What did you think of the episode?  

139 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• That was LAME!
    • Not really...
    • Meh, all the meh.
    • I enjoyed it; could be better.
    • LOVED IT, AWESOME-SAUCE!!! <3

It's just really bittersweet to me that this episode seems like the first legitimate step of an arc that should have started long before now. I don't understand why we have so many episodes in season 6 of the mane six spinning their wheels needlessly, when they could have instead gone towards advancing the CMC and Starlight.  :sunny:

This is the biggest problem with season six.

• Brohoof 2

I can't believe that in a episode where characters are wondering about cutie marks Starlight was not consulted. I am honesty starting to wonder if she is not just Twilights imaginary friend she sometimes makes real accidentally without noticing this. Why is Starlight barely allowed to interact with ponies when it is not her episode?  

It was nice episode otherwise with a long overdue story for a non pony and it was nice to have another griffon even if Gabby was over the top. Did anyone have an issue with her name? I was wondering during the episode why it did bother me but then realized that it was because I was reminded of Gabby Gums lol. Not that it is a bad name. I need to listen the song again to say if it was good but it was pleasant.

I agree, consulting a pony that can remove cutie marks as her special talent seems like a valuable asset!

I kept thinking the same thing about Gabby Gums. I wanted the CMC early on to say something like, "Can't we just call you Gabriella? We're kinda sensitive about the name 'Gabby'..." XD

...Whatever happened to Twilight? I mean, the last time she's seen is when she's dashing to record information on a griffon "getting" a cutie mark, and I don't even know if she found out the truth about Gabby's "cutie mark" and everything... or even her reaction to it, especially given the fact she was very enthusiastic about the new "discovery" of a griffon getting a cutie mark.

It may be just me, but I think that could be a minor plot hole (it doesn't impact the story overall but leaves me with the situation I mentioned above).

I have to assume by the time Gabby had her "Cutecenera" everypony knew what happened, including Twilight. I can't believe she'd sequester herself away so effectively to write up her research that she wouldn't find out.

Then again, maybe she would? XD Sounds like "Something About Discord" all over again!

• Brohoof 2

Pros:

• Great song
  • great theme (your calling is more important than a mark)
  • an enjoyable progression that wasn't rushed or drawn out
Cons:
  • nobody got cancer and died.
Just kidding on that last point, but I was really hoping that this would have a "the fault in our stars" tie in...and i can't figure out what it is. I'm a big John Green fan, and while I wasn't expecting a super serious life and death theme, there was a bit of hope in me that it might happen anyways.

Very strong episode.

DFTBA!

This is hands down my favorite episode of the season.

Also, with just one episode, Gabby catapulted quite a few characters. I've never really had a definitive character in FiM that represents my primary world view and personality trait.

• Brohoof 2

I agree, consulting a pony that can remove cutie marks as her special talent seems like a valuable asset!

I kept thinking the same thing about Gabby Gums. I wanted the CMC early on to say something like, "Can't we just call you Gabriella? We're kinda sensitive about the name 'Gabby'..." XD

I have to assume by the time Gabby had her "Cutecenera" everypony knew what happened, including Twilight. I can't believe she'd sequester herself away so effectively to write up her research that she wouldn't find out.

Then again, maybe she would? XD Sounds like "Something About Discord" all over again!

I think one of the CMC, maybe Scootaloo, tried tcall her Gabriella, maybe because of that lol.

I was hoping for a joke ending where we would see Twilight writing her griffon cutie mark book in the middle of the night or something...

• Brohoof 1

...I liked the lesson and how Gabby didn't need a cutie mark...

truly wonderful.

she cared about others more than herself...

and even when she wanted something, it didn't eclipse her other desires!

i like her a lot.

• Brohoof 5

THIS is how you write a CMC episode. On your Marks & The Cart Before the Ponies were okay, but The Fault in our Cutie Marks just blows those 2 episodes out of the water! 

This episode continues the trend of call backs and continuity nods dating back to season 5. I just love when it's used in a way to advance the plot. My favorite call back was Scootaloo using her "disability" to connect and relate to Gabby, everyone's new favorite Griffon (sorry Gilda fans).

With great writing, a catchy song, and a very mature moral, this episode is easily one of my favorites in the entire series. At some point, I am going to have to make a list of my top 10 favorite episodes of all time! The list keeps getting longer and longer  :-o. 10/10  :wub:  

• Brohoof 5

Really cute and nice episode. Gabby is a eager, joyous griffon and that's something we don't see from griffons too often. I think the CMCs are on a roll this season in finding their purpose after helping Tender Taps. Previous episode references and continuity are followed and that's inviting and a nice callback in this episode. I also love the wonderful the song and was so nice hearing Erin Matthews sing and voice Gabriella as her previous experience as Little Strongheart in "Over a Barrel". Very sweet and honest episode especially with the CMCs and I think it one of Season's 6 best! 10/10

• Brohoof 3

Woo! That was totally awesome! Jeez, the CMC episodes just keep on getting better and better. And the S5 flashback was amazing! I hope we see Gabby back, because she's an amazing character!

And on a side note, all griffon names up to this point have started with the letter G. 

And boy does this episode remind me of my passion for music, how every time I sit or stand in front of a piano or keyboard, a smile just lights up on my face. 

• Brohoof 2

Stunning. Absolutely stunning. "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks" might just be the best episode this season, not in the least because of the impossibly sweet and adorable Gabby. I want more of this griffon very soon, perhaps alongside Thorax. Ember can come too if she wants. But yeah, this was adorable, poignant, and funny, and had a great message too. Were it not for an unimpressive musical number, this might be pretty close to perfect. I love this episode so much, and I love this season so much. 

Full review on my offsite blog

• Brohoof 3

I always put higher than an episode should be sometimes, and considering CMC episodes are rarely anything interesting to look forward to, I would give this 4/5. For me an episode where nothing much happens just doesnt mean an awesome episode. We have a new griffon Gabby, 'The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone' is one of my Season 5 favorites, so seeing a continue of that one was a great idea. More of these references to previous episodes where no one suspected some new character has been observing would make it good but without introducing a new character like that every time.

Gabby's endless bragging of how she'd get a cutie mark started getting annoying to the point it was not very realistic. Maybe griffins aren't like that, they are more grumpy to be so childish, then again they are not dragons that would have even tougher character. Thats good this didn't happen:

sig-4662821.rainbow_feather_getting_her_

For a seconder in the end part of the episode I feared that to show us that 'wonders do happen' she would have got a cutie mark that would be way weird and destroy the concept of griffons, I think the griffons of Griffonstone are good the way they are. The rest of the episode felt normal and as it is with most CMC episodes, nothing more to say about it, nothing happened. (Good to see Twilight again, we didn't see much of her lately)

Looked at specific sites. Saw only few specific pictures. Internet, I am deeply disappointed!

That aside, it was a fairly decent CMC episode. This new griffon chick is cute but a little too hyper for my taste. They need to stop giving her all that pump-a-rum. Guess non-pones will be the only good thing that’ll crawl out of this season and if they don’t use them in that haberration of a finale instead of some background fan fodder, then what’s the point.

Scootaloo: "I know what it's like to want something that's out of reach, and just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. Maybe trying for the impossible isn't so bad."

And that's when I instantly loved the episode.

Jokes aside, I loved this. All 3 of the CMCs were fantastic, and they weren't bland or dumbed down versions of themselves for once. So yeah, their characterization was on point. Gabby is a great new character and an interesting addition to the CMC. I'm so glad this episode didn't have a predictable resolution by making Gabby get her cutie mark somehow. The resolution was a lot more realistic and meaningful, and that just makes me so happy. Also, Scootaloo was excellent here and seeing her have some time to shine was fitting and perfect and she definitely deserved it. The continuity in this episode was very impressive, those brief Twilight scenes were great, and the song was pretty enjoyable. Overall, awesome episode.

• Brohoof 1

Fairly standard for Season 6 as far as entertainment value goes, but it's bolstered by a great voice performance and a beautiful moral about how you don't need external affirmation to find what you're best at in life.

I'm glad it didn't end with Gabby getting a cutie mark as that would have been too easy. Avoiding the easier ending is one of this show's strongest tendencies that I thought was going away as of recent episodes, but it's fortunately still there.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

I may just be a little biased towards non-ponies, but congratulations, Gabby, you are now one of my favorite characters on the show. :)

I really liked this episode- especially since it tackled the issue of non-ponies and their inability to get cutie marks- and its resolution (carving Gabby her own CM) was a great way to resolve the issue and make everyone happy. I also liked the montage of Gabby helping out the ponies- it really shows how sweet she is.

• Brohoof 1

This episode was really awesome. The whole beginning was pretty funny and I liked how freaked out the filly's parents were. Gabby is an awesome character and she reminded me of Pinkie Pie in her hyperactive antics. She also reminded me of the crusaders from the older season when she wanted to get her cutie mark. Seeing the crusaders go back to their roots when helping Gabby was pretty interesting. The song was pretty good, upbeat and catchy as well. I really liked the moral and it's interesting to see that the crusaders won't always be able to help an individual get their mark. It was also cool that the crusaders made Gabby a crusader, and showing that her helping is her special talent. All in all, it was a very enjoyable episode and I really look forward to seeing Gabby make another reappearance in the future.

• Brohoof 1

There were some things I knew I wanted to see that the show hadn't done already, and this episode covered a good chunk of them. The main characters actually fail at their goal (sort of) and we got to see Griffonstone again (sort of--I wanted a "where are they now" type thing, and I sort of got it). I also loved the moral about not confusing a symbol with what it represents, which people do all too often. This is one of the best episodes the show has ever produced.

• Brohoof 3

we got to see Griffonstone again (sort of--I wanted a "where are they now" type thing, and I sort of got it).

It was kind of sad that it appears Griffonstone still has lots of friendship issues even after RD and Pinkie made their trip. Hopefully Gabby's new role will change that.

Also I'm surprised Gabby didn't bump into Twilight when she was visiting during "Stranger Than Fanfiction." Of course the real reason is because this episode was written at the same time, so Ed Valentine wouldn't have known Twilight was going to be there.

Still it would have been cool to get a flashback of Twilight meeting Gabby face-to-face!

• Brohoof 1

Y'know, the simple fact that the writers jumped right to the next novel idea for the CMC's arc instead of drowning them in bland new characters might make "On Your Marks" better for me, as that was the episode which established what they would do from that point. It's not the cleanest leap, but I kinda enjoy that they completely skipped any episodes which might have been variations on the same formula. 

• Brohoof 1

It was kind of sad that it appears Griffonstone still has lots of friendship issues even after RD and Pinkie made their trip. Hopefully Gabby's new role will change that.

I don't know, if the chronology reflects the order of presentation, then it would appear that Griffonstone's main problems all predate the arrival of RD and Pinkie. Even so, I wouldn't expect the hearts and minds of Griffons to change within a couple months. It will take time for the idea to percolate.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know, if the chronology reflects the order of presentation, then it would appear that Griffonstone's main problems all predate the arrival of RD and Pinkie. Even so, I wouldn't expect the hearts and minds of Griffons to change within a couple months. It will take time for the idea to percolate.

Aye. Now two Griffons have been won over. Small steps, but changing a societies outlook will take time. Perhaps the next time we see Griffonstone, there will be more progress.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen the episode yet so I'm not reading the comments but a question occurred to me from a clip I caught on YouTube -

When Gabby was explaining herself to the CMC, she mentioned that griffons are basically all grumps and treat each other pretty poorly so...if they all dislike each other that much........

Where do baby griffons come from? Why do griffons have babies at all if they dislike interaction? Does somecreature have to pay griffons to have kids? 

I see your point. I guess I was thinking about Gilda and Greta hitting it off, and figured that even though the old griffons would still be set in their grumpy ways, the younger crowd would act a lot more friendly.

I agree that it was cool to learn that even though RD and Pinkie didn't change things overnight, their visit did affect positive change!

• Brohoof 1

Gabriela is a gryphon Derpy.  Sure, she's good at everything, not a klutz.  But she has a similar personality and she's a mail carrier so meh.

Also, it really ticked me off that they said nothing other than a pony has ever gotten a cutie mark.  What about Zecora?

Edited by Soaring Symphony
  • Brohoof 1