general are you afraid of the dark? (confess your fears or tell a story about them)

rose chan

Not really,  I grew up in some deep and old woods and have respect for what can be in the dark.

I used to be afraid of the dark years ago, but not anymore. If anything, I'm now more afraid of tripping over something in the dark, which I've already done twice recently.

I'll admit, I'm slightly afraid of the dark. I'm not terrified, because that would mean I actually had a rational reason to be scared, but I get really jumpy and I don't sleep as well. When I lived in the country I used a night light, which was a little embarrassing for a high schooler, but now that I'm up here in the city the street lights bring in enough light through the blinds to be perfect- not too bright to sleep, but bright enough to make me comfortable. My recommendation, if you're afraid of the dark, you'll probably prefer living in town to living in the country.

(edited)

Not afraid of the dark, but I will literally claw my way THROUGH you if you back me up to a point where I could fall off something. Just as well, I'm not afraid of heights until I get about six stories from the ground. Also, if I can't see what's in deep water, I'm afraid to go in it.

Fear of heights, fear of falling, and fear of being unable to see what's in deep water (like, lake/sea/ocean deep).

EDIT: Oh and GAWD, I refuse to look behind me when going up the stairs after I watch a horror movie. I'd die if I found something staring back.

Edited by Jackie: sleepy mare

(edited)

When I was little, I used to see a cloaked figure in dark rooms. It would turn towards me and rush at me, but I always reached the light switch right before it reached me, and the moment the lights turned on, the figure would disappear...

I always thought it was my childhood imagination getting the better of me, and that it was just me growing up when I stopped seeing it...

... That is until I realized that the moment I stopped seeing it was when we moved to a different house and my older brother described to me the same cloaked phantom he would often see in the dark that would do the same thing to him... But again, it was only in that apartment, and it stopped when we moved to a different house for him too...

So while I have always been scared of the dark (as a really little kid, even before I started seeing the phantom, I just kinda was... I mean, a lot of kids are, right?), I am now scared for a different reason... because now I feel I have a hint as to what has the possibility of lurking inside...

Edited by Hocus Pocus

I used to fear the dark as a child. My counter was to sleep facing the door on my side of back depending on the room. Kinda worked till I grew out of it.

How ever as an Australian I'm ashamed that I'm anranicfobic (spiders) I just am terrified of the buggers, but I can trap them and such just so scared though.

(edited)

Not until I experience sleep paralysis or if I had a bad dream that I become scared of the unknown and flick the light on for a bjt :sunny:.

Otherwise no, but I'm paranoid of turning my back on the dark, afraid something will come closer when it knows I can't possibly be looking at it.

But if I do face the dark in bed, I'm afraid I'll open my eyes and it'll be right in my face :-O, so I'll just put a pillow in front of me :derp:.

Edited by 95-Wolf

I'm not afraid of the dark itself, or even what's in it because there isn't anything there that wasn't there in the daylight. What makes me nervous is the stuff my imagination dredges up and convinces me is there. Rationally I know it's all nonsense, but reason isn't always the dominant force when you can see things with your own eyes.  :please:

• Brohoof 1

Can't really help it but yes. While the idea of just dark itself isn't that scary to begin with, my mind still tends to exaggerate things when it's dark. Since I can't see well in the dark either, it makes me see things wrong and thus make incorrect assumptions of things. So those are probably the main reasons why I'm afraid of the dark.  :wacko:

Exactly. c: I agree. I don't know if anyone is afraid of the dark, but rather what's in it. Not that there would be anything...

post-35594-0-53479000-1467943560.gif

Not that there would be anything...

But there can be - we have cats in the house so I can remember when I was going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, my cat suddenly storms out of the shadows and I made a noise. :D  But that also kind of proves your point since a domestic cat isn't exactly dangerous!

(edited)

I actually really enjoy the dark ^^. But, when something starts to scream or make weird noises and I can't see who or what is making the noise then I get scared. It's more about what's in the dark not the darkness itself.

Actually it happened last night. It was around three in the morning and I was trying to go to sleep. I was having trouble so I started to watch some videos on my phone to try and help. Around 3:20 I started hearing this weird noise outside. I turned my phones volume off to listen for it. It sounded like a woman was walking around in my backyard and screaming. I am not sure what is was though...it screamed in short bursts then paused for a few seconds. They all sounded exactly the same. I could hear it walking around and it's screams getting softer as it walked away and louder when it got closer. Whatever it was didn't stop until around 4:45. At that point...I was terrified. Just so many thoughts went through my head for so long. What was it? Why was it screaming? Why does it keep coming back?

My imagination went wild. It was a thrill nonetheless ^^. After worrying for so long it exhausted me enough to fall asleep. Thanks screaming sleep fairy~. I'll never forget you.

Edited by YouMayNykki
  • Brohoof 2

There's no shame in being afraid of roaches. They are disgusting and creepy and take forever to die and can get everywhere.

So true....

The thought of them crawling over me sends shivers down my spine.

• Brohoof 1

I have an ambivalent feeling about darkness. There is fear involved, but at the same time, fascination and appreciation.

It's just so...beautiful.

• Brohoof 1

My paranoid and overactive imagination on occasion gets the better of me. Back a few years ago, I worked at a baseball diamond. Every so often though, each of us had to work the night shift. This pretty much entailed just being on standby in case the lights weren't on or someone kicked a soccer ball over a fence, but towards the end of the night, we had to lock up the bathrooms.

There was something creepy about walking through the deserted unlit park in the middle of the night, armed with nothing more than your trusty flashlight and your phone. The bathrooms were about a 5 minute walk from the car park. I was always scared of someone jumping me, especially on the way back from the bathrooms. When you're turning your back on the bathroom, you're also turning it against as all the possible nooks and crannies someone could be hiding behind, just waiting for the right opportunity to get the jump on you.

Fortunately nothing ever came from it. Though it turns out someone was living under the bleachers for a time, but they were probably even more frightened of me darting my flashlight all over the place in the dead of night.

Only when I'm alone, and its pitch black. If I hear the slightest noise, or if my brain decides to play tricks on me, and makes me think I hear something, I'll run to the light as quickly as I can.

Depends. if I'm in my bed, curled up with my dog and the door and windows are closed I'm fine. But as long as I'm out of my room, I am absolutely terrified of the dark. mostly because all of my nightmares I had since i was a little kid. While I know the monsters from my dreams are not real, I still can't help but be afraid that they are in the shadows right behind me.

Used to be terrified as a kid - I used to sleep upstairs, and I would refuse to go up there alone because there were no lights on the stairs and you had to climb the stairs to be able to turn on the lights for the upstairs. The whole area was dark and I was way too wuss to do anything on my own.

Nowadays, not so much. Sometimes, after watching a scary movie (which I do like once in a blue moon) or reading something scary, my imagination explodes as soon as I turn out the lights and then I get scared.

When I were young I'm afraid of darkness for crazy and common reasons. Now I'm not.

Only thing I'm scared in the dark is if I see a mouse does that "peekaboo" surprise on me before running to hide when the lights turn on.