Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Disney Thread

Sparklefan1234

@Sparklefan1234

Wait. Since when did Disney Channel started airing Tangled episodes again. I thought they abruptly stopped.

In fact, the main con of Disney Channel for me is the inconsistent airing schedule for new episodes of their shows. Every time I set my DVR to record a Disney series, they air at a good length before suddenly stopping.  Then when they actually start showing new episodes, I end up missing a few and it just kills my engagement in them!

These are the recent shows that had suffered this fate in my eyes

DuckTales 2017

Tangled the series

Milo Murphy Law

I really wanted to watch all the shows from beginning to end like a good show should, but how can I with this ridiculous airing schedule.

Please, @Sparklefan1234. Tell me how you managed to view all the Tangled episodes without missing them! 

And I wish the higher-ups would get the obvious hint that if they put their finished TV series in DVD volumes by seasons instead of just a handful of episodes, we, the consumers would gladly pay for them!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ultrairongorilla said:

I am so excited for the Incredibles 2, and Wreck It Ralph 2 coming out this year.

Still need to watch wreck it ralph 1. :adorkable: I hear good things of it, but still lack the time. 

14 minutes ago, Hieroklicious said:

Still need to watch wreck it ralph 1. :adorkable: I hear good things of it, but still lack the time. 

Wreck it Ralph 1 is really really good, definitely check it out when you get a chance. I recommend going into it completely blind though.

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, not sure if this has been brought up before or not but if it has, I apologize. While the Disney brand shares some common elements like broad aesthetics, character types, and overall tone, they have rarely tried to bridge into crossovers and shared universe concepts. When they do, it's usually a one off thing such as the tv crossovers like the (surprisingly good) Aladdin and Hercules tv team up or something like House of Mouse, essentially a room full of cameos where they're interaction and co-existence isn't the point. The times when they DO try to make big, arch, cross pollination epics, they tend to be very hit or miss. There was the planned shared universe between Atlantis: the Lost Empire and Gargoyles that never even got off the ground. (Why God?! Why?! :'( )

Kingdom Hearts is good, don't get me wrong, but let's face it, you could swap out the Disney worlds and characters for stock video game locales and allies and it wouldn't affect the plot or cosmology at all. Which really irks me because it means these true icons of animated film and important, life-shaping stories end up taking the back seat to characters and events that will NOT outlast any of them.

Then there's Descendents, which starts with a killer premise and then proceeds to diminish it. None of the big name villains are recognizable as their original characters which makes the stigma of the main characters being their offspring come off as even more arbitrary than the tired "other side of the tracks" cliche the movie has about them. Not helped by the kids doing nothing particularly bad or challenging to the audience. I mean nothing as bad as Gideon from Zootopia clawing a child Judy's face. Or Kuzco's carelessness of tearing down a village for a summer home. I mean say what you will about Treasure Planet but at least Jim actually felt like a troubled, delinquent kid with an asshole Dad. In many ways it's sad because I can't quite tell if the creators didn't WANT to take the movie in the direction it needed to go or they weren't allowed to, because either case is tragic. The whole thing just feels so painfully clean, polished, and toothless.

The only good version of this premise I can think of thus far is Once Upon a Time. I'm not finished the series so I don't want to dwell on it for fear of spoilers.

Anyway, what I wanted to actually ask you guys here is, if Disney DID decide to do a cross-branding exercise of multiple characters and worlds of their animated canon, how would you want that to look? I'm not asking if they will do whatever you're thinking of, just what form would you prefer or imagine this to take? Would it be a movie? Animated or live action? What would be the story? Would it all be the same setting or would they be separate but magically accessible worlds? Would it be a shared sequel to the previous movies? 

What do you guys think?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

On 17-1-2018 at 7:48 AM, Steel Accord said:

Hey guys, not sure if this has been brought up before or not but if it has, I apologize. While the Disney brand shares some common elements like broad aesthetics, character types, and overall tone, they have rarely tried to bridge into crossovers and shared universe concepts. When they do, it's usually a one off thing such as the tv crossovers like the (surprisingly good) Aladdin and Hercules tv team up or something like House of Mouse, essentially a room full of cameos where they're interaction and co-existence isn't the point. The times when they DO try to make big, arch, cross pollination epics, they tend to be very hit or miss. There was the planned shared universe between Atlantis: the Lost Empire and Gargoyles that never even got off the ground. (Why God?! Why?! :'( )

Kingdom Hearts is good, don't get me wrong, but let's face it, you could swap out the Disney worlds and characters for stock video game locales and allies and it wouldn't affect the plot or cosmology at all. Which really irks me because it means these true icons of animated film and important, life-shaping stories end up taking the back seat to characters and events that will NOT outlast any of them.

Then there's Descendents, which starts with a killer premise and then proceeds to diminish it. None of the big name villains are recognizable as their original characters which makes the stigma of the main characters being their offspring come off as even more arbitrary than the tired "other side of the tracks" cliche the movie has about them. Not helped by the kids doing nothing particularly bad or challenging to the audience. I mean nothing as bad as Gideon from Zootopia clawing a child Judy's face. Or Kuzco's carelessness of tearing down a village for a summer home. I mean say what you will about Treasure Planet but at least Jim actually felt like a troubled, delinquent kid with an asshole Dad. In many ways it's sad because I can't quite tell if the creators didn't WANT to take the movie in the direction it needed to go or they weren't allowed to, because either case is tragic. The whole thing just feels so painfully clean, polished, and toothless.

The only good version of this premise I can think of thus far is Once Upon a Time. I'm not finished the series so I don't want to dwell on it for fear of spoilers.

Anyway, what I wanted to actually ask you guys here is, if Disney DID decide to do a cross-branding exercise of multiple characters and worlds of their animated canon, how would you want that to look? I'm not asking if they will do whatever you're thinking of, just what form would you prefer or imagine this to take? Would it be a movie? Animated or live action? What would be the story? Would it all be the same setting or would they be separate but magically accessible worlds? Would it be a shared sequel to the previous movies? 

What do you guys think?

I would be very pleased to see a crossover between Tangled and Frozen and between The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Belle, and the beast. :)

Edited by Hieroklicious

2 hours ago, Hieroklicious said:

I would be very pleased to see a crossover between Tangled and Frozen and between The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Belle, and the beast. :)

So like what? A proposed shared sequel between the two films?

9 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

I really loved Coco from Pixar! I wish it was out on home media already!

A fantastic movie, yes. Good plot twist and deep moments. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Why is that movie called "Coco"?

Originally, The movie was going to be called "Day of the Dead" since that's what the film is centered around, but the Mexicans were outraged because then there would be a copyright on their holiday. Thankfully, they changed the title early on to one of the important characters' name. It was released in Mexico shortly before Day of the Dead last year, and the Mexicans actually loved all the hard work put into it!

Here's a quote from TV Tropes' "Mexicans Love Speedy Gonzales" page on Coco

Mexico and Coco. While at first Disney received an Internet Backlash when they announced they were planning to copyright the title "Día de los Muertos", they did an Author's Saving Throw by having Pixar hire Mexican cartoonist Lalo Alcaraz, one of the most vocal opponents to the copyright, to be one of the consultants. As a result, the movie is extremely loyal to Mexican culture and after its debut in October 30 (in time for November 2nd, Día de los Muertos), the movie has been a huge success, quickly becoming #1 on its opening week and a 120% increase in the box office during the 2nd week thanks to excellent word-of-mouth. By November 15 the movie became box office's number one in Mexican history.

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Why is that movie called "Coco"?

I keep thinking it's about The Three Caballeros for some reason.

It’s the name of one of the main character’s old relatives. You’ll see the significance of her in the latter half of the movie.

• Brohoof 1