Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you consider Starlight a main character?

Azureth

No, and yes.
To be in the "mane" cast, she would need her own elements, after all, the Mane 6 consists of the bearers of the 6 elements of harmony.

But considering how much screentime and important plots, i'd definitely say she's a main character of the show, like Spike, Luna, the CMC.

One things for sure, she's definitely much more than a mere background character.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see her as a character that is ever going to be a main character(in the mane 6 group), but who knows?

I'd like to say No, but.... There's still a possibility since they're pushing her to be more on the screen, apparently. 

• 3 weeks later...

No. I don't. I think she's been getting WAY too much focus in Season 6. But had she continued to be evil, she would have had greater potential as a main villain. Hopefully Season 7 will cut down on her focus.

Sadly, yes; She's gotten this season's premiers about her, the last season's premiers about her, and the last 2 finales about her too.
I HATE her prominence, but she's gotten MORE focus in two parters than the (non-twilight) mane six at this point!

On 3/27/2017 at 2:41 PM, The Nth Doctor said:

Starlight will be a main character once she does something actually noteworthy

So far, she's made one friend, enslaved her parole officers and tried to blow up Equestria

She's got a long ways to go

She also metamorphed an entire race.

Now that I see it, I could, if the writers wanted it that say, but certainly, they didn't. So now, no.

I'd rather have her wait until all the Mane Six get what they still need. So far, Rarity and Rainbow Dash already have.

She is not part of the mane 6 since she does not really interact with them like they do with each other. She is seperate like Spike and the CMC even if she has gotten more focus.

No way. Starlight Glimmer just didn't show up often enough last season to warrant being called a main character. She is more of a CMC kind of character who has a clearly defined arc and gets the occasional dedicated episode, but otherwise doesn't get much screen time.

Hopefully the end of Season 6 and the two Season 7 premiere episodes are a sign that the writers are making her more of a priority. Things moved way too fast for her last season.

She's a solid secondary who occasionally gets her own episode, like Spike or the CMC. I expect her to have more screen time, but until they start pairing her with AJ, Rarity, or Flutters ... I can't consider her a mane character equal to the Mane Six. 

On 4/17/2017 at 11:50 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

Sadly, yes; She's gotten this season's premiers about her, the last season's premiers about her, and the last 2 finales about her too.
I HATE her prominence, but she's gotten MORE focus in two parters than the (non-twilight) mane six at this point!

She also metamorphed an entire race.

The Season Seven Premier was about Twilight. Starlight was not the MC since she was central to the problem that the MC of the episode had to resolve. 

Trust me I would adore her being a Mane character since I absolutely adore the character now, but sadly that isn't the case. 

That said, the Director of the show just answered this with a 'not main character' so ... 

Nah, I adore her more as a student of a princess, just like Twilight was at some point. I mean.. in future I would consider her part of the mane six, but not the elements of harmony one. Maybe she'll create her own. ^_^