Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which pony least lives up to her element?

Ezynell

Which of the mane 6 least live up to her element?  

57 users have voted

1. 1. It's time to choose.

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Twilight Sparkle

Spike is strong willed, but clearly has a weak spot when it comes to Rarity. She definitely used her female powers of persuasion for her own gain here. And as for her being reluctant to use him as a pincushion, just because she's sometimes greedy or selfish, it doesn't mean she's outright cruel or inhumane.

All I'm saying is that if Discord couldn't manipulate him, she wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Tartarus of pulling it off herself. Every character is prone to greed at one point or another, just like in real life. I bet you $50 you can't me give an example of someone who doesn't have any greed in them, it's a natural human instinct. Pinkie is greedy about sweets, scarfing down a whole cake, but not leaving any for anyone else. Applejack was hoping to break the bank at the grand galloping gala, Twilight wanted to hog Princess Celestia's attention at the gala. Rainbow Dash would sell out all her friends for a chance to join the wonderbolts, technically that's ambition, but ambition is basically greed for intangible rewards. Fluttershy, well someday they better give her something to be greedy about because it is impossible to have no greed. It is only possible to avoid acting on it or giving into it. Every character has a list of selfish deeds tacked onto them. I just don't like how Rarity, despite only being my third favorite, is singled out for a flaw she shares with everyone else. As far as she, goes greed is actually a minor flaw. Her real fatal flaw is being fussy. I just can't stand people making a mountain out of a molehill. Look back on most of her selfish antics. They mostly occured not because of greed but because she has ridiculously high standards for everything. Sisterhoove's social? She hates getting dirty and Sweetie Belle was completing ignoring the high standards she set for her enviroment. Remember the Odd Couple? Think of Felix Unger's biggest shortcoming. That guy was fussy as all getout. Back to Spike however, he doesn't have that much of a weak spot for her. Have you forgotten that he's the second most rational character on the show. If he doesn't want to do something he's not gonna do it. Saying she manipulated him is really kind of a cheap shot at his willpower which aside from a few slipups is the strongest of the mane cast. Most of the things he's done for her were either not asked for or there was something in it for him. In a dog and Pony show he was getting a free snack out the gemhunting deal. Also there was something in it for him when he gave her the gem (he ended up arguing with Twilight about wiping it off his cheek though and put a picture frame over it in the end), if there wasn't he wouldn't have parted with it as easily. I'm just saying if his willpower is strong enough that he's completely immune to Discord's influence, I doubt a teenaged unicorn could have any luck manipulating him. Also she did show genuine gratitude when he gave it to her. plus when the episode ended he had gotten another kiss on the cheek, without having given her anything this time. Also remember this is Spike, everybody takes advantage of him.

All I'm saying is that if Discord couldn't manipulate him, she wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Tartarus of pulling it off herself. Every character is prone to greed at one point or another, just like in real life. I bet you $50 you can't me give an example of someone who doesn't have any greed in them, it's a natural human instinct. Pinkie is greedy about sweets, scarfing down a whole cake, but not leaving any for anyone else. Applejack was hoping to break the bank at the grand galloping gala, Twilight wanted to hog Princess Celestia's attention at the gala. Rainbow Dash would sell out all her friends for a chance to join the wonderbolts, technically that's ambition, but ambition is basically greed for intangible rewards. Fluttershy, well someday they better give her something to be greedy about because it is impossible to have no greed. It is only possible to avoid acting on it or giving into it. Every character has a list of selfish deeds tacked onto them. I just don't like how Rarity, despite only being my third favorite, is singled out for a flaw she shares with everyone else. As far as she, goes greed is actually a minor flaw. Her real fatal flaw is being fussy. I just can't stand people making a mountain out of a molehill. Look back on most of her selfish antics. They mostly occured not because of greed but because she has ridiculously high standards for everything. Sisterhoove's social? She hates getting dirty and Sweetie Belle was completing ignoring the high standards she set for her enviroment. Remember the Odd Couple? Think of Felix Unger's biggest shortcoming. That guy was fussy as all getout. Back to Spike however, he doesn't have that much of a weak spot for her. Have you forgotten that he's the second most rational character on the show. If he doesn't want to do something he's not gonna do it. Saying she manipulated him is really kind of a cheap shot at his willpower which aside from a few slipups is the strongest of the mane cast. Most of the things he's done for her were either not asked for or there was something in it for him. In a dog and Pony show he was getting a free snack out the gemhunting deal. Also there was something in it for him when he gave her the gem (he ended up arguing with Twilight about wiping it off his cheek though and put a picture frame over it in the end), if there wasn't he wouldn't have parted with it as easily. I'm just saying if his willpower is strong enough that he's completely immune to Discord's influence, I doubt a teenaged unicorn could have any luck manipulating him. Also she did show genuine gratitude when he gave it to her. plus when the episode ended he had gotten another kiss on the cheek, without having given her anything this time. Also remember this is Spike, everybody takes advantage of him.

Agreed, all the characters have greed, and it's a flaw for all of them. But the fact that she's the element of generosity emphasizes it so much more for me. Rarity knows Spike has a crush on her, knows he's willing to do things for her, and will use him to her advantage to get what she wants. Sure, maybe he would've given it to her anyways, but who knows if the thought had even crossed his mind before Rarity started putting on the charms. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for her to be portrayed as such, I like how she has that conflict of her generosity versus her greed, I think it add complexity and depth to her character. I just think she most often does not embody the essence of her element.

And I think it's interesting to consider what you said about Spike not being manipulated by Discord. For one, unless I'm remembering wrong, Discord never directly tried to manipulate Spike as he did for the rest of the Mane 6. But suppose he did, I would expect Spike to manage to stay rational and free-minded as you said.I think this creates a bit of an irony in Spikes character, where he can resist an insane, powerful, ancient villain, and yet his heart is melted by a woman. This is my opinion, not sure if anyone feels the same way.

As for others taking advantage of him, we definitely see Twilight using him to do her work and clean the  library, but that's his job and the house she's given him to live in, so that hardly counts. I'm sure you're correct that everyone takes advantage of him, but no specific examples of it come to mind at the moment.

Agreed, all the characters have greed, and it's a flaw for all of them. But the fact that she's the element of generosity emphasizes it so much more for me. Rarity knows Spike has a crush on her, knows he's willing to do things for her, and will use him to her advantage to get what she wants. Sure, maybe he would've given it to her anyways, but who knows if the thought had even crossed his mind before Rarity started putting on the charms. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for her to be portrayed as such, I like how she has that conflict of her generosity versus her greed, I think it add complexity and depth to her character. I just think she most often does not embody the essence of her element.

And I think it's interesting to consider what you said about Spike not being manipulated by Discord. For one, unless I'm remembering wrong, Discord never directly tried to manipulate Spike as he did for the rest of the Mane 6. But suppose he did, I would expect Spike to manage to stay rational and free-minded as you said.I think this creates a bit of an irony in Spikes character, where he can resist an insane, powerful, ancient villain, and yet his heart is melted by a woman. This is my opinion, not sure if anyone feels the same way.

As for others taking advantage of him, we definitely see Twilight using him to do her work and clean the  library, but that's his job and the house she's given him to live in, so that hardly counts. I'm sure you're correct that everyone takes advantage of him, but no specific examples of it come to mind at the moment.

I was really defending his willpower more so than her generosity, and I think it's safe to assume that Discord did attempt to mind rape him, because there were characters showing up throughout the episode who we didn't see him screw with, yet they were discorded nonetheless. Spike disappeared from the plot halfway through part one of that episode and was perfectly normal. When he first shows up in part two, he's still normal.  Which means Discord obviously failed (even when trying the same thing he did to Fluttershy). We can chalk that one up for our favorite bearer of the lesser elements. I think they make Spike's position as the elements of logic and willpower canon. I wonder what his accessory would be if one developed? Probably a watch. Oh i just remembered an example of somepony else taking advantage of him, Pinkie once tried to get him to tell her why their friends were avoiding her. He didn't know why, but she still kept turning up the pressure on him by adding a bribe, until he couldn't take it anymore and said exactly what he thought she wanted to hear. Rainbow also onced talked him into ghost-writing her autobiography.  I'm sure that there have been times where he took advantage of her, they just never take place during an actual episode, but hopefully they'll mention one someday. It would be well in character for him. He seems to be the kind of guy who will turn the tables if he thinks he's being used. Also I'd to reiterate the fact that she's always genuinely grateful for Spike's help.

I was really defending his willpower more so than her generosity, and I think it's safe to assume that Discord did attempt to mind rape him, because there were characters showing up throughout the episode who we didn't see him screw with, yet they were discorded nonetheless. Spike disappeared from the plot halfway through part one of that episode and was perfectly normal. When he first shows up in part two, he's still normal.  Which means Discord obviously failed (even when trying the same thing he did to Fluttershy). We can chalk that one up for our favorite bearer of the lesser elements. I think they make Spike's position as the elements of logic and willpower canon. I wonder what his accessory would be if one developed? Probably a watch. Oh i just remembered an example of somepony else taking advantage of him, Pinkie once tried to get him to tell her why their friends were avoiding her. He didn't know why, but she still kept turning up the pressure on him by adding a bribe, until he couldn't take it anymore and said exactly what he thought she wanted to hear. Rainbow also onced talked him into ghost-writing her autobiography.  I'm sure that there have been times where he took advantage of her, they just never take place during an actual episode, but hopefully they'll mention one someday. It would be well in character for him. He seems to be the kind of guy who will turn the tables if he thinks he's being used. Also I'd to reiterate the fact that she's always genuinely grateful for Spike's help.

I don't really count the incident with Pinkie as her taking advantage of him, because she was going quite loopy at the time to be honest. And writing Dash's biography, that seemed like something he genuinely wanted to do and enjoyed, having been caught up in the "Rainbow Dash Mania" in that episode.

Also, I just feel Rainbow fails more to live up to her element. Selling out your friends to be with your idols is not very loyal at all. Yes Rarity kept ditching her friends to mingle with the Canterlot Elite, but at least she conflicted about it. I f you gave Rainbow Dash a choice between her friends and the wonderbolts she'll choose the wonderbolts without any remorse. Also many episodes have shown Rarity to be truly remorseful when fails to live up to her element. In sisterhoove's social, she was crushed when she realized how she was acting. Rainbow Dash however never learns. She'll spend one episode being loud, short-tempered, brash and narcissistic, and seem to learn a lesson, but by the next episode she's doing the exact same things she learned she shouldn't be. Rarity learns not to be as selfish, but she never really learns not to be fussy.

Also, I just feel Rainbow fails more to live up to her element. Selling out your friends to be with your idols is not very loyal at all. Yes Rarity kept ditching her friends to mingle with the Canterlot Elite, but at least she conflicted about it. I f you gave Rainbow Dash a choice between her friends and the wonderbolts she'll choose the wonderbolts without any remorse. Also many episodes have shown Rarity to be truly remorseful when fails to live up to her element. In sisterhoove's social, she was crushed when she realized how she was acting. Rainbow Dash however never learns. She'll spend one episode being loud, short-tempered, brash and narcissistic, and seem to learn a lesson, but by the next episode she's doing the exact same things she learned she shouldn't be. Rarity learns not to be as selfish, but she never really learns not to be fussy.

I've never gotten the impression Rainbow would ditch her friends that easily. She was quite tempted by the Shadow Bolts, but refused to join them at the expense of her friends. To say that she'd leave them with out any remorse is an insult to her character. And simply because Rarity shows remorse doesn't justify her being selfish in the first place. Remember Sonic Rainboom? When Rarity completely stole the spotlight from Rainbow in her own city and sent her onto the verge of a nervous breakdown without a care in the world? She was only slightly redeemed by dumb luck when her trying to show off results in Rainbow needing to preform a desperate rainboom. Sure she apologizes, but shows no generosity in that episode to balance or make up for it.

I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon and go with Rarity.  Just, less in the sense that everyone else thinks so.  To me, it's really how much she doesn't do generous things rather than being greedy.  I don't have any on hand, but there are quite a few instances when she's more indifferent than genorous or greedy. 

Bottom line

I don't think she's greedy, but she doesn't exactly fill her role as the Element of Generosity. 

Well, i think Applejack. I mean, she lies really often, especially in "Party of one" and "The last roundup" But i don't see why so many are voting for rarity? She allways puts everypony else before herself

• Brohoof 1

Oh yea, I forgot about that episode where she lied about the competition and winning the ribbons tongue.png

She didn't lie though, she said she'd return when she had the money. And she didn't get the money so didn't return until they got her.

• Brohoof 3

I never saw Rainbow sell out her friends to be with the Wonderbolts. They all had different things that they wanted to do at the Gala, so rather than expect the others to conform to their desires they all simply chose to do what they wanted to do. I don't hear you ripping on Twilight for selling out her friends to hand out with Celestia, Rarity selling out her friends to flirt with Blueblood, or Fluttershy selling out her friends to hang out with animals. Spending time with people besides your best friends for a night is not being disloyal.

Twilight's is magic, and since she's a nerdy unicorn there's really no way for her to violate it unless you're talking about the "magic of friendship," because she really threw that out the window in Lesson Zero.

It's a wonderful world they live in and for the most part they seem to lead civil, happy lives, but it isn't ideal. They've all violated theirs at some point or another either out of selfishness or what they perceived to be necessity, but on the whole do a good job of living up to them. I would put a certain one above the rest but I wouldn't put any one of them at the bottom of such a list.

• Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, first an apology for not reading all the pages of this discussion before posting in it, and I apologize again if I say something that's already been mentioned.

Next, I have to vote for Rarity, because I feel she is the pony who struggles most when it comes to being in tune with her element. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and in fact that complexity is one of the major reasons I like Rarity best out of the Mane 6, but let's be honest, she wants a lot of things for herself as well as wanting good things for her friends.

However, some of the things people have mentioned I really don't agree with. For example, many people claim that her charming the nerdy stallion into giving up his asparagus is an example of her selfishness. I'm not sure they were watching the same episode, though, because it's clear that Rarity did that for Fluttershy's sake, and not for her own. If she had wanted the asparagus for herself, they would be right in calling it selfish, but that's simply not the case. And she did in fact give him back the coin he used to pay for the asparagus, so she didn't leave him short, and might even have given him a much needed little ego boost at the same time. So that's generosity to Fluttershy and even to the stallion himself (a stretch, perhaps, but I think it's still defensible).

The second thing I would like to discuss is the much maligned Fire Ruby incident. Again, I have to wonder if the people who commented on it negatively actually watched the episode carefully enough. When Rarity first entered, and noticed the Fire Ruby, she didn't show any sign of wanting it for herself, she just went gaga over its beauty, as she usually does. She even turned away from it when Twilight drew her attention with the book she wanted. It was only when she realized that Spike was going to eat the gem that she made any kind of indication that she wanted him to give it to her. And she very clearly holds herself back from outright asking for it, and is even a bit surprised when he does give it to her. I see it more of a case of her not wanting such a beautiful gem to be eaten than wanting to have Spike give it to her. I'm sure she entertained the idea that he might give it to her if she fluttered her eyelashes a little, but come on, its not like the others have never done anything to manipulate someone into giving them something (indeed, the whole plot of the Ticket Master is little apart from the others in the Mane 6 trying to get the extra Gala ticket by manipulating Twilight.)

As for her behaviour towards Sweetie Belle, this is perhaps the most difficult to explain away. Her treatment of Sweetie Belle isn't generous in "Sisterhooves Social" or in the latest episode. In the first case, I think she was unhappy with Sweetie Belle intruding on her time when she was busy with other things, much as anyone with a younger sibling could sometimes get annoyed and neglectful, having to babysit them and enduring well-meant but disasterous "help". In the second case, that Rarity was portrayed as being willing to let Sweetie Belle pull the luggage is an issue I have with the episode. That seemed just a little too callous for my impression of Rarity. (Acknowledging that I might be slightly biased in that regard, I still feel like it was out of character for her to do that, although most of what she did was normal, and tied in nicely with the lesson she learned in "Sisterhooves Social".)

Finally, I have to say that there is another form of generosity that Rarity displays for which she is not often acknowledged: she is generous in sharing her gifts in fashion and dress-making with the public. Sure, I'm sure she charges for the dresses, but she is using her talents for the benefit of others at the same time. And that's all I have to say about that...

I decided to double post, since it's been a long time with no replies, and I have two more things to add.

First, there is another side to Rarity's generosity that most people have overlooked. Rarity might not always have the "spirit of generosity", but she does always have "generosity of spirit." To see what I mean, think about what happened when her friends basically ruined her entire dress-making career by ruining her dresses with their alterations. What was Rarity's response? Did she blame them and shout at them for it. No, my friends, she did not. Not a single word of recrimination fell from her lips during this disaster her friends created for her. When they apologized, she instantly forgave them, despite knowing that the damage had already been done. That is what I mean by "generosity of spirit" and it should be recognized.

Secondly, I think there is an issue related to the main topic of the OP to be addressed. Most answers have focused on the general trend of a character's behaviour, but I think we should also look at particular examples when the characters acted most out of line with their element. And in that case, I would vote for Fluttershy in "Putting your Hoof Down". Element of Kindness, eh? Well she certainly said the cruelest things she could think of to both Pinkie Pie and Rarity, and ended up making them cry. She basically told them both that the things they held to be important were useless and frivolous, and that they were idiots for focusing on them. She attacked the very essence of her friends in an attempt to hurt them. And even that did not jolt her out of it. It was only when she saw the expression on her own face that she realized she had gone too far.

So yeah, in general, Rarity is least aligned with her element, but Fluttershy has deviated the farthest away from hers.

• Brohoof 1

This thread kind of sucks in that we have to vote for someone. I wouldn't mind a none of the above option.

I'd like a written apology from everyone who called Rainbow Dash disloyal though. I didn't feel like it was warranted before, but after season three it is clearer than ever that it is a false allegation :)

• Brohoof 3

What's with all the Rarity hate? I mean, in "Suited for Success" she went out of her way to make all of the dresses EXACTLY how the other ponies wanted them regardless of her own desire to make them how she wanted to. There are other examples but that's just the one that came to my head first.

Edited by AustralianFries
  • Brohoof 3

Rarity is the one that most deviates from her element, but that's not to say she's not generous at all (I would blame that on lack of time to focus on her character/poor continuity). She has a very complex personality where she can go between selfishness and selflessness. Heck, in "Suited For Success," she stayed up day and night to make the Gala outfits exactly like how her friends wanted them to be. And in most cases, if you ask a favor of her, she'll do it with little hesitation. She's fussy and uppity, and yes, even a bit self-centered, but when it comes down to it, her heart is in the right place. She will give and give and give to anybody that asks for it.

Edited by HeartOfSilver

Honestly, it would have to be a tie between Rainbow Dash and Rarity for me.

Most of the time, Rarity's a stuck-up b**ch. Most of the time. But in "Sweet and Elite", she risked being uncouth to be with her friends and even worked herself over to make the perfect dresses for her friends.

And why even bother placing Pinks up there?

RD always lives up to her element (Except when being manipulated by discord in Season 2).

After all, her element is Loyalty, not Humility.

Edited by Bloo47
  • Brohoof 1

I hate to say this but, Rarity does not live up to her element. Not saying its bad but, she might have the looks and her own personality. But her element is well, out of reach.

Probably Rarity, she seems to have a huge greed problem sometimes. And while there are times where she does show her generosity, they are very few in between compared to the rest if the Mane 6

• 6 months later...

I mean, more often than not, Rarity uses Sweetie Belle and Spike for labor, and doesn't give them any compensation for their work. Also, besides giving out dresses to her friends, she doesn't really commit acts of generosity. The most generous thing I've seen her do is give away part of her tail, but that was to demonstrate her generosity, and doesn't really count.

Am I just missing something major, or is Rarity not really generous at all?

• Brohoof 9

This is exactly what I was telling my friend. You beat me to putting up this topic. Anyway yeah I too noticed that Rarity pretty much never commits acts of generosity. She is more greedy and shallow. Not to mention she seduces other ponies in order to get her way.

• Brohoof 5

I've wondered this myself. I mean she DID cut off part of her tail and she did get really dirty and stuff so Sweety Belle would forgive her (generous or no?) But it does seem like her manipulation out weighs her generosity. Not to say I dislike her her because I don't, but yeah she does seem to do more "bad" than "good"

• Brohoof 2

Rarity's generous side tends to come out mostly in the episodes that focus directly on her, but it can sometimes be mixed with her vain, shallow and even greedy sides. A good example of this is the episode Sisterhooves Social in large part because Rarity was acting fairly selfishly toward Sweetie Belle at first. Sweetie Belle was causing some damage but she did mean well and Rarity did neglect her a bit at first. But she did the right thing at the end by entering the Sisterhooves Social to make her happy even though it was the last thing Rarity actually wanted to do. I feel that in episodes where she is a supporting character her vain and shallow side can be laid on a bit thick for comedic effect which can sometimes work but for me falls flat a lot of times. Rarity has a great deal of potential as a character but it seems in a lot of cases that the writers aren't sure what to do with her.

• Brohoof 7

She's not really that generous, but you have to admit, the mane 6 usually don't follow their elements that well to start with anyway.

Some acts of generosity:

• Rarity made 12 dresses in total for free, for herself and her friends.
  • She cut off her tail for Steve Magnet.
  • She was willing to be the test dummy for the wing spell in Sonic Rainboom.
  • Despite being jealous, she was willing to let Fluttershy have the spotlight instead of trying to actually ruin it for her.
  • She made Twilight a dress for her birthday.
  • Was willing to give up the ticket at the end of The Ticket Master.
  • She made more free outfits for her friends in Secret of my Excess. 

There are some others, but those are off the top of my head. Hardly any of the mane 6 follow their elements all of the time; that's what makes them great characters, they're flawed.

• Brohoof 20