Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which pony least lives up to her element?

Ezynell

Which of the mane 6 least live up to her element?  

57 users have voted

1. 1. It's time to choose.

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Twilight Sparkle

Had to edit my post, because what I originally said wasn't necessary.

Calling Rarity greedy simply based on two of hundreds of scenes really doesn't make sense.  What about all those other scenes, like her leaving a chest of valuables wide open, giving out free dresses and capes, or thanking Celestia about a dozen times?  Were those actions greedy?

Edited by Forlong
  • Brohoof 2

Calling Rarity greedy simply based on two of hundreds of scenes really doesn't make sense.  What about all those other scenes, like her leaving a chest of valuables wide open, giving out free dresses and capes, or thanking Celestia about a dozen times?  Were those actions greedy?

There you go biggrin.png

And, dude, totally correct. I put up a huge, long, painstaking list of scenes like this a couple of pages back in an attempt to kill this topic, but, yeahh...people just don't want to get it.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

Exactly

I think Rarity's more generous moment's outweigh her greedy ones. Though Rarity sucking up to Celestia was simply out of respect because everyone is kind of scared of her (like Luna) and try to act their best around her.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Just amazing!blink.png

When I started this thread I didn't expect this response. This has gone way above, and beyond my expectations. So let me say thank you for the overwhelming response. yay.png

Maybe its because the Mane 6 don't reflect their respective elements constantly, that makes them seem more believable as characters. They have flaws that they need to work on, and improve. Rarity may be a businesspony, but she does take time from her schedule to help others.

So I think this thread is at an end. I know some of you may not have thought this poll worthy, or even worth a thread of its own, but thank you for indulging me. 

You guys rock! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

I'll just leave this here for everypony.biggrin.png

Edited by Sir Cal Stonehoof

No, Rarity isn't really generous, but she's not the worst offender in terms of going against her element.

I think Applejack has had the fewest demonstrations of honesty of the Mane 6.  She's also had a fair number of dishonest moments.  See Super Cider Squeezy, Party of One, Magic Duel, Last Roundup...

To be honest here, I was more in the lines of thinking Applejack and Rainbow Dash's marks tend to be switched. Applejack seems just more loyal than Rainbow Dash to me and on the other hoof, Rainbow Dash exhibits blunt honesty. (Even going as far as running away from Pinkie Pie in Party of One not to tell. )She's so blunt she even admitted Rarity's dreams to become a fashion star were crushed in Suited for Success.  ("She kinda is!") 

While people tend to forget that Rarity can't always be generous, she's still generosity for a reason. Pinkie Pie did sorta break her element at least a few times, albeit, if you believe that laughter means "bringing joy to others." The only element to not be broken would be Twilight's.

No, Rarity isn't really generous, but she's not the worst offender in terms of going against her element.

I think Applejack has had the fewest demonstrations of honesty of the Mane 6.  She's also had a fair number of dishonest moments.  See Super Cider Squeezy, Party of One, Magic Duel, Last Roundup...

Actually, Party of One can't count because she didn't lie then. She was doing construction in the barn. While they didn't necessarily do the kind that uh..."faked." They did in a way. They built the party.

Generosity does not only apply to situations in where materialistic objects are involved, generosity means by all needs putting others in front of you and willing to sacrifice your own needs for others, and Rarity might not show this plenty, but I considered get episodes to always have the best lessons.

"Sweet and Elite" and "Sisterhooves Social" both had similar lessons, while Rarity through out the episodes was somewhat selfish, the endings were what she learned out of it, so she does improve episode after episode.

In "Sweet and Elite" she risked her social status for her friends, after going through the hard work of impressing others and living what she always dreamed of, but in the end  her friends were far more important, and in "Sisterhooves Social" her annoyance with her little sister was something people with younger siblings can relate to, and she solved it doing something that not that many people would be willing to do.

So, no she's not selfish, and her generosity is definitively there.

*The auto correct on my phone is sent from hell to make me miserable.

Edited by The Pinkazoid
  • Brohoof 3

• 6 months later...

yep, exactly as it says on the tin.  what's your opinion? my vote is Rarity. (sorry Ghostie) I mean, how often do we truly see her being generous?

(edited)

I don't agree on Rarity, I think her generosity has been demonstrated many times over the course of the show.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to go with Dashie... she doesn't show her loyalty all that often, and she does get the opportunity, it seems like it's usually a struggle for her.

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

My vote would go to Rainbow. Of all of the elements Loyalty is in my opinion the hardest to display in everyday life, since it typically is only really an issue when there's a problem that can break you off from your core friends. And as I've always said, Rainbow probably has the weakest sense of self of the Mane Six. When things go wrong for her she folds in a way that betrays what she seemingly should be as a person (brash, confident, aggressive), which means she barely even has loyalty to her own ideals, let alone those of others. She's honestly the weakest character of the Mane Six, I still like her, but the way she's written as of now she's the one most overtly struggling to come to terms with her what her element demands of her.

Edited by Little Black Dress
  • Brohoof 1

This was almost a tie for me.  I was going to say Rainbow Dash, because she's not always very loyal. (Wanting to switch teams, trading Fluttershy for a book).  But I had to pick Applejack.  She is supposed to be honesty, but she lies a lot.

Rarity is very generous.  She's always making dresses for her friends, and she's been generous to others in quite a few episodes.  

Fluttershy is kind to the point of being a doormat.

Twilight is very skilled with her magic.

And Pinkie Pie, yeah... lol

(edited)

I would have to say Applejack is #1 and Rainbow Dash is #2. The two of them seem to have one-another's elements.

Rainbow Dash is blunt about things. She certainly isn't afraid to lie. Applejack has lied on occasion. I can not specifically recall a good moment where she lied, but I'm pretty sure that she lies more than Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash has displayed loyalty a number of times but ... she's really not around all that much when you really look at it, and a few times she has in a sense "betrayed" her friends.

I'm sorry for not being too specific but I intend on marathoning all 4 seasons soon so I will have a higher recall after I do so.

As for the others, they actively display their elements on a regular basis.

Edited by Painted Lattice

yep, exactly as it says on the tin.  what's your opinion? my vote is Rarity. (sorry Ghostie) I mean, how often do we truly see her being generous?

Im sorry but thats just not true.

Rarity made expensive gifts for her friends numerous times.

She sacrificed chance of advancement in her career multiple times.

She has the biggest trackrecord of doing things that she hates for the sake of friends/Sweetie.

In fact, every day she lives in Ponyville is a sacrifice for her friends, seeing that she could as well live in Canterlot or Manehatten now. Why does she not move there? She would be way closer to the high society. And she could move there after Rares takes Manehatten and Sweet and Elite.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I've always had the assumption that Rarity is the one who shows her Element the least, doesn't mean she doesn't show it at all, though. ^^

Edited by Adorkable
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I mean, how often do we truly see her being generous?

S01E01: Friendship is Magic

Gives Twilight a free makeover after Rainbow Dash messed up her mane.

S01E02: Friendship Is Magic

Cuts off her tail to give a monster or something the missing half of his mustache.

S01E11: Winter Wrap Up

After Twilight did a horrible job making a nest, she spent all of her time trying to fix her friend's mistake, putting her horribly behind quota.

S01E14: Suited For Success

Made all of her friends dresses for the gala free of charge, and they kept complaining about how they looked and how they wanted them to look, which made her dresses look horrible in front of some huge name in the fashion business.

S01E16: Sonic Rainboom

When Twilight wanted to try out a new spell that she had never done before and warned it could have possible side effects if botched, Rarity readily subjects herself to the spell, so she can go cheer on Rainbow Dash at her flying competition.

S01E20: Green isn't Your Color

Keeps quiet about her jealousy of Fluttershy's newfound fame in the fashion business, something she had been trying to accomplish before the show even started. After Fluttershy stumbles and trips on the runway and the crowd turns against her, Rarity begins cheering to save her friend, despite feeling it should've been her making it big instead of Fluttershy.

S01E25: A Party of One

Purposely ruins her mane, which she's extremely proud of, in order to keep Pinkie's surprise party a secret.

S02E05: Sisterhooves Social

After making a mistake in the way she took care of her sister, she hid IN MUD in order to complete a race with her sister for forgiveness, when all and all, it was just siblings fighting over trivial matters, like EVERY siblings do.

S02E08: Mysterious Mare Do Well

Makes 4 costumes for her friends to wear in their mission of bringing a borderlining on narcissism Rainbow Dash back down to earth.

S02E09: Sweet & Elite

When it came down to it, she chose her unsophisticated Ponyville friends over the Canterlot Ponies, who she had dreamt of fitting in with.

S02E10: Secret of My Excess

Spares the feelings of a horny baby dragon who stole half of the city and kidnapped her, even going as far to kiss him on the cheek.

S02E14: The Last Roundup

Rides a damn whatever you call that thing all the way back to Ponyville with an extremely repetitive Pinkie Pie due to Rainbow Dash's negligence.

S02E19: Putting Your Hoof Down

Tries helping Fluttershy learn how to stand up for herself, and welcomes Fluttershy back after she attacks her dreams.

S02E21: Dragon Quest

Attempts to stand up for Spike when the other 5 laugh at his apron. Creates a huge costume so RD, Twilight and herself could follow him to make sure he was alright. Stands directly behind Rainbow Dash's flank the entire time they're hiding, without complaining. Prepares to fight dragons in yet another attempt to stand up for Spike.

S02E25: A Canterlot Wedding

Makes a ton a fricken' dresses for the wedding, free of charge.

S03E01: The Crystal Empire

In order to buy time for Twilight, makes a bunch of hats and shit out of hay and straws. Does a very good job at it, I might add.

S03E12: Games Ponies Play

Takes the extremely difficult job of preparing Cadence's mane in the intricate detail it had to be done in, with only 15 minutes of time left. Also does a good job.

(Note: Rarity got screwed in Season 3. I assure you Season 4 will be different.)

Equestria Girls:

Makes dressed for them to all wear to the dance free of charge. Helps clean up the gym so Twilight could when the crown that night, despite hating messes. After Sunset Playdough-Hair ruins Twilight's reputation, tries helping Twilight go incognito until it can be fixed. Share her idea and Wondercolt's costume with the rest to change Twilight's horrid reputation.

S04E03 - Castle Mane-ia

Heads to the Castle of the Two Sisters in order to restore ancient tapestries out of respect to art. She'd be giving her time, effort, and possibly money for needed supplies to restore something that's not hers for free.

S04E08 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

• Gave an extra large tip to the Bell Boy numerous times
  • Gave her scarf to a cold stranger
  • Gave a potential job that could've landed her in fame to Coco
  • Helped fix the Taxi Driver's broken thing.
  • Bought Spike a hot dog.
  • Gave Suri pieces of her special, one of a kind fabric to use in her own ensembles, despite Suri being a competitor.

S04E10 - Rainbow Falls

Made outfits for the Ponyville Relay team free of charge. Not talking about quality here - she took the time and effort to make the outfits and expected nothing in return.

S04E13 - Simple Ways

She accepted the job of organizing the community event, even though her job keeps her extremely busy and working constantly.

S04E14 - Filli Vanilli

Constantly performed with the Ponytones in order to help Fluttershy enjoy herself singing.

S04E17 - Somepony to Watch Over Me

Even though she doesn't make an appearance, Applejack says "Rarity is on her way over to watch y'all while I'm gone" - hence, took time out of her day to watch Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo when she didn't have to.

S04E18 - Maud Pie

Offered to help Maud with fashion and make her an ensemble - we know that in the end Maud just wanted a dirty dishrag, but Rarity was ready to make a whole outfit for free.

S04E19 - For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

Puts a celebrity client's order to the side in order to help make Sweetie Belle's dresses look nice.

S04E21 - Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

Made replicas of old Wonderbolts costumes in an attempt to help RD study for her test - participated in the reenactment of the Wonderbolts history in order to help RD study.

S04E23 - Inspiration Manifestation

Made that douchebag Puppteer a puppet booth free of charge. An entire fricken' puppet booth, for nothing in return.

From Vocabulary.com:

Generosity is a quality that's a lot like unselfishness — someone showing generosity is happy to give to or share time, money, food, or whatever with others.

Generosity is a quality — like honesty and patience — that we all probably wish we had more of. When you show generosity, you might give away things or money or put others before yourself. But generosity is about more than cash and stuff. When you're forgiving and gentle to people, you show generosity of spirit. If you give others help or credit, that shows generosity. The world would certainly be a better place if more people showed generosity to others.

Hope that answers your question :D

Anyway, I voted for Rainbow, just because it's an element that they all can easily represent due to the fact they're all loyal to each other. She shows her element some :D

I've always had the assumption that Rarity is the one who shows her Element the less, doesn't mean she doesn't show it al all, though. ^^

Adorkable, I'm disappointed in you :(

1.) No need to re-paste my whole list I wrote out when it's in the same post, so just take a gander at the spoiled section above :D

2.) You don't just "assume" that she shows her element the least - because break down the word assume. It makes an *that* out of u and me. :derp:

Sorry, Adorkable, but I can't even fathom what would lead you to assume such a thing unless you're taking her like she's anything like the other divas in children's cartoons - which, she's shown numerous times that she's far from anything like that :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 8

Toss up between Rarity and Rainbow Dash but I'm leaning more towards Rainbow Dash since she really doesn't show loyalty unless it's an episode with a moral about loyalty. Plus all the times she was not loyal like trading away Fluttershy.

I'm sorry to hear that, Ghostie. It's just my opinion on the matter. :(

Your opinion is understandable, actually - a lot of people tend to overlook Rarity's feats of generosity because some of them aren't as up front as compared to, say, Pinkie representing Laughter or Twilight representing Magic :D 

You're also always entitled to an opinion :D It's one of the most beautiful things about life. Opinion =/= fact, unfortunately, and when fact can disprove opinion, than that's when something is amiss in the original hypothesis. I provided a list in my first post I quoted you in naming nearly everything generous she's done in the show, and that's canon. Fact. Actually happened. Notice the word "Nearly" - I came up with the list off of the top of my head, and it's actually very possible that I've left off a few feats of generosity she's performed. It's hard to say that she lives up to her element the least under those circumstances, unfortunately.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If you think about it, none of them really demonstrate their element that much at all (except maybe Twilight and Pinkie), other than in specific episodes focusing on it. How often do you see Rainbow Dash being extra loyal in an episode that doesn't focus on her? Or Rarity being extra generous in the same situation? And so on.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 2

Without hesitation, Rainbow Dash. I love her, but sometimes she just doesn't represent her element. Rainbow Falls had her wanting to switch teams, Trade Ya! had her trade her best friend for a book. Dragonshy, she wanted to defeat the dragon alone without her friends, Daring Don't caused her to ditch her friends. Etc.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely Rainbow Dash, she's my favorite and I love her, but there's times where she isn't loyal to her pals and well she's supposed to be the element of loyalty. I definitely think the others represent their element though. <3 Rainbow Dash