Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler To where and back again villain?

ManaMinori

Since the title sounds like "to hell and back again", I'm assuming that the season finale will deal with Tartarus....

Now with that in mind, anyone have any thought on the big baddie this time around?

Personally, instead of some big Satanesque guy, which we kinda got with Tires, I hope the "villain" is some cutesy pink powder puff that the ponies have always built legends around, thinking that he was this terrifying monster, but in actuality, he's just misunderstood and lumped in with his predecesdor, the former Lord of Tartarus (or something)

Thoughts?

• Brohoof 2

My head says it will be Chrysalis, my heart says that it wants Sombra. I'm torn in a since, but considering the easter egg in the S6 premier and the changeling episode, I have to believe that Chrysalis is the most likely candidate.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's gonna start off as Chrysalis and her changelings, but wouldn't it be a little odd to have her come back with just her changeling army? She needs something stronger - an alliance! An evil creatures alliance! And part of that alliance would be her secret weapon! The return of a G1 villain: Grogar!

I'd personally like a whole new villain honestly, but if it's going to be a returning one, I'd want Chrysalis back, since she's easily my favorite villain, that isn't reformed anyway. Though, if they do use her I hope they don't contradict any of her appearances in the comics.

I really, really don't want Sombra back as the main bad guy, considering that already happened in the comics, and he had a whole character arc and stuff, it'd make no sense for him to return as the villain in the show. People keep arguing the comics aren't considered canon at all, but everything I've seen from writers and Hasbro pins them as being canon in the same way EQG is. Canon, but won't be mentioned in the show.

Yeah, there's a few continuity errors, but they're fairly small in my opinion. Straight up bringing Sombra back in show would totally retcon one of my favorite arcs, and I would be really disheartened by that. I doubt the writer's of the show would ever go so out of their way to do that to the comics. Even if they don't read the comics, I'm pretty sure there's still enough communication to avoid a huge situation like this from happening.

• Brohoof 1

Could it not perhaps be a reference to the Hobbit's "There and back again"? 

Interesting title though

Going to have to agree with  though. As much as my heart is loyal to Sombra, considering we have seen a bit of Chrysalis in the episode with Thorax, she might appear. 

• Brohoof 1

Chrysalis seems the most likely but I love the idea of her teaming up with some ancient villain...Grogar? Yes. That'd be awesome! But maybe we'll get an entirely new character. Either way I can't wait for this finale.

• Brohoof 1

To where and back, sound like to hell and back, so I guess Tartarus will make a reappearance. It says that an old villain of Equestria will return, but that information is vague at best. That could be another ancient villain, or the return of an already seen villain 

I'm pretty much 100% certain it'll be chryssy.

Sombra was used in the comics, and the staff wouldn't have okayed that if they were planning on using him again. So i'm pretty sure sombra is gone FOREVER from the show.

Nightmare moon is kind of out since Luna is reformed-- They could have the pony of shadows show up, but I doubt it.

Tirek seems to be WAY too high of a power level for this group, and I don't think he qualifies as "Old" for villains.

So that leaves chryssy more or less; She's the third villain encountered, is of a good power level where she's a definite threat WITHOUT requiring the EOH to beat (like other villains), was left without her loose ends tied up, AND they've been referencing her and changelings this season.

Plus it would help them shill those new chrysalis toys.

If its Not chryssy I would be incredibly surprised; Like, I'd donate 100 to charity in MLP toys level surprised if its not her, because I honestly don't see it being anyone BUT her, that's how sure I am.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 1

Tirek's an epic level threat, so he's out of the question. Sombra's dead, but maybe he's still got some life in him and has been biding his time for the last few years like Tirek did and Chrysalis is always an option given that she's a fan favorite and Changelings have already been shown this season. Plus, it'd be awesome if Thorax squared off against the Queen some how.

Course, that assuming we get a returning villain and not something new entirely or, even better, a revival of a villain from and earlier Gen. Fans (myself included) have been clamouring for Grogar to pop up, but now that I think about he might be a bit much for what amounts to a ragtag group of misfits. The synopsis does say "The return of the ponies' oldest and greatest threat", so there's very few things that could qualify for given the Discord's reformed and--

... Wait. Crazy idea. What if the villain in question... is Nightmare Moon? Revived as a separate entity from Luna entirely, and I know that's the plot of Past Sins, but I'm just picturing the bookending potential here. When you think about it, the Mane 6 were a ragtag group of unlikely heroes when they went to fight Nightmare Moon, and now we could potentially have history repeating itself with Starlight and her group.    

Tirek's an epic level threat, so he's out of the question. Sombra's dead, but maybe he's still got some life in him and has been biding his time for the last few years like Tirek did and Chrysalis is always an option given that she's a fan favorite and Changelings have already been shown this season. Plus, it'd be awesome if Thorax squared off against the Queen some how.

Course, that assuming we get a returning villain and not something new entirely or, even better, a revival of a villain from and earlier Gen. Fans (myself included) have been clamouring for Grogar to pop up, but now that I think about he might be a bit much for what amounts to a ragtag group of misfits. The synopsis does say "The return of the ponies' oldest and greatest threat", so there's very few things that could qualify for given the Discord's reformed and--

... Wait. Crazy idea. What if the villain in question... is Nightmare Moon? Revived as a separate entity from Luna entirely, and I know that's the plot of Past Sins, but I'm just picturing the bookending potential here. When you think about it, the Mane 6 were a ragtag group of unlikely heroes when they went to fight Nightmare Moon, and now we could potentially have history repeating itself with Starlight and her group.    

>Pony of shadows returns

>It possesses the mane six into nightmare forms so they're the villains

>This is why its up to starlight to save the day

I'm going with most Bronies' thoughts and saying that it is Queen Chrysalis making her comeback with revenge on her mind after watching The Times They Are A Changeling with Thorax.

If Thorax can help convince some Changelings to defect to the good side, similar to the guard Tynar in W.I.T.C.H. with some of Phobos' guards, and they ask for help from Rutherford, Ember, and Gilda, Chrysalis will be dealing with a veritable army of allies to Equestria standing between her and her vengeance on the Mane Six and the Royal Family.

Since the title sounds like "to hell and back again", I'm assuming that the season finale will deal with Tartarus....

Now with that in mind, anyone have any thought on the big baddie this time around?

Personally, instead of some big Satanesque guy, which we kinda got with Tires, I hope the "villain" is some cutesy pink powder puff that the ponies have always built legends around, thinking that he was this terrifying monster, but in actuality, he's just misunderstood and lumped in with his predecesdor, the former Lord of Tartarus (or something)

Thoughts?

I think it's based on "There and Back Again", the alternate title of "The Hobbit"; like this title, the one you mentioned doesn't have the word "To" in it. The rhyme just makes it seem more likely to me.

As for the villain, Queen Chrysalis does indeed seem like the biggest contender. Plus, if Trixie is involved (I think it's likely given Jim's tweet tease after "No Second Prances" aired), it'd be all the easier to get Chrysalis since they share the same VA.

I can almost guarantee it will be a new villain (or chrysalis). Though I think the villain is a dragon. How cool would it be if there was like a giant dragon who comes and tries to take over Equestria? Also it could result in the return of Ember, and I think she could be in the "unlikely team".

This theory is based on the title, which I think is a parody of There and Back Again, aka The Hobbit.

I really hope it's Chrysalis, but it probably won't be. The only time(that i can remember) them re-using a villain for a finale is Starlight Glimmer, and she was reformed, and it has been confirmed in the comics that Chrysalis was MADE evil, so it's highly unlikely. Also, the thought of Chrysalis being "friends" with the very pony she struck down AND the one she impersonated and stole her husband is just...strange.

• 2 weeks later...