Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cartoon Brew compares MLP Movie to the Emoji Movie

Merion

A Cartoon Brew author, Amid Amidi writes:

"What is this newfound obsession with making films based on existing I.P. (intellectual property) that don’t have any stories, characters, or mythologies? It used to be that studios would buy stories and characters that already existed in books and comics and videogames, but increasingly, studios look to develop non-narrative I.P. — brands, toys, and other vague concepts that have nothing else attached to them."

And then he mentions the MLP Movie as an example of such movie based on a non-narrative I.P. (putting it next to the Emoji Movie and the upcoming Playmobil Movie).

Read the full article here: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/hollywood-cant-stop-making-films-lego-emojis-angry-birds-152845.html

So, what do you think? Would you agree that MLP is a "vague concept that has nothing else attached to it"?

• Brohoof 1

Sounds like the author didn't do enough of their homework if MLP got lumped together with other IPs fitting the the non-narrative IP description. 

Then again, mind as well let the movie do the talking. There's probably a chance some of the background mythology of the show will be mentioned in passing. Also, even if a story already existed in a different form of media, it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing automatically if it wasn't handled properly. Either that or moviegoers might be sick of seeing the same story being used over and over again that they want to see something different for a change. 

Edited by EQ_Theta
  • Brohoof 3

I mean i kinda get what he says, but he also said they are just doing this for profit alone. But here is the big difference behind the Emoji Movie and the upcoming Mlp one, Fans actually asked for the Mlp Movie ( or at least sparked interest, after the successful series ), but pretty much no one asked for the Emoji Movie. ( just judging by the high amount of dislikes the trailer got and all the negative critic. )

And also My Little Pony has multiple Storys, multiple Adaptations and even Books and Comics. What does he mean with, it has no narrative? I thought most of the Mlp Toys are based on the different Shows and nowadays the Toys are pretty much just a tie in for the Series, so they are based on a narrative or not? At least, there is much more Story in Mlp than there was in Emojis. Because as far as i know, there were none before this Movie.

• Brohoof 3

I've stopped relying on Cartoon Brew ages ago. I've long realized that Amid Amidi isn't exactly the best journalist. There are other contributors, but most of the articles are by him. I still follow them on Twitter, but it's mainly to keep an eye on them at this point.

I can sorta see what he means here, but at the same time, I don't think the MLP movie will be quite what he described if the show is any indication.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 4

No, I disagree heavily. The mlp movie is part of a story that is told. Sure, it introduces toys and other merchendize, but the emoji movie has no other part where it can build on like the mlp movie. Two different things I think. 

• Brohoof 2

Hey, isn't that the same guy who wrote that infamous article that spawned us bronies back in 2010 :huh: ? Well, for the most part, I get his points, after all, we are seeing an overabundance of uncreativity in cinemas, working on previously existing IPs and dropping the quality, be it sequels or trendy IPs like the Emoji. But it's very baffling that he's putting the pony movie on the list, and while it it's true that it's mainly a toy IP, it's tied-in with a successful TV show that's in the middle of a seventh season, and an eight coming. I would agree in his pony example if we where still in G3 where his IP with no story would be factual, but right now, it's is as true as crime being good 

• Brohoof 4

I mean the MLP movie is based on a long running cartoon that is based on a toyline that has been going on since the 80's, so it kinda is a part of big studios creating movies based on existing IPs over creating original movies.

Ugh, without even watching, I don't understand people judging the book by its cover. The cover means trailers of the MLP movie by the way. Without watching at least put your pride and prejudices away for a little time and have a little patience until you see the move. After that, criticize in what way you like.

That's right guys. MLP TOTALLY hasn't had any stories, characters or mythologies in ANY generation! It definitely didn't have a movie in the 80s along with it's own cartoon with its own characrers and adventures, and they're definitely isn't an MLP cartoon out woth it's own lore and mythology. I know because YouTube comments told me.

Sarcasm aside, the author probably knows jack all about MLP besides some toy commercial from last decade.

• Brohoof 1

So in short:
Person who knows nothing about MLP apart from it "being that girls show from the 80s" writes an article in which it lumps MLP in with other IP movies like emoji or the recent trolls movie. /yawn.

This is kind of why I fear for the reception of the upcoming mlp movie; the majority of people out there won't know it as anything more than a movie based on the 80s MLP brand and will prejudge it based on pop culture knowledge of what the MLP brand is. The current MLP show is one with alot of lore and characters driving it, rather than the concept of "cute ponies" driving it, which is what people will be expecting based on their knowledge of MLP.

I'm pretty sure one point of the human imagination is to attach stories, characters, and mythologies to vague ideas. I haven't seen The Emoji Movie, but I don't think it's impossible to come up with something for even something like that.

I mean, isn't that how comic book superheroes started out? They seemed to be just a regular piece of entertainment about heroic feats in the 30s, and now we have at least two major fictional universes.

• Brohoof 1

30 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

This is kind of why I fear for the reception of the upcoming mlp movie; the majority of people out there won't know it as anything more than a movie based on the 80s MLP brand and will prejudge it based on pop culture knowledge of what the MLP brand is. The current MLP show is one with alot of lore and characters driving it, rather than the concept of "cute ponies" driving it, which is what people will be expecting based on their knowledge of MLP.

I wouldn't be so afraid for the reception. Just look at the Emoji Movie, everyone and everywhere saying that the movie sucks and wannot, ALL THE TIME.... is still doung rather well in the box office :dry: . The ponies only need more attention from the general public and time should do it's trick

30 minutes ago, Number62 said:

I'm pretty sure one point of the human imagination is to attach stories, characters, and mythologies to vague ideas. I haven't seen The Emoji Movie, but I don't think it's impossible to come up with something for even something like that.

I mean, isn't that how comic book superheroes started out? They seemed to be just a regular piece of entertainment about heroic feats in the 30s, and now we have at least two major fictional universes.

I'm pretty sure a decent story can be made surrounding the emojis, problem with the movie, or ONE of them, is it's unimaginative story, and badly executed. Anything you can find in the movie, it's likely some other movie did it better 

Well cant this be said about any Mavel, Star Wars, or pretty much anything else that Disney releases. That they are just some sort of cash crab to sell toys to children. I mean one of the best new franchises lately was the Lego movie, which was an idea literally based off toys, And it had one of the best plots and ideas for a children's movie. When I first hear that they were doing that I was like WHaaaa?, but then I actually watched the movie and it was one of the best movies I had seen for kids in years,

And please tell me one person out there who actually thought that the Emojii Move was going to be in any way good like Wreck it Ralph or going even further back Who Framed Rodger Rabbit in the sense of trying to mash up different ideas into a cohesive plot. I mean when even Patrick Stuart cant save the movie, you know there is an issue with the odea.

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I wouldn't be so afraid for the reception. Just look at the Emoji Movie, everyone and everywhere saying that the movie sucks and wannot, ALL THE TIME.... is still doung rather well in the box office :dry: . The ponies only need more attention from the general public and time should do it's trick

I'm pretty sure a decent story can be made surrounding the emojis, problem with the movie, or ONE of them, is it's unimaginative story, and badly executed. Anything you can find in the movie, it's likely some other movie did it better 

That's why I think the execution is more important than the idea. A good idea can end up looking bad, and a bad idea can end up looking good.

(edited)
On 17.08.2017 at 3:54 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Hey, isn't that the same guy who wrote that infamous article that spawned us bronies back in 2010 :huh: ?

The exact same guy XD

Amidi is an animation snob, honestly. Judging by the stuff he writes, watching all the artsy independent films has probably caused him to disappear up his own butthole. Seems like he really despises all things commercial, so no wonder he doesn't know jack shit about MLP.

And speaking of the MLP movie... It's not based ona vague idea/non-narrative IP any more. This particular movie is based on a long-running TV series (I mean, 150+ episodes and nearly 7 years on tv) and it's the movie that spawns a brand new toy line, not the other way around, right? RIGHT?!

Edited by Merion
  • Brohoof 3

38 minutes ago, Celli said:

Yup!

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/the-end-of-the-creator-driven-era-29614.html

I think it's best to ignore this article, as Amid knows nothing of what he is talking about.

7 years later, and this guy is still at it I see.... someone shows this weirdo Lesson Zero, or Twilight's Kingdom, or Amending Fences, or The Perfect Pear please...

• Brohoof 4

I will say though, to be fair: the brony fandom has shrunk MASSIVELY from what it once was; it's barely a fraction of what it was 3 years ago. So he's kind of safe criticizing the show now, its no longer a pop culture phenomenon that was trendy and had lots of people interested in it like it was years ago.

i may be a little late. but here's my two cents. I disagree mlp is full of story's characters   and lore and nothing like Emoji Movie. where that's based off Emoji's that

have no story just a icon on texts, where mlp goes back to the 80s like the care bears, but hey that's just my two cents.

6 hours ago, Sly said:

7 years later, and this guy is still at it I see.... someone shows this weirdo Lesson Zero, or Twilight's Kingdom, or Amending Fences, or The Perfect Pear please...

Made somewhat sense his first article, as there was an air of uncertainly regarding the brand's, and by extend, the show's fate. But putting the show in the mix of the likes of Emoji movie at this point, seven years later which are a testament of it's success? Sorry m8, but check your facts first 

jiFfM.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Here`s is what I said before and I will say it again, people who say that the MLP movie will flop just need to look at the 63 million dollars that the literal crap-fest Emoji movie brought in. I would be surprised if the MLP movie does not bring in at least that much during its run in the theaters,

17 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Good thing I don't listen to reviews and only go if I really wanted to see it in theaters.

I haven't listed to no mane critics ever since I read that a reviewer though the Lion King was Fascist, Racist, and a treat to Democracy back when that first came out. 

• Brohoof 2

45 minutes ago, nr2038 said:

Here`s is what I said before and I will say it again, people who say that the MLP movie will flop just need to look at the 63 million dollars that the literal crap-fest Emoji movie brought in. I would be surprised if the MLP movie does not bring in at least that much during its run in the theaters,

I haven't listed to no mane critics ever since I read that a reviewer though the Lion King was Fascist, Racist, and a treat to Democracy back when that first came out. 

One thing the Emojis had going for them is that it's a bout a familiar, trendy, and now daily part of our lives, and not many care of it's quality due to it, and the visuals. Ponies have visual, but being a constant part of the daily life of most? That's a disadvantage it has in comparison, but I still think it can be a success if advertised, and word by word spreads, not to mention the closest it'll have for competition would be NinjaGo, which will be in cinemas two weeks by the times ponies premiere 

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

One thing the Emojis had going for them is that it's a bout a familiar, trendy, and now daily part of our lives, and not many care of it's quality due to it, and the visuals. Ponies have visual, but being a constant part of the daily life of most? That's a disadvantage it has in comparison, but I still think it can be a success if advertised, and word by word spreads, not to mention the closest it'll have for competition would be NinjaGo, which will be in cinemas two weeks by the times ponies premiere 

I feel that this was one of the movies made so that parents can have something to quiet their kids for a short time. So they did not have to focus on the quality. Though I have to admit after seeing the first trailer for that movie I laughed a couple of time and was curious. But after hearing the word of mouth, i want to avoid that like a hand grenade dipped in the plague