Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you know any military veterans?

Cyandashie

This is a little bit early for Veteran's Day, but I want to ask all of you a question.

Do you know anyone that served in the military? And did they influence you at all?

For me, it's my parents. My mom has been in the Army for 22 years (Late 1991-9/1/2014), and retired as a LTC. My dad was in for 23 years April 1991-10/1/2014), and also retired as a LTC.

This has allowed us to live in places like Washington D.C, Germany, and Ukraine.

A lot of my good friends are former or are current military. Almost everyone I went to dive school with were military, including almost every instructor we had! Quite a few of my family are former military and one of my uncles is still in the Navy.

I seem to be friends with a lot of infantry guys though. XD

My step-dad drove a tank in the Fulda Gap in the 1970's, he likes to post pictures of his time in Germany on Facebook a lot, and he keeps a lot of his US Cavalry stuff around the house, he still has his hat and he wore that when he married my mom this year.

My cousin served in the engineers for some time where he was deployed in South Korea. His unit was going to go to Iraq but his enlistment expired before that happened and he came home.

I work with a couple veterans at work, though I don't talk to them much about it. One guy I do talk about it with was in the military up until recently doing tech support. Before he got his job where he's at now he was about to do to Afghanistan to do IT work for the army units over there and even had to apply to the DoD or some Interior department for classified clearance. But his term ended or he decided to give up on going over there. He still got his classified clearance, but also didn't because he was no longer working for the government.

I have two active-duty friends too. One friend of mine is in the navy and is a crewman on a nuclear submarine. Another friend of mine is currently attending West Point.

Heck yes, my parents. They were the reason I took 3 years of rotc and wanted to join the navy. The reason I never joined? They denied me because of my skin condition :(.

Navy like their boys tanned and well oiled.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My grandpa, my parents and my brother were all part of the military in some way.  I used to want to join the military myself but something told me not to, so I didn't.

• Brohoof 1

My grandfather was actually drafted into the military for the Vietnam war. He was shipped there but luckily he never saw battle. He instead stayed at camp because he was the only one who knew how to type, so he typed reports and whatnot. Isn't that crazy? Something so commonplace today was extraordinary back then.

My great-grandfather fought in Germany during WWII. My grandfather was in the Air Force in the 70's. My dad was in the Army for 9 years. One of my old co-workers just joined the coastguard after graduating from high school.

My father was a sergeant in the US Army as artillery stationed in South Korea. For the longest time I wanted to follow his footsteps, and join the Army as a Blackhawk, or Abrams crew member, but then I changed my mind.

I knew a couple more veterans though I lost contact with them, and don't remember much about them.

• 3 years later...