Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Trolls and Shopkins hotter than ponies?

ManaMinori

With the MLP movie coming out next year, I'm sure ponies will become more relevant again! I'm sure that, with the way trends usually work, Trolls will most likely lose relevance months afterwards (please, please, PLEASE don't become another Frozen!) and similar will definitely happen with Shopkins.

• Brohoof 2

Well the movie opened last month and has pulled in over a 100 Million, so yeah, I would say at the moment they are a big thing. It does not bother me since stuff comes and goes. MLP will get hot again as S7 gets underway and the movie gets the franchise re-energized.

Fun Fact: I always used to loathe Trolls and found them terrifying to look at.

• Brohoof 1

I think for me, the feeling is, who cares?  I love ponies.  I don't really care how popular they are at the moment or what's trending and what's not.  I enjoy them regardless.  All I care about is that there's enough active bronies to generate pony memes, art, and youtube videos, and give me people to talk to on the forums, and I'm sure that will be the case for a long, long time.

• Brohoof 2

Trolls are similar to Ponies in that they also speak to that nostalgic side of people. The arrival of FiM seemed to have that affect for parents as well (it did with me and my wife before I became a fan). I wouldn't be shocked if they were outselling MLP by a lot due to both the nostalgia factor and the fact that there is a strong feature connection.

Shopkins has been on a slow upward trend for a while, but I swear reading that sales peaked already.

• Brohoof 3

The Trolls movie only came out a couple of weeks ago so it makes sense that toys related to that would be selling like hotcakes right now. They are the current trend that has gotten kids excited but it's sure to die down eventually once the novelty has worn off. It's likely to make a comeback when the movie is released on DVD early next year. Shopkins, on the other hand, have been slowly gaining in popularity and are likely to continue with this trend for some time.

• Brohoof 1

Trolls just had a mediocre movie released. I saw it and can say there are few films that leave me feeling so apathetic, but perhaps kids enjoy that kind of film a lot more and regardless, it has been marketed quite well with merch. Poppy merch alone has clearly helped expand the market for trolls into the female demographic, but in general Trolls is huge right now. However, it's just one movie and once the hype dies down it's sure to fizzle out.

Shopkins on the other hand seems to have a lot more longevity in its appeal to young female humans. It's definitely the in thing right now among that group. I'm not sure if it has a show, but I've heard it does. Personally, it reminds me a tad too much about Sausage Party as well as a horrid early internet invention called Annoying Orange, though I imagine its premise is way more G rated and probably doesn't contain much in the way of nightmare fuel. I also doubt it's nearly as annoying as Annoying Orange. At least its art style looks more aesthetically pleasing. Regardless, it has certainly usurped ponies as the popular girl's toy, at least for the time being.

My job is a cashier at a Winners/Homesense, which is a mashup of two Canadian TJX chains, neither of which is a Toys R Us or even a Walmart, so my store's limited toy selection may not be truly indicative of what is available pony-wise. I mean, for the longest time the most current stock we had was Rainbow Power, followed by merch from the first Equestria Girls. I was surprised to see some Explore Equestria merch on our front line hangers more recently, so I guess we kind of got a little with the times in regards to pony merch. Shopkins have their own table in the front area of one side of the store though, so they're definitely bigger. Here's hoping the movie will generate more interest in pony stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Like ponies, Trolls is a franchise that survived the test of time, and with a movie out on theaters, it's natural kids will run to buy some of their favorite characters. Shopkins... I'm not sure, I've noticed some of these around, but I don;t know how popular are they :huh:. Still, it's easy to compete with ponies right now, as it's novelty has lowered a while back, but I'm pretty sure the pony movie will change that :orly:

• Brohoof 1

They just happen to be trending right now. I am confident that within a couple months they will fade from relevance. In fact, MLP will probably get big again around the time of the movie.

I was going that by thw movie premiers, MLP will be trending just as much, or more so, as Trolls and Shopkins are, right now

Pfft, Ponies are WAY more attractive then those things, seriously. Have you seen Rarity? :proud:

...Oh, wait, you meant in terms of popularity...Well, I haven't heard anything about Trolls lately, and I don't even know what a Shopkin is, so I'm not sure they're that popular, at least not with any adult fanbase. Maybe they are with the kids.

Edited by BasementGlimmer
  • Brohoof 1

At first I was a little concerned on what direction this topic was going to take based on the title alone.

But now that I know you were talking about popularity, I can say that I don't think they will be anymore popular than MLP at least in the long run.

• Brohoof 2

I don't even know what Shopkins is, and all I know is that Trolls is being largely promoted right now.

Really Expensive

Hanging out in the toy aisle, everyone was getting trolls and Shopkins, which are everywherw, and have a bigger presence. Are they hotter than MLP right now? How do pony fans feel about this?

BURN DOWN THE TROLLS AND SHOPKINS FACTORY

no but seriously SHOPKINS are a joke, its like a fruit

how are you meant to take fruit seriously?

I'm not sure what the hell Shopkins are, but - just like the MLP toy line - Trolls have been around since the eighties.  They'll reemerge every so often; though I don't know how I feel about this incarnation and its out-of-nowhere movie.  I've been around long enough to see MLP, Trolls, Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, He-Man, Transformers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ebb and flow in popularity and undergo various transformations.  Even frickin' Popples made a sort-of comeback!  Who remembers Popples?  No-damned-body, that's who.

I forget what the topic actually was.

• Brohoof 2

Don't know what the hell Shopkins are but Trolls have gotten a bit of a resurgence thanks to the recent movie(which has gotten surprisingly good reception so far), whether or not it can maintain that popularity and surpass MLP is another story

"Shopkins"?

IS THIS SOMEONE'S SICK PRANK?

These are dolls and toys and stickers of OBJECTS YOU BUY. What sick maniac decided to market THE CONCEPT OF CAPITALISM ITSELF?

Apparently a genius since they are expected to be one of the hot sellers this Christmas.

I don't get the appeal of them, but of course thousands of others don't get why anyone would give a crap about pony toys either.

"Shopkins"?

IS THIS SOMEONE'S SICK PRANK?

These are dolls and toys and stickers of OBJECTS YOU BUY. What sick maniac decided to market THE CONCEPT OF CAPITALISM ITSELF?

I fully agree with you, there

Trolls have been around since the eighties.

Even longer than that - they've been around since early '60s :) (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they've been reemerging every decade since the sixties... And that's a lot of nostalgia to cash in on! People in their 40s and 50s could be buying Trolls for their grandchildren now. Amazing. :D)

Edited by Merion
  • Brohoof 2

Even longer than that - they've been around since early '60s :) (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they've been reemerging every decade since the sixties... And that's a lot of nostalgia to cash in on! People in their 40s and 50s could be buying Trolls for their grandchildren now. Amazing. :D)

Ah, I forgot!  My mom would talk about them and how she (and I assume others) used to call them "Iggys."

• Brohoof 1

Shopkins have been around for a while now I think, a few years maybe? Some kids I babysit are obsessed with them, my little sister also used to love them. When I was a kid, I was terrified by trolls, probably 'cause their was this one kid in elementary school that carried them around everywhere, and shoved them in everyone's faces... I don't particularly like their new design either, but that's just me 

• Brohoof 1