Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think you could bond with Bible believing Bronies?

ManaMinori

If you found someone who liked My Little Pony, but was a Bible believer, would you befriend them?

Do you think you would be accepting if they wanted to bond over both, and excitedly wanted to bring scriptures from the Bible that they saw related to pony characters, to your attention?

• Brohoof 1

Weird reading this as a recently ex-Christian.

But yeah, people would do that.

would your (general "you") religion even matter, though? You'd still be bondinv over ponies. Or would you shut the person out on the spot, if they wanted to share a scripture that reminded them of Pinkie Pie, all because omg, bible, red alert!!!

would your (general "you") religion even matter, though? You'd still be bondinv over ponies. Or would you shut the person out on the spot, if they wanted to share a scripture that reminded them of Pinkie Pie, all because omg, bible, red alert!!!

You're assuming that lack of desired involvement equals extreme rejection.

If you found someone who liked My Little Pony, but was a Bible believer, would you befriend them?

Yes, I don't really base my circle of friends on religion.

Do you think you would be accepting if they wanted to bond over both, and excitedly wanted to bring scriptures from the Bible that they saw related to pony characters, to your attention?

If I have to be honest, I would say no. Personally I'm not a fan of having people shoveling their beliefs down my throat.

Why not? I mean I don't care who/what you are if we share some same interests then cool, we can talk about them.

Um..To put it bluntly, no, sorry. I don't want MLP (or any of my other interests for that matter) being involved with Religion. Like, if you're religious and all that, that's fine with me...but don't shove it down my throat.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, I don't really base my circle of friends on religion. If I have to be honest, I would say no. Personally I'm not a fan of having people shoveling their beliefs down my throat.

fair enough. No one likes stuff forced on them. I get that.

So what, then, do you make of the Christian references in MLP? (Switching Sunbutt's name in place of God's, references of the Abyss/Tartarus...)

Why not? I mean I don't care who/what you are if we share some same interests then cool, we can talk about them.

Um..To put it bluntly, no, sorry. I don't want MLP (or any of my other interests for that matter) being involved with Religion. Like, if you're religious and all that, that's fine with me...but don't shove it down my throat.

so it wouldn't interest you at all, being offerred what could be a new perspective on pony, from the bible guy's perspective? I get that you wouldn't want religion shoved down your throat, but if the guy sees paralells between pony and the Bible, that, to me, seems like you'd be shutting out not only thir perspective and appreciation, but not really bonding with that person over pony, if they wouldn't be able to share their thoughts in that way

So what, then, do you make of the Christian references in MLP? (Switching Sunbutt's name in place of God's, references of the Abyss/Tartarus...

Well, it's not really Christian references. The whole name switching thing could be a reference to all religions really. And if anything Tartarus is a reference to Greek mythology.

Also I'm okay with those "Christian" references because they aren't shovelled down my throat.

• Brohoof 2

As a Christian Brony, I say tread lightly.:) I fail to see how being a Christian reflects at all on my status as a Brony. When I'm in Brony circles it doesn't really come up since I'm talking about ponies. On the flip side, I don't really bring it up much at church circles. Like, my friends know I'm a Brony, but that's about it. At church I'm usually caught up in church related stuff anyways. They're two different spheres of my life, and while I personally believe everyone should try giving their life to God and see what happens, I've never been one to force my beliefs on anyone. I guess evangelism was never my strongsuit...

• Brohoof 6

If I have to be honest, I would say no. Personally I'm not a fan of having people shoveling their beliefs down my throat.

This.

I would be okay with them being Christian, that's fine and good, some of my close friends are, but I wouldn't be okay with them having to talk to me about religion regularly and wanting me to listen to it when I've made it very clear that I don't believe in that stuff. Because then at that point, their religion isn't really "irrelevant" anymore, they are shoving it in my face when I don't want it.

So what, then, do you make of the Christian references in MLP? (Switching Sunbutt's name in place of God's, references of the Abyss/Tartarus...)

I think they aren't inherently "Christian" references, they are just taking common terms of speech and ponifying them. Many people say "Oh my God" that don't believe in God, etc. I wouldn't say they are made to inherently be Christian references. 

so it wouldn't interest you at all, being offerred what could be a new perspective on pony, from the bible guy's perspective? I get that you wouldn't want religion shoved down your throat, but if the guy sees paralells between pony and the Bible, that, to me, seems like you'd be shutting out not only thir perspective and appreciation, but not really bonding with that person over pony, if they wouldn't be able to share their thoughts in that way

To be blunt?

This kind of thinking is just people stretching the bible to relate to everything even when it doesn't. It's digging for meaning that isn't there. Realistically in my opinion, the bible is fiction. So finding "meaning" there is just relating two unrelated works through nothing but your mind alone. That's my opinion though. It would be the same as saying MLP and like... Duke Nukem have some kind of connection where it's pretty clear they don't.

First and foremost - RESPECT

You both have to be respectful to the other person. If we are strictly talking about a non religious person being friends with a religious person and sharing a bond over ponies then the biggest thing you have to do is respect the boundaries that you both have. It is one thing to say "Man, Pinkie Pie really reminds me of a story in Luke chapter 4."

You have to remember, being able to communicate your feelings on the subject matter is more important than having two different religious views. If your non religious friend is uncomfortable with the fact that you want to recite scripture after every pony related topic, then you need to respect them enough to cool it and maybe talk about it in a different way.

I'm Christian, and I am a pegasister, I won't deny either of those facts, but I will not shove either one of them down other people's throats. If they want to talk about it with me, cool, let's talk. If not, I am not going to view you any different. We are friends either way. Same thing should hopefully go for those who are of different religion or no religion at all.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I'd be okay with that. I don't mind people making references to their religion with MLP. I mean, everyone see the show through their own eyes, why coudn't they ?

Though, the way you are asking this is a little.. forced. I know people don't do manipulation on purpose, but you are shutting down any opinion that's against yours here, while asking people if they are ready to accept others' point of view. ->

Or would you shut the person out on the spot, if they wanted to share a scripture that reminded them of Pinkie Pie, all because omg, bible, red alert!!

Do you like apples ? Or are you one of those horrible persons that would reject such a GOOD and NUTRITIOUS fruit which is SO important yo yourself and the poor POOR people selling it, begging for someone to buy their delicious fruits in order to survive ?

Edited by ConcorDisparate
  • Brohoof 1

I don't see why I wouldn't as long as they aren't preachy about it. I tend to leave people's religious views out of the equation because hey, as long as I can form a friendship and they aren't trying to convert me or something, then I don't see what's the big deal.

I'd be friends with em if they were an alright person, but if they started telling me random bible stuff to do with mlp id probably just tell em not to with me, otherwise, just jump out the window and leave. 

A person's religion generally isn't a factor in my decision to be their friend or not.

However, It depends on how "bible believing" they are. I wouldn't want to be around them if they try to evangelize to me.

(I'm an atheist, by the way.)

• Brohoof 2

You know what would be a more interesting question? If the believers would like to befriend me, eventhough i have a fascination with snakes and that my chinese zodiac is also the snake.

As far as i know, the snake is closely linked to the devil and the snake is the reason, that Adam and Eve where thrown out of the Garden of Eden.

I for one wouldn't care, aslong as they don't shove it down my throat. I will still sit here, eat my apple and invite others for a piece.

post-31596-0-31382400-1464828452_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 5

Considering the guy who got me into My Little Pony is a self confessed Christian and I would like to one day meet him, shake his hand, thank him for introducing me to this amazing community and show and hopefully hang out with him for a bit then I would have to say yes I do believe I could Bond with Bible Believing Brony :)

two_sides_of_firebrand_by_xxceruleansket

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I couldn't bond with any religious person.  I can and do have civil discussions on here with religious folks, certainly.  But irl, I couldn't imagine getting along well with the religious sort.  I guess it would depend on what sort of beliefs we're talking about.  My issue is that I simply can't respect certain beliefs.  A belief in god and/or spirituality is fine, but belief in any holy book as the literal and perfect word of the creator of the universe is not, nor is creationism or the Great Flood or things like that.  Claiming to know things one cannot know, or making disproved claims about history or the universe is a problem.  No one is under any obligation to respect beliefs of this sort.  Our only obligation is to treat others respectfully.  However, if someone announces that she/he believes that the Holocaust never happened, or that the Earth is flat, or that Elvis is still alive, that person will immediately pay a price for that belief, and rightfully so.  No rational person would respect any of those beliefs, as well they shouldn't.  The same is true of claiming that evolution is false, or that the Earth is ~5000 years old.  And yet, this one area of our discourse has been allowed to play by completely different rules from the rest.  If someone can't, or refuses, to see this, then the best I can do is respect them as a human being.  I cannot respect their beliefs enough to be friends with them.

• Brohoof 1

And thus our Lady sent her only daughter down from on high to the masses below to learn of the lessons of friendship and guide her flock into the golden age with the aide of her five disciples.

All joking aside, I have no problems with those of faith as long as they respect my choices and try to now browbeat me with their beliefs.

It definitely depends on the person. They would have to be okay with me being a nonbeliever and LGBT, which alone would probably be enough to drive the zealots away, haha. But if they're not the overly-zealous type, if they're open-minded and respectful, then of course we can form a bond. It's pretty simple: all we would have to do is focus on what we have in common instead of harping on differences. We could keep religious talk to a minimum and instead talk about ponies or other shared interests.