Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anybody feel like Cadance should of been the hero of the end of Season 6?

cider float

Yes, part of the bias is I don't like Starlight Glimmer, she's just a rehashed version of Twilight Sparkle with an edgy past that isn't even that big of a deal and didn't go to Ponyville.

Cadance's wedding was sabotaged by Chrysalis so there should be a bit of antagonism between them. Cadance also seems like a mirror version of Chrysalis. Chrysalis drains love from others as well as controlling those she drained from, Cadance is the Princess of Love and she also dabbles in some kind of "reconciliating" love magic. Chrysalis leads her own kingdom, Cadance is the princess of her own empire. They are somewhat of an antithesis of each other. This would also would of been a good time to expand Cadance's character and make her more likable. Cadance could have also developed a bit of distrust with Thorax in the beginning due to him being a changeling as they threatened her hubby and her wedding but slowly begin to like him, a good developing friendship bond grows between Thorax and Cadance. I would have even say throw Spike into that little band (I would of replaced Discord with Spike actually). Cadance would trust Spike and distrust Thorax would of been a nice blend of interaction going on. Cadance should of been the one to finally trust Thorax and figure he should try giving love instead of taking it at the end. There would of been a whole lot of glossing and talking about love between Cadance and Thorax before the finale of course that would reach the resolution that is the end of that chapter. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not even going to bother defending Starlight from the "Edgy Twilight clone" complaint, I've done it all before, not in the mood for Deja Vu.

Anyway, your idea for Cadance being the one to defeat Chrysalis is actually an interesting one, but I'm more than happy with the finale we got. The episode was all about the reformed villains and unexpected allies, and was part of the pay-off for their reformations. The ponies chose to reform and befriend Discord and Starlight, chose to befriend Thorax, and it's because Twilight gave Starlight another chance that she befriended Trixie. It was those characters time to shine.

Also, Chrysalis and Starlight are excellent mirrors for each other as well. Both are harsh rulers who rule their subjects with iron hooves, both make or keep their subjects in a state of "Equality", Starlight with the equal sign marks, and Chrysalis with them not evolving under her rule. Not to mention the main "Arc" of season 6 in general was Starlight and her growth, at least for the two-parters.

Chrysalis is likely to return later though, so your idea of Cadance being the hero to defeat her could still happen later. ;)

• Brohoof 3

Even if I am not really that big of a fan of Starlight, I feel like the finale managed to give her some form of character development/handled her character in a way that I was waiting for all season long.

Although it would be pretty cool to see Cadence face off against Chrysalis again.

• Brohoof 2

As much as I despise Starlight Shimmer, they clearly spent the whole season building up to that finale, for Starlight to have been suddenly usurped in the finale would have rendered her appearances throughout the season meaningless.

As for Cadance, suddenly and inexplicably giving her a finale despite her massive lack of development throughout the run of the cartoon would have been a very odd move indeed, she needs a lot more work done on her before she's worthy of a season finale.

That being said, it does make sense for her to carry a grudge against Chrysalis, she has after all been bested by the Changelings twice now, and although the very nature of the cartoon precludes her from desiring vengeance for herself it certainly carries the potential to make for an interesting episode in the future when (if) Chrysalis makes her return.  Chrysalis' grudge however is now clearly with Starlight Shimmer, and I would expect Starlight to be the central focus should Chrysalis make her return.

• Brohoof 1

That finale was important for her character arc, and as is seen by the ending, Starlight also makes a good foil for Chrysalis. Of course, I would be very happy with a Cadance episode, and it could involve Chrysalis, as the latter ain't done yet. I'm biased, but any development for Cadance would please me, and the idea of her and Starlight cooperating against Chrysalis is pretty great.

• Brohoof 2

Indeed, I feel it could have been good if Cadence and Starlight cooperated along side Thorax and Trixie. It could have not only have given Cadence the development she's desperately required for a fair deal of time with a grudge. It also could have kept the development that the season built up for Starlight as well. It would be interesting to see Starlight attempt to keep the peace between Cadence and some of the changeling characters, as Starlight was not only a commander in her past, but a peace keeper as well, she just went about keeping peace in a more unethical manner. Chrysalis is the same for her subjects, Cadence is somewhat similar with her abilities to spark/rekindle love. So yes, I could see how Cadence being a part of the finale would be beneficial and interesting in quite a few ways, though the idea of reformed villains against an older, still malicious villain is still just as interesting. And for the most part, I am satisfied with the finale we were presented with. Perhaps they'll dabble with a similar idea later, with Queen Chrysalis still roaming free.

• Brohoof 1

My name is Goat-kun and I’m also a Starlight hater.

The whole season would have been better if Cadence and Shining were the ones getting the story arc: love, family, changelings, babies, and all that. Besides, Cadence is indeed a more reasonable nemesis for Chrysalis since she’s an alicorn princess and her magic directly opposes that of the Queen, while Shining should be shown as something other than a femzy-approved neckbeard crybaby from time to time.

By now, this ship has probably not only sailed away but also sunk to the bottom. This show, or any other like it, is not driven by narrative. The narrative is driven by its effect. The rule has not been invoked for two seasons. It is time to wake our gods from their slumber. Praise Kek.

And Merry Christmas!

• Brohoof 3

Plus if they were to make it out for Starlight there was a crucial detail missing... where was Sunburst? Wasn't the whole reason she went evil was because Sunburst left? Shouldn't the writers have capitalized on this? 

Plus if they were to make it out for Starlight there was a crucial detail missing... where was Sunburst? Wasn't the whole reason she went evil was because Sunburst left? Shouldn't the writers have capitalized on this? 

Perhaps. Josh Haber could use some practice in the adventure genre and two-parters, but if it's any consolation for him, he did introduce some interesting alternate reality ideas in The Cutie Re-Mark, like Rainbow Dash serving Nightmare Moon.

As for this topic, maybe she'll return the favor to Starlight the next time Chrysalis shows up.

P.S. I still don't get this whole 'calling tragic characters edgy' thing.

Edited by heavens-champion

Cadance? Again? She has been the hero several times already. 

- She powered Shining Armor up with love in season 2 and was the actual hero

- She saved Twilight from certain death by the Tatzlwurm in season...i have forgotten.

- She powered up the stone after being thrown by her husband in season 3, yet strangely Spike gets all the praise, but whatever.

SHE ACTUALLY IS WHAT CELESTIA IS SUPPOSED TO BE! :=:

I even prefer to see Starlight Glimmer to be the hero once again. :diamondtiara:

Edited by Swifty
  • Brohoof 2

I feel like the Starlight Glimmer hate is overblown at this point, like our community is so damn negative and seems to hate everything new, be it wings, a castle, or a character.

Next thing you know, they're gonna start hating a whole new species introduced to the show... like a race of mischief makers introduced in an episode where one of them masquerades as Rainbow Dash and pulls pranks simply for the fun of it, and Rainbow Dash has to clear her name. If that happens, it must end with a race to see who the real Rainbow Dash is.

Funny thing is, Cadence has just about as much development as Starlight did at that point, probably less. That is why she wasn't the main hero. Starlight was clearly the sorta main character of season 6, so the finale pretty had to center around her in the end. Which, this was for the best. It did so much for her character without making her seem overpowered in any way. It was pretty friggin good and I don't think Cadence would have made it that good.

• Brohoof 1