Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are the Shadowbolts a real group?

cider float

I think it was from some Rainbow Dash online game as well as the fact that Crystal Prep's mascot is the Shadowbolts, are the Shadowbolts a real group? Since Nightmare Moon merely used illusions of them to try and trick Rainbow Dash one would think why are the Shadowbolts a real thing in the MLP human world? Especially when Luna is on Equestria High and Shadowbolts is on the rival school. 

Plus I find it weird that they would name their mascot Shadowbolts because shadow doesn't sound like the name a prestigious elite school would choose to represent themselves because shadow sounds like "second place" or "a mere shadow" as in sounds like loser talk that Crystal Prep wouldn't accept.

In any case if they're real they might become a rival group for Wonderbolts. I can imagine Lightning Dust being in that group...

Edited by cider float

I wish they were a real group in FIM (can’t tell about EG), but I can’t fit them in the history of Equestria. Nightmare Moon may have planned to create them after taking over Equestria, but she obviously didn’t have time for that. I doubt that Celestia would allow such a group to exist. On the other hand, she could just overlook forming of Shadowbolts… she does that sometimes.

Also, in the comics we find out that changelings know about them (they just could see RD’s Nightmare Night costume though).

I imagine Lightning Dust in Shadowbolts too. Maybe, she and Wind Rider should form (restore) this group. And then my dream about pegasi being badass villains will come true.

The only time we have ever seen them, or at least a representation of them was in 'Friendship is Magic Pt.2, however In 'Luna Eclipsed' Rainbow Dash's Nightmare Night costume was of a Shadowbolt.  This suggests that they may not be just something that was invented by Nightmare Moon purely to tempt RD as she presumably would want to dress as something that other ponies than just herself would recognise.  Of course that doesn't mean they actually exist in Equestria, but perhaps they are something in common knowledge made up to scare young ponies into behaving, "If you don't go to bed the Shadowbolts will get you!" sort of thing.

It's possible they are a real group of pegasi.. after all Nightmare Moon and the Changelings got the idea from someplace... possibly a very select small group of flyers banned or kicked from the Wonderbolts. At the moment there is no evidence they are in any way a real group, but it is possible there are some waving that banner in some parts of Equestria... it would be kind of interesting to see some sort of rivalry there, especially if Lightning Dust was involved.

They might be the Equestrian equivalent to 'The Men in Black'. So a modern mythological group, that may or may not exist.

They do exist in Equestria Girls as seen in Friendship Games, yet they were also referenced in the second Equestria Girls comic as an opposing team during a soccer match against the Canterlot Hight Wondercolts. As to whether or they exist in Equestria despite what Nightmare Moon did during the series premiere and Rainbow Dash's costume--she might have been influenced by what happened since she had to deal with it--they could be a secret society that wishes to usurp the Wonderbolts.