Episode featuring Derpy's past?

HoovesOnIce

Many fans have questioned things about Derpy like; what happened to her eyes or how she became a mail-mare. But of course the show has not answered these questions most likely due to her just being a background pony.  Maybe there should be an episode that goes into Derpy's past so the viewers can know more about her and also have a great episode to watch. It could be about her struggles of never being trusted to do things right or maybe how she got her job.  Derpy is of course a fan favorite by many and has been featured a lot in merchandise so it wouldn't be completely crazy for this to happen.  What do you think? Do you think MLP should have an episode about Derpy's past or just any episode about Derpy in general?. If you think yes or no, please give an explanation on why.

Don't say that Slice of life was one because it was not independently about her. It had around 7 other characters also in the spotlight.

I don't think they'd have her talk again after the whole censorship thing, Slice of life was pretty much a one off for it since the fans really pushed for it, maybe hasbro got a 1 time pass or something? other than that, there's been times since then were she could have clearly talked but didn't. As much as I'd like to see this, I dont see it happening (also you mentioned derpy being a background character already, and BG characters don't often get episodes past the main characters and side characters)

Yes, what this show needs is a entire episode featuring a pointless character with almost no personality. And after that episode they should make a episode about that rock in "The Return of Harmony".

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Forget Derpy. We need an episode detailing this pony's gritty life as a cop in the big city.

MLP_COP_02.png

Or better still, an episode featuring that beret wearing pony in the background!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 4

Derpy is only a background character, I don't really see why she needs an episode dedicated to her when there are actual characters with canon personalities that deserve focus much more than her.

Like Princess Celestia, Zecora, Cheerilee, and the Cakes for example.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Derpy is a background pony, leave that shit to the fans. There are a ton of characters that should be a much much much higher priority over Derpy

Like Princess Celestia, Zecora, Cheerilee, and the Cakes for example.

like these 

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 4

As neat a concept it sounds, I have a feeling that a lot of people would just tear into it for ruining their headcanon. There's almost no room to make a logical backstory for Muffin (I'm trying to get used to her actual name) that wouldn't ruffle some feathers.

Besides, I thought her appearance in Slice of Life was more than satisfactory. I got the message that the episode was a very special occasion, so I doubt that they're gonna do anything like it again soon. It lowers the value of special treats if you hand them out constantly, so what's the point?

Plus, I'm simply more interested in Zecora's backstory right now.

Ditzy "Derpy" Muffins Bright Eyes III doesn't need a backstory

That's what the fandom is for and I think we've done a much better job than Hasbro when it comes to fleshing out an animation error into a full-blown character

I despise the "Derpy is a bad mother and Child Services keeps passing Dinky off to other mares" nonsense people are spouting though

Yes, what this show needs is a entire episode featuring a pointless character with almost no personality. And after that episode they should make a episode about that rock in "The Return of Harmony".

Tom and Bloomberg team up as a super hero crime fighters. I'd watch that.

An headcannon that we don't need and especially on a background pony shouldn't be first. We need more information from the important characters first and not background ponies even though I love Derpy. Leave it to the fans to depict the background characters.

(edited)

Here's her backstory, written by yours truly:

One day, an animator was being lazy and accidentally fucked up a grey mare's eyes. It didn't matter to him/her, since it was just a background character and nobody would probably notice it. But they were wrong. Since then, Derpy's eyes would forever (not really) be derped. The end.

Edited by PonyLaces
  • Brohoof 3

Not to be mean but I don't really think Derpy deserves an episode.  She's pretty overrated and hasn't really done much to earn an episode about herself.  It'd be like making an episode about the Cake family, yeah they're likable but do they really deserve a whole episode about them?

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Forget Derpy. We need an episode detailing this pony's gritty life as a cop in the big city.

sig-4554205.MLP_COP_02.png

Or better still, an episode featuring that beret wearing pony in the background!

Both of which would probably make for much more interesting episodes either way. :P

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

Sadly this will never be a thing. Derpy's appearance in Slice of Life was immense, but the moral of that episode was that the background ponies are all important too, so she is still a background pony overall. Having an episode focusing on her past would pretty much make her a non-background character. Her being what she is, to me, is part of her everlasting charm.

Now that I think about it, we already have a character who could do the whole people with disabilities angle that people like Derpy for much better than her.

Scootaloo could do a much better job at it due to having a canon personality, ties to the main characters, actually being made for having episodes centered around her instead of only being in the background, and giving her attention and character development wouldn't be blatant fanservice that would involve stealing screentime from the many many many characters in the show's large cast that deserve attention much much much more than background ponies.

Plus it could make for a really good follow up to Flight to the Finish which already paved the way for this kind of thing happening.

And it could also allow for Rainbow Dash to get some good moments in it as well due to her relationship with Scootaloo.

(edited)

Now that I think about it, we already have a character who could do the whole people with disabilities angle that people like Derpy for much better than her.

Scootaloo could do a much better job at it due to having a canon personality, ties to the main characters, actually being made for having episodes centered around her instead of only being in the background, and giving her attention and character development wouldn't be blatant fanservice that would involve stealing screentime from the many many many characters in the show's large cast that deserve attention much much much more than background ponies.

Plus it could make for a really good follow up to Flight to the Finish which already paved the way for this kind of thing happening.

And it could also allow for Rainbow Dash to get some good moments in it as well due to her relationship with Scootaloo.

We've kind of already had that with Flight To The Finish and the episode wrapped up pretty well. A follow up to it may help though.

Edited by LaserPewPew

I liked Derpy better as a "Where's Waldo" type of character. I was excited when I saw her hidden in the BG, and I shout "there she is!" Now that she's out 'n about, she became less interesting.