Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which pony least lives up to her element?

Ezynell

Which of the mane 6 least live up to her element?  

57 users have voted

1. 1. It's time to choose.

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Twilight Sparkle

This is a question I been wondering about for a while now, and yet I can't seem to find an answer to it. I searched for this topic, just in case, and nothing came up, so here it goes.

How is Rarity generous? I've been re-watching FiM, and I can't help but wonder how Rarity shows generosity? I mean she did cut her tail for the "sea" serpent in "Friendship is Magic: Pt 2", and make dresses for the Grand Galloping Gala in "Suited for Success". Other than that, how does Rarity show generosity? I honestly don't see it. From what I've seen, her behavior seems to be greedy, and selfish. 

So I propose a conversation about this. I don't want to start any arguments, but I want to understand. 

So let us begin my friends.

I think Hasbro was trying to imply a different message by her character which is this: Nobody is perfect.

The show does a great deal of showing imperfections of humanity through ponies in such a way that makes the show actually enjoyable. If Rarity was always generous, where is the character development? It would make the show boring. If Applejack never lied, where is the character development? If Twilight never had her work be first before her friendship even once, where would be the character development?

If humans were perfect, what would be the point of our existence? Through our imperfections, we discover a deeper meaning of generosity, kindness, loyalty, and so forth. Our imperfections are what makes these characteristics so important to our society.

EDIT: To expand onto this idea...

The reason why Rarity is a good role model of generosity is not because she is generous, but she goes to great lengths to be generous. You might think "well it is no trouble for me to be generous, so how does it any different?" Well, Rarity grew up in a different lifestyle, a higher-class lifestyle, if you will. Being in such a class usually gives off the "greed" vibe. However, her generosity shows the opposite stereotype. 

The character development comes from the fact that the characters have to remove their own desires to support a greater need for their roles, which is what makes a good role model: someone who shows that it is not impossible to move from one lifestyle to another. 

Edited by BronyPony
  • Brohoof 12

Hm...well, here are some instants of Rarity showing generosity:

1. Cutting off her tail for the sea serpent in season 1, episode 1, "Elements of Harmony".
  2. She was willing to give up her ticket at the end of "The Ticket Master" in season 1, episode 3.
  3. She was willing to make the dresses in "Suited For Success" in season 1, episode 14.
  4. She was willing to be the test subject for the wing spell in "Sonic Rainboom", season 1, episode 16.
  5. She was willing to compromise with Sweetie Belle during the race and ending of "Sisterhooves Social", season 2, episode 5.
  6. She was willing to make the Mare Do Well outfits in "The Mysterious Mare Do Well", season 2, episode 8.
  7. She was willing to give up her social status for friendship in "Sweet and Elite", season 2, episode 9.
  8. She made the outfits in "Secret of My Excess", season 2, episode 10.
  9. She was willing to help Fluttershy out in "Putting Your Hoof Down", season 2, episode 19.
  10. She was willing to assist Twilight during the "spells" in "Magic Duel", season 3, episode 5.

Those are the main moments of Rarity's generosity that come to mind. Rarity doesn't show generosity often as some other ponies represent their element of harmony. Hopefully, season 4 will have Rarity being a bit more generous.

1) Just because of the plot, maybe?

2) Everyone else was too. She would have looked bad if she haddent.

3) She was exited for a future show. Not really generosity though. Somewhat fine.

4) She wanted wings, maybe? Later on she wasent that fine.

5)Good example!

6) ... Not sure...

7) Good. But thats not generous. Thats loyalty though.

8) Nice

9) Who wouldent?

10) Every one was. Thats not generosity though.

Waiting for season 4!

Though she may not be my #1 favorite, I will defend her. Rarity is only an embodiment of generosity. Let me explain. Through out the series, we have seen rarity give in her own special ways. Such as a new dress for her friends, or cutting her tail off for a serpant. How ever, that doesn't mean she has to be generous 24/7. The way the characters have been fleshed out is in a way that they could actually be real people. Thus easier to relate to. But if Rarity were too be too generous, it would make her less relatable. Which is why we've seen Applejack lie a few times and fluttershy... well, you remember the gala right? In this My Little Pony, not everything is perfect. But that is a reason we love her so much.

• Brohoof 1

Forgot the video's name, but I saw a video on youtube that the person did say that the pony seemed to him to display a different element over episodes and didn't really show their element very well.  Like Applejack wasn't very honest.  To him it seemed she displayed faith in her friends and family, and Rarity it was creativity.  Don't remember what he said about the others, Pinky maybe was spontaneity. 

• Brohoof 1

How is Rarity generous? I've been re-watching FiM, and I can't help but wonder how Rarity shows generosity? I mean she did cut her tail for the "sea" serpent in "Friendship is Magic: Pt 2", and make dresses for the Grand Galloping Gala in "Suited for Success". Other than that, how does Rarity show generosity? I honestly don't see it. From what I've seen, her behavior seems to be greedy, and selfish. 

I've actually wondered this too, sea serpent aside, the other instances of her generosity were not generously given in reality.

While she didn't charge for the gala dresses and such, she did them out of embarrassment when the others said they were going to wear plain clothing or work duds to the gala. So in the end she did it so SHE wouldn't be embarrassed and look bad.

Even when she went to canterlot to get materials for Twilights birthday dress (which would've been a generous thing.... would have) she ended up never finishing, LYING to her friends, and all so she could brush shoulders with a bunch of snide elites....

1. Cutting off her tail for the sea serpent in season 1, episode 1, "Elements of Harmony".
  2. She was willing to give up her ticket at the end of "The Ticket Master" in season 1, episode 3.
  3. She was willing to make the dresses in "Suited For Success" in season 1, episode 14.
  4. She was willing to be the test subject for the wing spell in "Sonic Rainboom", season 1, episode 16.
  5. She was willing to compromise with Sweetie Belle during the race and ending of "Sisterhooves Social", season 2, episode 5.
  6. She was willing to make the Mare Do Well outfits in "The Mysterious Mare Do Well", season 2, episode 8.
  7. She was willing to give up her social status for friendship in "Sweet and Elite", season 2, episode 9.
  8. She made the outfits in "Secret of My Excess", season 2, episode 10.
  9. She was willing to help Fluttershy out in "Putting Your Hoof Down", season 2, episode 19.
  10. She was willing to assist Twilight during the "spells" in "Magic Duel", season 3, episode 5.

1. yes

2. they all did out of GUILT not generosity

3. did it so she wouldn't be embarrassed by her friends, not because it was a nice thing to do.

4. thats more a loyalty thing, not really generous. She ended up putting her friends in a hot spot and nearly cost the lives of at least 3 other ponies later.

5. She only did that out of guilt, again, not a very generous thing when your guilted into it. She did it to satisfy her own needs and desires.

6. Did that to help with a prank, its not really generous, but close I suppose.

7. Only after she was so thoroughly embarrassed she had no choice but to do so. 

8. Much better tbh, but its part advertising, part guilt ridden after she coerced spike into giving up his prized fire ruby. Still semi generous i suppose.

9. Thats loyalty, and a extremely coercive side for what she did.. very rude to one, while semi kind to the other.

10. ... loyalty again, And anypony in town would've done that to be rid of Trixie.

come to think of it, she's actually very mean to Spike in a lot of ways, abusing his crush on her for freebies here and there.

• Brohoof 1

I'll never understand why people have a problem with a pony not displaying their element 100% of the time.
Their elements shouldn't define who they are as characters.

The element of laughter can still get sad.
The element of kindess can still get mean and angry when pushed.
The element of loyalty can still pick and choose her battles if she wants. (She chose 'save cloudsdale' over 'wander this maze')

The element of honesty can still lie (granted, she expresses great discomfort and awkwardness when doing so)
The element of magic still has much to learn.

So... i don't see the problem with Rarity.
The element of generosity happens to like fashion, and she happens to be a business pony.
I'd be crazy to not expect selfish behaviour. It's natural.
Plus, she's a good friend, so her off-moments are water under the bridge anyway.

BronyPony said it best, he hit the nail on the head.

Edited by Prince Dan
  • Brohoof 13

Rarity isn't greedy or selfish.  She's vane.  There is a difference.  She doesn't want gems and diamonds because she wants stuff.  She wants them so she can be fabulous.

"Generosity" definition:

The quality of being kind, understanding, and not selfish : the quality of being generous; especially : willingness to give money and other valuable things to others.

In Green isn't Your Color Rarity set aside her jealousy to support Fluttershy.

Kind: CHECK

In Sisterhooves Social she did what Sweetie Belle wanted, even though she thought it was uncouth.

Not selfish: CHECK

In Dog and Pony Show she worked on five outfits for Saphire Shores without asking questions or trying to negotiate.

Generous: CHECK

In Secret of my Excess she gives all her friends free capes she spent days working on.

Willingness to give: CHECK

Any questions?

Edited by Forlong
  • Brohoof 6

Let me put it this way, I think she is more generous than some of the other ponies, she gave Spike his gem back to save everyone no matter how much it meant to her, she also made all her friends dresses for the gala for free which if you ask me is more generous than any other pony in equestria

• Brohoof 1

Selfish
adjective

1. 1.
    (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

In Green isn't Your Color Rarity set aside her jealousy to support Fluttershy.

Kind: CHECK

In Sisterhooves Social she did want Sweetie Belle wanted, even though she thought is was uncouth.

Not selfish: CHECK

In Dog and Pony Show she worked on five outfits for Saphire Shores without asking questions or trying to negotiate.

Generous: CHECK

In Secret of my Excess she gives all her friends free capes she spent days working on.

Willingness to give: CHECK

Any questions?

Rarity set aside her jealousy to support Fluttershy.

Check, But at the same she also hadn't even really considered Fluttershy's true feelings on the whole thing either. But thats really negligible overall because she did what she believed was wanted.

she did want Sweetie Belle wanted, even though she thought is was uncouth.

Check... sorta, she only did it because she felt bad AFTER realizing that Sweetie bell was trying only to be a good sister to her. Until she had seen what sweetie bell used her gems for, she was purely against the whole thing to the point of ousting her own sister. She did it to ease her own self loathing for having mistreated her little sister. It was a generous move, but it was out of guilt.. so its a so/so moment IMO

she worked on five outfits for Sapphire Shores without asking questions or trying to negotiate.

She did that because Sapphire was a well known individual, which meant very good advertising in the high class fashion circles that Rarity loves to believe she's part of. Getting Sapphire what she wants without question, and earning her approval would mean instant recognition by others in those circles. Which would boost her social status big time.  See also "kiss *** "

she gives all her friends free capes she spent days working on.

TBH more a prideful thing and easy/fast advertising of her new line. But def CHECK to this one too smile.png

I'll never understand why people have a problem with a pony not displaying their element 100% of the time.
Their elements shouldn't define who they are as characters.

I agree to this fully TBH and its why I've never really payed any attn to these things (I do notice them, and make mental notes for fun though). Especially in cases where a character may actually go against their respective element to get a point across as part of the story.

Sometimes thats the best thing to do to get said point across. Make them act opposing, and then learn why its important to them to be who they normally are, and not let other things get in their way. 

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 3

If anyone knows the Brony Youtuber Bronycurious, he does a remarkable breakdown about how Rarity is the most generous character and even the most interesting character based on her "ultimate decision" in Sweet and Elite that continues to last throughout the rest of the episodes.

If you're willing to listen to minutes of info about character aspects, generosity, and Bronycurious really going at why Rarity is a good character while ending his speech with a yelling chant that pwns Past Analysis, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrBma4OPLw0

• Brohoof 3

I do believe that Rarity shows her element... but only sometimes. Like the episodes we had seen her show the element. Only other time she doesn't show it is when she is trying to impress the Canterlot Ponies. Also how could she left her friends at the party and not tell them about it.

Edited by zombie king24
  • Brohoof 1

I used to agree that Rarity didn't do a very good job representing her element, but not anymore really. Looking back on it, she does seem to want to help her friends a lot (always offering to do things such as make them dresses and the like). It's just that when she gets self-centered, she GETS self-centered. And that's not a bad thing if it's done in a humorously mean-spirited manner like in Sweet and Elite and Sleepless in Ponyville. At least not to me. :P

• Brohoof 2

she worked on five outfits for Sapphire Shores without asking questions or trying to negotiate.

She did that because Sapphire was a well known individual, which meant very good advertising in the high class fashion circles that Rarity loves to believe she's part of. Getting Sapphire what she wants without question, and earning her approval would mean instant recognition by others in those circles. Which would boost her social status big time.

Considering how tough a job it was for her, she should have logically spent time negotiating the deal in some way.  The fact that Rarity took the project without making it perfectly clear just how hard this was going to be for her to accomplish says a lot.

• Brohoof 1

Considering how tough a job it was for her, she should have logically spent time negotiating the deal in some way.  The fact that Rarity took the project without making it perfectly clear just how hard this was going to be for her to accomplish says a lot.

not really, If she got on Sapphires good side, the business that would rake in could hike per prices sky high, and throw her business through the roof in canterlots elite. Making TONS more in bits that the measily few she would've worked on for the startup

I highly recommend watching Suited For Success, Sisterhooves Social, and Sweet And Elite; yeah, she has her "time of the month" in EACH of those episodes, but ALSO ultimately "goes the distance" in trying to RECTIFY said mistakes.

P.S.- RANDOM MICHAEL BOLTON:

• Brohoof 1

in trying to RECTIFY said mistakes.

thats where the problem is though, She's out to rectify mistakes she's made, not to do it just because shes kind hearted. Ultimatly her reasoning is rather selfish in purpose, because she feels guilty for her transgressions against her friends and family.

While its good she learns from her mistakes, I think they take Rarity's position to far on this.

Like I said before, its good to show them in reverse to themselves and then learn from the mistakes, but in the end rarity keeps making the SAME mistakes overall.. She's been overdone excessively.

• Brohoof 1

Well, i do think that she is a bit underdeveloped in being generous, but i think its an interesting conflict when done right between her generosity and her need to be popular. 

However she has plenty of situations shes generous, some more noticable then others, alot already mentioned.

But she does lack it alot compared to others overall, it does exist though, sometimes in more subtle ways.

Especially paired with her lack of appearances especially in s3 having 0 episodes for her.

Hopefully S4 will have some good Rarity episodes :).

• Brohoof 1

I have been ignoring this thread for way too long, and i'm sure every single little thing that I want to say has been covered. As much as I love Rarity, she's by no means perfect. There are times when she's just self centered and maybe the total opposite of generous. I do want to see Hasbro work on this for the next season. I would like to see one episode staring her, showing how generous she can really be. Those who think Rarity is barley or almost never generous and doesn't portray her element well is totally wrong. Pay close attention to detail in episodes that she is in, and you will see what I mean.

Generous or not, I admire every trait Rarity has, and she will always be my special/favorite pony.

• Brohoof 2

She gave her tail to some snake/lizard/dragon thing so it had a moustache... yeahhhey often come fro 

His name is Stephen Magnet the River Serpent you bloody bloke!! angry.png angry.png

But anyways you have to think of it this way. Just because she wields the element of generosity doesn't mean Rarity needs to be consistently generous or even regularly generous. People tend to forget heroes and role models often come from the unlikeliest of people. Ghandi didn't choose to become a national hero and leader for independence, Paul the apostle was certainly no virtuous saint when it was called upon him, nor was Rosa Parks truly seeking a name for herself.

In that same vein Applejack isn't consistently honest. In fact one of her most notable episodes, The Last Roundup, she was anything but honest. Nor has Rainbow Dash shown herself to be all that loyal to her friends at times, especially when Discord gave her the chance to leave or when she has often unknowingly put herself above others.

That's actually the beautiful thing about a character like Rarity. Upon initially seeing her, you don't expect her to be generous. In fact the way she acts and behaves she seems quite selfish, pompous and out of touch. But in spite of her self, her status, and sensibilities, she's consistently proven when push come to shove that she can help her friends and give to those who truly need. After all she went out of her way not just to help the Mane 6, but also Cadance even when she knew the task was daunting, went out of her way to make a new toupee for a complete stranger Cranky, put her life at risk vs. hostile dragons for a friend and of course went out of her way to reach out to her sister by leaving her comfort zone. She did this all and more when she simply could have chosen not to with little consequences to herself.

Rarity may not seem like the most charitable philanthropist out there, but through her acts she's given much more in good virtue and generosity than any dollar sum might amount to. 

• Brohoof 2

I find it interesting that Rarity's base personality almost contradicts the nature of generosity. I know that Rarity isn't greedy and she constantly expresses her generosity.

Whether it her giving her time to someone else ( it's generosity not loyalty) or some physical object. Rarity is a, very generous pony but only when she wants to be.

I think it's something that you can't naturally show like all the other elements. Naturally, Applejack is Honest, Fluttershy is kind, etc, but Rarity in the other hand isn't really like that.

• Brohoof 1

The reason why Rarity is a good role model of generosity is not because she is generous, but she goes to great lengths to be generous. You might think "well it is no trouble for me to be generous, so how does it any different?" Well, Rarity grew up in a different lifestyle, a higher-class lifestyle, if you will. Being in such a class usually gives off the "greed" vibe. However, her generosity shows the opposite stereotype.

Not even that. Rarity tries for it, certainly, but she isn't high class. She didn't inherit money or status from her parents, and I suspect her job gives her only a modest salary. Yeah, she's taking every opportunity she can to make money and look good to the elite; that's ambition! 

tumblr_mn61cjS5xL1s3nyhgo8_250.gif?13725       tumblr_mn61cjS5xL1s3nyhgo3_250.gif?13725

It is a lot of trouble for Rarity to be generous. The fact that she goes through that trouble when she has the most reason of the Mane 6 not to makes her the element of generosity.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 6

Cutting off her tail for the sea serpent in season 1, episode 1, "Elements of Harmony". She was willing to give up her ticket at the end of "The Ticket Master" in season 1, episode 3. She was willing to make the dresses in "Suited For Success" in season 1, episode 14. She was willing to be the test subject for the wing spell in "Sonic Rainboom", season 1, episode 16. She was willing to compromise with Sweetie Belle during the race and ending of "Sisterhooves Social", season 2, episode 5. She was willing to make the Mare Do Well outfits in "The Mysterious Mare Do Well", season 2, episode 8. She was willing to give up her social status for friendship in "Sweet and Elite", season 2, episode 9. She made the outfits in "Secret of My Excess", season 2, episode 10. She was willing to help Fluttershy out in "Putting Your Hoof Down", season 2, episode 19. She was willing to assist Twilight during the "spells" in "Magic Duel", season 3, episode 5.

All this! Yes.

Anyways, she is indeed very generous, as seen in many episodes,

Even when she doesn't want to, she will do it for her friends and anyone else. 

• Brohoof 1