Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reigniting Interest In The Show?

ColdGoldLazarus

Despite what my signature says, right now my interest in and optimism for MLP is at an all-time low. Season 6 has been pretty solidly Meh so far, with the singular exception of Gauntlet Of Fire, and from what I've seen from EQG 4, it's not going to come close to Rainbow Rocks' level of quality.

I want to feel hyped about the show again, I really do, but right now I really just... don't. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or should I just let this go for the time being, and see how I'm feeling about things in a few months?

Forcing yourself to like anything is generally not a good idea. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and that's fine. It's not like you're morally obligated to be.

Chances are, after watching it for such a long time, it's impossible to retain that hype you once felt, it wouldn't be "hype" otherwise. Look for other media arts, it's a big ocean of crap, but a surface of quality.  :grin:

• Brohoof 6

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Rewatch the show. Go back to season 1 and go through the episodes. Trust me, I was feeling like this too recently until I went back to the season 1 premiere and suddenly...I remembered why I fell in love with the show in the first place.

Return to the roots of your interest, and find if you're still questioning that interest when you return to it. Chances are you won't be. Season 6 is only 1/6th of the entire series - I wouldn't base my judgement of the show off a small part of it :)

• Brohoof 1

Forcing yourself to like anything is generally not a good idea. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and that's fine. It's not like you're morally obligated to be.

Chances are, after watching it for such a long time, it's impossible to retain that hype you once felt, it wouldn't be "hype" otherwise. Look for other media arts, it's a big ocean of crap, but a surface of quality.  :grin:

I am definitely with Mutton on this one.

Except for the big ocean of crap part.

Edited by Misscellanio
  • Brohoof 1

Despite what my signature says, right now my interest in and optimism for MLP is at an all-time low. Season 6 has been pretty solidly Meh so far, with the singular exception of Gauntlet Of Fire, and from what I've seen from EQG 4, it's not going to come close to Rainbow Rocks' level of quality.

I want to feel hyped about the show again, I really do, but right now I really just... don't. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or should I just let this go for the time being, and see how I'm feeling about things in a few months?

agreed for the most part, S6 has put my interest in FIM at a huge low, with very little hope for what's to come.

ironically, while I WILL agree that LOE isn't as good as RR, its piqued my interest back up for the EQG series, as it was LOADS better than FG, and seems to be setting up a pretty good number of future plotlines for the series.

• Brohoof 3

I'd be lying if I said my interest in the show was just as strong as it was in S5. S6 has more or less bazooka'd most of my interest in the show, and I'm no where near as interested in some of the new episodes

Though I disagree with LoE. Not as good as RR, but still a fuck ton better than most of S6 imo

• Brohoof 1

After the piece of Crap called Legend of Everfree, my interest for EG franchise has been greatly deteriorated  :unamused: . I watch this crap with zero expectation, no disappointment (cuz there is no expectation), ONLY RAGE   :angry:

About "Reigniting Interest In The Show"... Just give me an amazing new episode, my passion for this show is enough to burn a house. :pinkie:  

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

I agree with MuttonYolk--NEVER try to force yourself to enjoy something.

Trying desperately to reignite passion can cause severe depression, anxiety, and even make you suicidal (believe me, I know). 

I think you might just need to take a break from the fandom; I've gone for long periods without watching the show, making fan art, or posting on this forum. 

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1

Early during season 5 my interest in the show began to plummet, and with Bloom and Gloom came around I was considering not watching it anymore, but thankfully as the season progressed, my interest peaked up again, and with all said and done, it became my 2nd favorite season.

Season 4 and Rainbow Rocks was when my interest in FIM was at an all time high.

While I disagree with some of what people say about season 6 as it has had a handful of episodes that I rather enjoy such as Flutter Brutter, The Times They are a Changeling, Gauntlet of Fire, A Hearth's Warming Tale, and the Saddle Row Review.

Even if I haven't really loved most of the episodes this season in a manner to episodes like Amending Fences, Flight to the Finish, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pride, or The Mane Attraction.

However I do think that it would be best for the show to end this season and have the movie be the grand finale.

• Brohoof 3

Just hang out here with us! You don't need like the show to be here.

Just let go, and see where the wind takes you, clinging to this desire to feel hyped and optimistic

about the show will only bring you negative emotions.

I lost my enthusiasm for a while too, so I just stopped watching the show for a while. Now I'm back!

But that was just my case, and everyone's mind handles things differently.

• Brohoof 1

I feel the same way towards the show. You can still enjoy the fandom without following the show, but my best suggestion is to start finding other things to watch if you're enjoying this show less. I just got into The Legend of Korra and it's a blast. It does a lot of things that MLP hasn't been able to do because of its format and audience target.

If you're an artist, I suggest you give it the ol' artist's try. If there's something out there you want done but haven't seen yet, do it yourself. That's another way I've managed my time away from this fandom, and it's definitely the most likely to pay off in the end.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

Perhaps just a small break will do you some good? I had one point where my interest in the show dwindled a little a few seasons back, and just a bit of time away from it to do other things helped, when I returned I was fully ready for ponies again!

Though, your reason seems to be that you don't enjoy the current season, which is admittedly something I don't have experience with. I've greatly enjoyed every season, including 6 so far. Honestly, the amount of people who dislike it surprises me. But if that's the case, maybe rewatching older episodes you do enjoy could help? Maybe waiting for the next season, or the movie or whatever might help too. Just because you don't enjoy what it's offering now, doesn't mean you won't enjoy what might come in the future. :)

The important thing is to have fun though, you don't have to force yourself to enjoy the show if you don't anymore, it's fine to move on if that's what you want to do.

• Brohoof 2

Rewatch the show. Go back to season 1 and go through the episodes. Trust me, I was feeling like this too recently until I went back to the season 1 premiere and suddenly...I remembered why I fell in love with the show in the first place.

Return to the roots of your interest, and find if you're still questioning that interest when you return to it. Chances are you won't be. Season 6 is only 1/6th of the entire series - I wouldn't base my judgement of the show off a small part of it :)

^this or do a break

I've never done the one mentioned by Varrack but...

...i could use some that... ayy. I might do it. It's a good idea.  :icwudt:

About "Reigniting Interest In The Show"... Just give me an amazing new episode, my passion for this show is enough to burn a house. :pinkie:  

Wow, that's heavy. Although, kind of resembles me.  :ooh:

• Brohoof 2

I think that the show is beginning to lose some steam. It just needs some new clever ideas for episodes and or story arcs to keep it interesting. 

Maybe if they gave some side or background ponies some episodes and/or story arcs, then it might give the show the shots in the arm for the future.

Today's episode and movie were both great, so watch 'em ^_^

Eh, I liked the movie, but I can't rate either the episode or the movie too highly. 7/10 for the episode, 7.5/10 for the movie.

While the movie HAS made me really curious for more EQG, the episode today is mainly just kind of "okay", but doesn't fill me with the same kind of excitement that past episodes like Wonderbolt academy or Too many pinkie pies did.

I think that the show is beginning to lose some steam. It just needs some new clever ideas for episodes and or story arcs to keep it interesting. 

Maybe if they gave some side or background ponies some episodes and/or story arcs, then it might give the show the shots in the arm for the future.

Going to be honest, there's SO MANY loose threads and potential plotlines that they've thrown aside or never explored (Tree of harmony, Luna and celestia, more info on tartarus) that what I think they need to do is STOP introducing MORE, and start focusing on what they HAVE.

• Brohoof 2

Forcing yourself to watch the show is never a good idea to begin with. MLP and the fandom should be looked at as a hobby and pastime rather than something boring and mundane. Try all the methods that everyone has suggested to you. If you still find yourself disinterested in the show and missing that "spark", then that may be a sign that Ponies no longer provide the same entertainment to you like it did years prior.

• Brohoof 1

I agree about Season 6 thus far, mostly. I've liked the past three or so episodes, but everything else was just meh. If you're not feeling hyped about the show at this moment, your best bet is probably to stick to fanfics and the like for a while, or possibly wait until all the episodes have aired for this season and then watch them in one go, hoping the quality will improve for the final to ignite interest for a next season or the movie next year. Lastly, you can try reading the comics if you haven't yet, because some of them are really good...and some are atrocious.

• Brohoof 1