Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can furries be conservatives?

Meire

Yeah they can be.  I think the majority of furries are liberal or lean liberal, but a conservative can join all the same.  

Edited by AppleButt

In general, if a person is considered to be, say, avant-garde in some way, I think it would be safer to assume them to be more socially "Progressive" and want more government interence into the economy than the opposite (though more certain about the former and not as much for the latter).

But speaking of Furries and politics, I laughed quite a bit when I discovered the existence of Alt-Furries.

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2017/02/furred-reich-truth-about-nazi-furries-and-alt-right

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/furry-alt-right-russia-fandom_n_5aba4741e4b054d118e70e7d

Furries can even be homophobic a$$holes. There was even a group of furries back in the 90's or so that were just that. So I think it's not difficult to see a conservative furry.

I personally see myself as a furry by a more lenient defintion of the word, though I'm left enough that some people who are far enough right will smear me and call me a "commie" (even if I'm not even remotely a communist, I'm on the libertarian left which is by no means an oxymoron like the far right would have you believe).

2 hours ago, Dustlicious said:

Furries can even be homophobic a$$holes. There was even a group of furries back in the 90's or so that were just that. So I think it's not difficult to see a conservative furry.

These are the Burned Furs? If I remember correctly, I thought they were formed due to rather degenerate acts of certain Furries not being widely condemned within the fandom (one story I recall is a man leaning back on an elevator to find his jacket covered in semen). What I definitely do not remember is how they became considered an anti-homosexual group; was it the case of a well-intentioned group getting hijacked or were the motivations not well-intentioned from the beginning?

Though from only ever having talked to one person who referred to themselves as a Burned Fur rather than Furry, I am guessing this is a fairly obscure group by now.

24 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

These are the Burned Furs?

That's them and oh they were homophobes alright. A lot of burned furs made it a point to complain about homosexuality within the furry community in quite specific terms.

18 hours ago, Methuselah said:

Nope. Every furry is a right-leaning libertarian :maud:

That's mostly the pony fandom! I've noticed a lot that a HUGE number of people around here are extremely libertarian etc of course certain ahem users around here like to label anything they disagree with as "far right"

5 hours ago, Dustlicious said:

That's them and oh they were homophobes alright. A lot of burned furs made it a point to complain about homosexuality within the furry community in quite specific terms.

First let me say that very few people are truly "homophobic" in the truest of terms meaning actually afraid of LGBT folks. I myself fully support LGBT folks however many folks that are labeled as such actually are more so "anti" than "phobic" and because THEY personally disagree with something rather it be for religious reasons or for personal reasons maybe they just find the idea apauling which mind you is well within there rights to do so. However they then try to force there will on other folks and literally say hurtful things to said people, WHICH even though I do find it fucked up is well within there free speech rights as long as it does not get to the point where there are threats of violence and death etc in which case it does become a legal matter as you are making threats of someone's health and well being over mere differeing opinions. 

I'm going to use an example! If someone stands on a roof and shouts "REDNECK INBRED WHITE TRASH GUN OWNERS MUST GIVE UP THERE GUNS" 

As offensive as that may be to a large amount of people there is nothing I can or should be able to do about such things as even though me personally am against such things in fact everything I stand for it is still protected by free speech. Now replace that with "LYNCH ALL GUN OWNERS!!!!" THAT on the other hand is a threat of bodily harm against fellow persons as should come with legal reproductions. Though sadly I've noticed that often times on that particular subject it does not. 

In other words me being a right leaning libertarian they can say what they so desire as long as it does not esculate to threats of violence (which again I'm sure online it often times does even though most are talking out there ass and being internet tough guys). Of course that also gives you the right to disagree and state your feelings on the matter as well but we should all be adults and none of us should ever tell another human to "kys" or anything else that could be endangering of another person's well being.

Though I already replied on this topic I feel like furries are perhaps the most diverse group of people you'll find honestly. Not only is it a huge community of people of all ages, all gender, all sexualities they are freely willing to talk about all these things. Politics though in my experience is a thing furries either do not talk about to each other or if they do they do so in groups. 

There are so many groups that they don't necessarily have any interaction with a group that would disagree with them. So I genuinely believe you'll find them on every political spectrum as they are so diverse.

• Brohoof 1