Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think you could bond with Bible believing Bronies?

ManaMinori

(edited)

I would not really care if they were bible loving, as long as they do not try to shove it down my throat.

*Edit:

Like most people here are saying.

Edited by Babyyoshi309

Honestly I don't appreciate how this topic specifically targets Christians like there's something inherently wrong with them that might potentially hinder one's friendship. But yes, I'm fine with them and plenty of my brony friends are Christians, though saying they're just Christian would be a pretty broad statement since a few believe in different sects or have different religious ideas. They aren't preachers; most of them don't even read the Bible interestingly enough.

And I'm Buddhist-Taoist, so religion is not going to strain us. :P

(edited)
Okay everypony! You getting Christians all wrong. Just because we may throw a Scripture or two at someone doesn't mean we are shoving it down their throats. In fact, that's the opposite of what we do. Normally, Christians will not say much about their religion, but when they do ( If they are a true Christian) they do it in the best, loving manner they can.

From my experience, the more literal they take Scripture, the more fire and brimstone they tend to become. I've seen it and experienced it plenty of times in my own life. I've had people view me as a lost little lamb who doesn't know any better to a evil degenerate satan worshiper for simply being an atheist. In both cases they try to coerse me into their line of thinking on either thinly veiled threats of damnation to out right condemnation to a lake of fire for taking scientific fact over scripture. Its rather tiring. 

When they are telling others about Christ or sharing a few Scriptures, it is only because they are trying to save another soul and prevent them from having to enter the fiery gates of Hell.

That's what I'm talking about. You are automatically coming from a position that you somehow know better than me because you believe in this book that's been translated countless times over before you even opened it up to page one. How am I supposed to be friends with someone who is literally condemning me to hell for not believing what they believe? Sure they want to "help me see the light" and they "care about my immortal soul" or whatever phrase you want to use, but it all boils down to "you are wrong regardless of what science tells you, I am right because the bible told me so, believe and act the way I do or burn in hell." 

I have no problem with the theory that there might be some kind of higher power, but there is extremely little chance that whatever that may be is the judeo christian god. That's not me talking, that's Science disproving sections of the bible that were supposed to be taken as literal. 

Heck, some people tease me for being a musician and also a Christian. This was because Lucifer aka Satan aka the Devil used to be an angel of music. His music could control the feelings of the other angels and he eventually began to believe he could overrun God and eventually got cast into Hell as Satan. I told them about how we Christians take a humorous side on this. We use music as a tool to worship God at the same time making Satan hate us all! But the true question isn't would bronies accept Christians. It is would bronies be willing to accept that Christians are just trying to help.

I'll accept someone who can think and talk rationally about the facts, and speculate on an existence of a higher power that is not of the literal interpretation of the Bible or other variants. There are so many discoveries in science you'd have to overlook just to believe in that kind of god it makes it very difficult for me to take such a book at face value as anything more than an antiquated and outdated tome that needs to be phased out of our society. Telling me how you are ticking a fallen angel off by playing an instrument isn't going to help your case with me I'm afraid. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

I myself am a Christian, and I fail to see how that relates to being a fan of MLP. Religion and ponies don't exactly have anything in common...?

But in all seriousness, I don't let religion affect how I feel about people. If I were to meet a brony who was atheist, I simply wouldn't care. Their beliefs have nothing to do with me. I already have a friend who is atheist, but not a brony, and that doesn't change anything about our friendship.

• Brohoof 1

@@Steel Accord and I are always bonding over MLP, religion (or more specifically philosophy in general) and other such things so...yes. :P

We also have some vastly different ideals on both subjects sometimes so it's not like we're just being yes-men toward each other.

I would do the same for anyone here.

Also, sup Steely. Been awhile since we talked.

• Brohoof 1

I'll give anyone a chance to be my friend regardless of religion, or better yet, if they're bronies or non-bronies. If you respect me and be kind to me, I will do the same to you. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to stuff like this.

@@Steel Accord and I are always bonding over MLP, religion (or more specifically philosophy in general) and other such things so...yes. :P

We also have some vastly different ideals on both subjects sometimes so it's not like we're just being yes-men toward each other.

Feel free to send a PM if you want to chat at all.

I'm an atheist. I have had (and still do have) very good, close friends who are devout Christians. In our case, we had things we could bond on other than religion. Sure, we had some in-depth discussions about it, but it wasn't the main thing that brought us together. So, as long as the same occurred with a religious brony, I don't see any problem.

This is what I was getting at earlier. I have two close friends who are religious (one Christian, one Buddhist), does that mean I tense up or have to pay extra hard attention to what I say whenever we have a conversation together? Of course not. Same goes for our interests. We respect each other enough not to let our friendship be defined solely by our views, and I value their opinions as much as I would anyone else.

So even when the topic does turn to religion, it's rarely in any way awkward. We're capable of having thought-provoking discussion on many philosophical aspects without bother, and I'm quite happy to listen to them and broaden my own outlook, as I'm sure vice versa. Knowledge comes from many places.

• Brohoof 2

I have close friends who are strong Christians, but they seem to live their life independently enough from their religion that they can have conversations without always bringing up Bible verses and God.

I'm not saying anyone should be limited in what they are able to say, absolutely not... but if you are so into your religion that you can't help but constantly bring it up, you're going to lose me. I'll discuss the Bible as a historical document in relation to mythology that came before it, but I can not see it as anything more than such, so bringing it up like it's something real is just going to make us not going to leave us with too much to talk about.

If you found someone who liked My Little Pony, but was a Bible believer, would you befriend them?

Do you think you would be accepting if they wanted to bond over both, and excitedly wanted to bring scriptures from the Bible that they saw related to pony characters, to your attention?

You're dealing with two different hypothetical scenarios here.

The first is whether or not someone would befriend a brony who happened to be a Christian.  As a Christian myself with plenty of non-Christian friends on this site, I can attest from personal experience that virtually no one here seems to have a problem with it, though it's not like that's the first thing most Christian bronies here mention about themselves to others.  Our faith may be at the center of our lives, but that doesn't mean we put it at the center of every single thing we're involved in; I may think that from a moral perspective MLP is certainly an upright show, but that doesn't mean I try to relate it to my Christian beliefs in every single solitary way.

The second scenario is of Christians who would relate the show to their beliefs.  Now there's two ways to do this; some Christians like me will on occasion maybe comment if we found a particular lesson relevant to our beliefs (for example, I've always brought up how the themes of "Feeling Pinkie Keen" can be related to religion).  The other way is for people to constantly be injecting their faith with everyone they meet in the fandom into every aspect of the show, even if it makes no sense.  That's not appropriate behavior as a fan because it's an erroneous presumption that the show has explicit Christian messages; if someone wants to personally take that away from their own viewing experience, fine, but if they constantly insisted to everyone in the fandom that it's a Christian show, that'd be annoying and incorrect.

So to answer, there's absolutely no reason any bronies couldn't befriend other bronies just because they were Christian.  It all depends on how Christian bronies express their faith in the fandom; they can even be quite vocal about their beliefs without it being annoying to others, but again, if they inject it in annoying ways, then yeah, folks probably aren't going to like that.  But there's absolutely no reason why being Christian alone should qualify if someone would or wouldn't be a friend in this fandom with another.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm agnostic but I don't mind discussing religion.  The only thing is, I probably will get bored if that's 99% of what we talk about.  As long as you don't talk about it 24/7, I don't mind.  My Mom is Catholic and likes looking for religious morals in stuff, she doesn't do it all the time but even when she does occasionally mention it, I find it interesting to hear her opinions on stuff like this.  But considering that I was raised believing in God, I guess I'm just used to it.

I don't view it as shoving it down my throat as much as her expressing her beliefs, if I can talk about my agnostic views on religion, then I don't care if you want to talk about your own thoughts as well.

TD;LR: I'm fine with you talking about your religion and what values you see in MLP, just don't talk about it all the time.

Edited by greenflare

I have a rule of thumb: if within the first 4 minutes of talking to you, you mention Jesus more than 6 times, it's just not going to work.

Bring a Christian brony myself the answer is obviously yes. However even if I wasn't, I'd still be friends with Christian bronies. Religion isn't a factor in choosing my friends and I don't think it should be.

• Brohoof 2

I dunno, I'd be a bit uncomfortable if they try to start talking about Jesus and the Bible and stuff. I'm not religious in the slightest, and I'd feel kind of bad telling them I don't want to talk about it, and even if I did, if they were to insist, I'd say that the friendship wouldn't work out.

If they respect my feelings and avoid doing so, though, then it could work out for sure.

I view religion and the belief in a possible creator as two separate things that are quite often filed together as one and the same. Religion is a man made ideology designed to control the population with rules and regulations through fear. For me the belief in a creator isn't as off putting as the disbelief in extraterrestrial life. Just look at how much life is on this one little speck of dust... The universe must be stuffed to the brim with life (mostly microbial, plants and animals). I like open minded people because there's less arguing, more acceptance and generally a more pleasant overall experience.

Yes, I have befriended people of various different beliefs and backgrounds. What matters to me is basic respect and courtesy, we don't all have to believe the same things but do have to respect the rights of others to their own beliefs.