Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else think Season 6 has been a dud so far?

heavens-champion

Yes, I do.

So far this season, I've only really liked three episodes:

1. Gift of the Maud Pie

2. Gauntlet of Fire

3. A Hearthswarming Tale

Every other episode has been pretty boring, IMO.

Edited by Sparklefan1234

Yes. This season has been very boring and has been a huge step down from previous seasons. It has a TON of duds, feels like its spinning its wheels on alot of things and characters, HORRIBLY flubbed RD's wonderbolt's arc conclusion (seriously, WTF at newbie dash), and brought us a whole lot of starlight episodes, which I view as a massive turnoff.

Honestly, while the finale was a pleasant surprise (in that I was expecting it to be HORRIBLE, but it wasn't THAT bad), this season still has killed my enthusiasm for ponies like only Season 3 before it has ever done. which is kind of ironic given how LOE managed to make me actually care about the EQG series again.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 6

I wouldn't call the season a dud; more of a season with some hits and some misses. However, the hits have generally been VERY good, so to me, it's FAR from a dud.

• Brohoof 4

every season has bad episodes, and good episodes, season 6 for me has a mixture of both, though even the bad episodes i still found myself enjoying in watching, and giggling at them ^W^ but i have every episode downloaded, so anytime i wish i watch older episodes.

In my opinion, no. I think it's more of an inconsistent season, I've seen some episodes get lots of praise, while others get lots of criticism. I could describe it as a rollercoaster of highs and lows. :P Personally, I've enjoyed all episodes so far. :) Some more than others, of course~

• Brohoof 8

Honestly, I'm more curious if anyone else actually thinks it's pretty solid. I know for sure I like this one more than I liked season 5, and there's yet to be a single episode I've entirely hated, which for this show is unprecedented, and there's plenty of episodes which I've liked a lot. Yet everywhere I look, people are complaining about this season, and I wonder if I'm alone in finding it fairly strong.

• Brohoof 4

I wouldn't say that season six was a dud although there have been some episodes that are questionable in terms of story, character development, lessons, and the like. Not everyone is going to like season six because of where the writers are taking things, but I for one have enjoyed the ride, for the most part.

Oh, and I'm aware that the average views per episode has been lower compared to previous seasons, but I attribute that to Discovery Family not promoting the show

I'm hoping that for Season 7, we won't have:

• Any pranking or Daring Do episodes completely revolving around Rainbow Dash
  • Very little Pinkie Pie appearance time
  • Too many Spike episodes
  • Starlight Glimmer having more than four episodes
Edited by FirePuppy
  • Brohoof 1

There are more views on the show because it has been airing for a long time, it does not mean that it is better.

This is true, the show would have garnered more fans that just have to watch the next episode even if it's bad.

I wouldn't say it was a complete dud as there are have been episodes that I have enjoyed this season such as Flutter Brutter, Gauntlet of Fire, No Second Prances, A Hearth's Warming Tale, The Saddle Row Review, Stranger than Fanfiction, The Times they are a Changeling, and The Fault in our Cutie Marks.

But at the same time the season hasn't had any episodes that I truly love like Flight to the Finish, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Crusaders of the Lost Mark, Amending Fences, Twilight's Kingdom, or the Mane Attraction.

This season has ended up being a bit of a step down from the past two seasons and one of the less interesting ones we have gotten in a while.

I would rank the seasons as 4>5>3>2>6>1

• Brohoof 2

Nah, i think that's a bit over the top. Though i will say that it hasn't been the best of seasons ever. Though for me, i kinda think that after so many years, that the mane 6 are losing their impact and that a new series with new characters would be the best course of action. Atleast that's what i think.

• Brohoof 2

Not really. There was only one dud episode for me, and that was "The Cart Before the Pony." There were some episodes that were dull but structurally sound, like the Maud episode.

However, for Spike fans, this was the best season ever. All three of his episodes ranged from good to great (rushed ending with Thorax being the only thing I had any misgivings about). And he figured prominently in the premiere and a number of other episodes.

I'm hoping that for Season 7, we won't have:

Too many Spike episodes

To each their own, but I'm hoping for another 3 Spike episodes next season as that seems the right amount for a 26-episode-per-season show, especially since we got a number of Rarity and Pinkie episodes this season.

I would love it if there was a Spike and Fluttershy episode next season, since those two rarely interact, and Flutters needs some love in her character development, anyway.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 3

I'd like to call this season a disappointment, but it isn't. Not necessarily because it was surprisingly good, but because my expectations were low. After season 5 ended, there were some troubling news: Jaysson stepped down from the position of director, Rogers left, Larson and McCarthy didn't write any scripts, Josh Haber became the story editor, the hiatus would only last half a year, there would be many new writers etc.

Taking all this into account, the season fared alright. There were plenty of solid episodes like Saddle Row Review and Stranger Than Fanfiction and while the new writers struggle with plots, denoument and consistent characterization, they at least handle cartoon comedy pretty well, which makes me happy. Numerous average episodes and some really, really weird ones (Newbie Dash and Applejack's Day Off, for example), however, mean that it wasn't any better than "alright", which makes me sad.

One thing that annoys me is the amount of wasted potential. There were a ton of good ideas for stories this season but the execution was often very average. Not to mention that season 5 felt like a step forward but season 6 feels like a step backwards. Season 5 acknowledged and even handled things such as brainwashing, losing your home, death, creative work turning into factory work, isolation, pregnancy, being a celebrity, self-harm and losing your pet. The show was getting slightly more mature and it got me excited... and then season 6 happened. Sigh. Oh well, at least we got Chrysalis being awesome.

However, for Spike fans, this was the best season ever. All three of his episodes ranged from good to great (rushed ending with Thorax being the only thing I had any misgivings about). And he figured prominently in the premiere and a number of other episodes.

I fully agree with this! I've always been a fan of Spike, so this season has made me very, very happy in that regard. Go Spike! Edited by Professional Horse
  • Brohoof 4

Nope, I've enjoyed almost every episode, the only episode that I really just don't care for is PPOV, I don't know why but that one just seemed really boring to me. The season finale for S6 is also amazing so it's not a dud in that respect.

• Brohoof 1

Yet everywhere I look, people are complaining about this season, and I wonder if I'm alone in finding it fairly strong.

I think it's quite strong, too! I'm not a big fan of Flurry Heart and I think her introduction was pretty pointless, but overall I wouldn't call the entire season a dud.

Then again, people have been complaining about the show's quality since season 4 ended, but I enjoyed seasons 5 and 6 more than any of the early seasons. :P

• Brohoof 2

I really don't understand why so many people haven't enjoyed this season. I think it's great!

Yes, it does have a different tone than previous seasons, but I think that's a good thing. You have to change things up eventually!

Some of season 6's episodes have a mature, almost sardonic sense of humor; some of the more acerbic jokes have gotten bigger laughs out of me than I'd like to admit.

I wouldn't say the season was a dud, more like a season with a mix of good and bad. For me there's no season 6 episode I see as less than just okay (I liked most of them, with some that I thought less of), though to be fair it was a hit-and-miss season especially judging by how the others seem to receive it.

Yep, I've been saying it for months now. For me, this is easily the worst season of the show for two distinct reasons: 

1. The mane six have accomplished next to nothing this season. 

As far as actual accomplishments go, we've had Dash finally make it into the Wonderbolts, and Rarity opening a new boutique. That's it. They haven't even received much in the way of character development either, because in many episodes, they act as though they haven't progressed or developed past season 2. The sole exception to this is Fluttershy, who has managed to show that she has grown more confident and assertive due to her past development. Additionally, Spike has had a great season as well, with many of his episodes being among the season's best, instead of among the worst like they usually are. 

As such, many of this season's episodes seem utterly pointless, since they only appeared to serve the purpose of regressing the mane six and having them learn something they they should have already known. These episodes include The Cart Before the Ponies, 28 Pranks Later, and P.P.O.V. 

2. Both Starlight and the post-marked CMC have been squandered. 

Despite facing the insurmountable task of getting the fandom to warm up towards Starlight after her polarizing reformation, season 6 has proceeded to ignore her existence entirely except in episodes in which she's either the focus or a supporting character (her non-speaking cameo in Spice Up Your Life being the one exception). She has been shown to share a decent relationship with Twilight and Spike, but barely any effort has been made towards getting her to interact with the mane five, each of whom honestly seem quite indifferent towards her, not appearing to care one way or the other if she sticks around or not. And in the one episode that attempts to amend this, she willfully casts a controlling spell on the mane five, which not only damaged nearly all of the goodwill Starlight had built up to that point by effectively proving that she clearly did not deserve the trust that Twilight had gifted her with, but also showed that she lacks any respect for them whatsoever. I certainly could not see her casting the same spell on Twilight, Spike, Sunburst, or Trixie without undoing it right away. But for the mane five, she just decided to let it stand. I honestly don't feel that they should have wanted anything more to do with her after that, but for the sake of proving that they're still on good terms, the show went the direction of yet another montage showing Starlight interacting with them positively, because evidently, that's as deep as Starlight's relationship with them needs to be. 

Why couldn't Starlight have received an entire episode showing her interacting with each of the mane six individually? I can't help but feel that if they actually intended for her to stick around, that's what would have happened. But now, I'm just not sure. 

The post-marked CMC have been treated no better. Despite receiving a brand new arc after getting cutie marks, they have only managed to receive three episodes this season, one of which had absolutely nothing to do with their arc. Even more insulting is that by the time The Fault in Our Cutie Marks aired, the CMC are implied to have had a very successful career already. Why couldn't we have actually seen it? Why did we need the 22 minutes of pointlessness that was The Cart Before the Ponies? 

Starlight and the CMC were easily two of the biggest reason that the show had to continue, and both were not utilized to their full potential. 

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 5