Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else think Season 6 has been a dud so far?

heavens-champion

Yeah, Season 6 has been one of the more weaker seasons, and I'd say it's been a bit of a dud. I stopped watching the series for six weeks straight after the Changeling episode, and out of the six I missed, I've only enjoyed two. 'Dungeons & Discords' and 'The Fault in Our Cutie Marks'. In fact, they may be the only ones I've fully enjoyed this entire season other than 'Gauntlet of Fire'. All the other episodes have either been flat out terrible or just forgettable. If I'm not hooked on the first episodes of Season 7 next year, I might just give up on the rest of that season. We'll have to wait and see.

Naw.

Like every other season there have been several episodes I have truly enjoyed and others that just have not hooked me as well. And even the episodes I am not as fond of don't bother me to the point where they burn me in a personal way like they seem to do to some other fans.

Of the episodes that have aired this season, 10 of them I have really enjoyed, the rest were on a sliding scale from good to forgettable. I am OK with that.

To me it was pretty much a dud. I only liked about 2 - 3 episodes at most and that's only because some of them had some neat Easter eggs snuck in there. So far a lot of the episodes are so predictable now it makes them kinda boring to watch most of the time.

• Brohoof 3

Seasons ranked: S2,S4,S6,S5,S1,S3

Finales ranked: S6,S4,S2,S3,S1,S5

Seasons: S2>S1>S3>S6>S4>S5

Finales: S1>S4>S2>S5>S3 (have not seen S6 finale yet)

Premieres: S1>S2>S6>S5>S3>S4

Seasons: S5>S6>S2=S4>S1=S3.

The second half of season 1 would easily beat season 2 and probably season 6 though.

Premieres: S5>S2>S4>S3>S6>S1.

Finales: S3>S6>S5>S4>S1>S2.

I feel like the writers wanted to tie some "loose ends" before tackling this massive lore change. There's Trixie, Rainbow Dash, Discord, Rarity... All of them are now settled quite well. Starlight and said lore change are a bit different, as is Flurry Heart.

I may be wrong of course, but it seems to me they want to slowly broaden the focus, instead of mainly on the Mane 6. They have been through a lot after all, and have learned a great deal as well as a result. But other characters, such as Starlight or Trixie still have glaring flaws and troubles of their own to overcome. Then there's Flurry Heart and the new lore that offer a wide variety of possibilities.

So, I view it more as a footstool for the incoming season, with risks taken to test new waters.

Lots of Season 6 episodes felt like watching those lame Cartoon Network shows. There were some good notable ones but much of it was hogwash. 

Yep. It's running on fumes.

There's some good/okay ones, but I'll say this, if I saw Season 6 before season 1-5, I wouldn't be into this show.

Bingo.

people seem to be answering two very different but related questions:
1) is this the worst season?
2) has this season been worthless?

Logically, this could be the worst season, and still be worthwhile/acceptable/whatever.

There are some absolute gems from my perspective, including the premier, gauntlet of fire, flutter brother, spice up your life, and the times they are a changeling.  It clearly isn't a complete waste of a season.

But more specifically, by average quality, and by best episodes, this season was better than seasons 3 and 4, and could spike over season 5 depending on the last three episodes.  (for the sake of comparison, I pretended a theoretical season 3 part 2 was as good as the first half)

Granted, I like slice of life more than high adventure, and appreciate Starlight's arc, so if neither of those apply to you, I could imagine you not being thrilled with this season.  

people seem to be answering two very different but related questions:

1) is this the worst season?

2) has this season been worthless?

Logically, this could be the worst season, and still be worthwhile/acceptable/whatever.

There are some absolute gems from my perspective, including the premier, gauntlet of fire, flutter brother, spice up your life, and the times they are a changeling.  It clearly isn't a complete waste of a season.

But more specifically, by average quality, and by best episodes, this season was better than seasons 3 and 4, and could spike over season 5 depending on the last three episodes.  (for the sake of comparison, I pretended a theoretical season 3 part 2 was as good as the first half)

Granted, I like slice of life more than high adventure, and appreciate Starlight's arc, so if neither of those apply to you, I could imagine you not being thrilled with this season.  

Not the worst, I would say the show was on a decline till it hit season 5 and now it's sort of more on a constant. Though I would say Season 6 was just a bit better than Season 5.

Now I realize why I felt this way, it's because Season 5 had two episodes and many other episodes that were just serious pandering like Slice of Life and Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep.

Edited by cider float

Everyone will have varying tastes on how good or bad the season went. In the end, if Hasbro felt it was good enough by selling more toys and wanted another season, they would give the go ahead to the staff.

• Brohoof 1

I'm hoping that for Season 7, we won't have:

• Any pranking or Daring Do episodes completely revolving around Rainbow Dash
  • Very little Pinkie Pie appearance time
  • Too many Spike episodes
  • Starlight Glimmer having more than four episodes

I agree with the first two on your list, but not the second two.

I think Season 6 wasn't as strong as Seasons 4 and 5 or Season 2, but still stronger than Season 1 and Season 3. Season 6 had a lot of issues and areas where I thought it could've been stronger (Starlight, for example, but a lot of the problems I have with her predate Season 6), but there were also a lot of things I enjoyed about it. I'd put it solidly in the middle as far as quality is concerned. I think next season will be better, what with McCarthy and the rest of the crew able to resume their duties now that production on the movie is wrapping up.

S2>S5>S4>S6>S1>S3

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 2

I will wait for Top Bolt to complete my excel chart :D.
Great/good episodes: Gauntlet of Fire, No Second Prances, A Hearth Warming Tail, Saddle Row Review, Flutter Brutter, Spice Up Your Life, Stranger than Fanfiction, The Times They Are a Changeling, Buckball Season, Top Bolt (edited) and the finale 

Enjoyable episodes: The Gift of the Maud Pie, Newbie Dash, 28 Pranks Later, P.P.O.V, Faults in Our Cutie Mark, Viva Las Pegasus, Where the Apple Lies.

Meh/Bad episodes: Premiere, On Your Mark, Applejack Day Off, Cart Before The Ponies, Dungeon & Discord
Waiting for Top Bolt to edit this post...
(This list will be edited after Top Bolt airs)

Overall, this season is a good season overall with less fantastic episodes and more good/enjoyable episodes compare to Season 4, which is dragged down by 4 worst episode (in my opinion) in the entire series named Daring Dont, Rainbow Fall, Somepony to Watch Over Me, Trade Ya. Season 5 is definately better than Season 6 in term of Overall Quality with only one worst episode (Princess Spike) and 2 meh episodes (Made in Manehattan, Hoofield and McColt), and again that my own opinion (i have a fetish with What About Discord :D LOL, i called it a good one). Season 6 is slightly better than season 4 and worse than season 5.
My season Ranking:
3<1<4<6<5=2

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, so-and-so.

I see it as more "average" than good or bad. There were episodes I enjoyed, but most of the season was just average for me.

Edited by Nash

I will wait for Top Bolt to complete my excel chart :D.

Great/good episodes: Gauntlet of Fire, No Second Prances, A Hearth Warming Tail, Saddle Row Review, Flutter Brutter, Spice Up Your Life, Stranger than Fanfiction, The Times They Are a Changeling, Buckball Season, Top Bolt (edited) and the finale 

Enjoyable episodes: The Gift of the Maud Pie, Newbie Dash, 28 Pranks Later, P.P.O.V, Faults in Our Cutie Mark, Viva Las Pegasus, Where the Apple Lies.

Meh/Bad episodes: Premiere, On Your Mark, Applejack Day Off, Cart Before The Ponies, Dungeon & Discord

Waiting for Top Bolt to edit this post...

(This list will be edited after Top Bolt airs)

Overall, this season is a good season overall with less fantastic episodes and more good/enjoyable episodes compare to Season 4, which is dragged down by 4 worst episode (in my opinion) in the entire series named Daring Dont, Rainbow Fall, Somepony to Watch Over Me, Trade Ya. Season 5 is definately better than Season 6 in term of Overall Quality with only one worst episode (Princess Spike) and 2 meh episodes (Made in Manehattan, Hoofield and McColt), and again that my own opinion (i have a fetish with What About Discord :D LOL, i called it a good one). Season 6 is slightly better than season 4 and worse than season 5.

My season Ranking:

3<1<4<6<5=2

Not been a single episode I outright hated this season, and I'm that one crazy guy who sort of liked every single Rainbow Dash episode this season. They all have strengths! Weighing every episode I outright enjoyed this season, that's a good 73% so far, and if I enjoy "Top Bolt" and the finale, that'd be a really healthy 75%. Compare that to S5, which is barely acceptable at 58% , and you can see why people calling S6 a step down confuse me. 

• Brohoof 1

Powerpuff Girls did it with the Beat Alls(Beetles) why not MLP? 

A basic run down of the relationship between the active villains

Chrysalis and Sombra I imagine would be willing to have a temporary truce. Chrysalis is smart, she is the type a villain I imagine repressing her pride for a small amount of time to each her goals like a true sociopath. 

Chrysalis and Sombra however would be in fear of Tirek since they know what he is capable of. Tirek I can imagine would do the same, use those two to reach his own goals.

Ten bucks says Sombra sees the betrayal before it comes.

At first, yes. While none of the episodes were truly bad or even not enjoyable, I did think they were weaker than the older episodes. However, the past four or so episodes and the final were all back to being good. I really hope they can keep up the good work for Season 7.

I liked it enough. It's not the most strongest season for our main 6 protagonists but the side characters had some good needed screen time. Season 6 can be called "The Season for secondary characters".

• Brohoof 1

im VERY happy that theres been a lot of Wonderbolt focus <3<3<3<3 

BUUUT the writings not been great. my partner keeps complaining that AJ is really out of character, especially in the day off episode, she his fave pony but he complains a lot when shes written as really stupid. I could say the same about Rainbow Dash though at times. 

but we both feel that the premiere was really really weak compared to others, and weve not seen the finale yet so shush, but we're not getting our hopes too high for it. 4 and 5's finales are incredible, but after the Crystalling and the Thorax episode, we're expecting to be a little disappointed by it. 

I dont think theres actually been enough Twilight episodes, this season has been taking the focus off her a lot and we barely see the mane six together either. it just doesnt have the same feel as the previous seasons. I know its all preparing Starlight in whatever at the finale, but the hype is barely there! the box and keys hype was really well done as was the original gala build up, but theres not been a build up so far. its more like "oh remember Starlight?" theres also a lot on focus on Spike it seems this season, again taking it off Twilight! 

I think Twilight needs more Friendship lessons of herself still, even though shes a princess and teacher now, but we started MLP watching her as she "grew" and we've been on this journey with her and seen things through her eyes, so I think that may be why its dropped in thrills this season. Theres too little of the Book horse. shes always been the glue that holds the Mane 6 together, shes also supposed to be the front pony for FiM, but shes been taken down somewhat. 

edit: its also dull because of the reuse of the cutie map callings! we had that as the main line for S5, it seems somewhat pointless to use it again. Yeah ok, a pretty meh reason to see more of equestria, but its lazy to use the map again. they should have some more interesting reasons to go places, kinda like Pinkie and Rarity going to hang out with Maud. Id like more of that. 

Edited by StormBlaze