Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should fans of the show be pressured into supporting the movie?

Music Chart Fan

As I've been reading posts and topics about the movie over the past few days on several MLP sites (not just MLP Forums), I've encountered a few people employing what I believe are questionable pressure tactics and arguments to others who have said that they don't plan on seeing the movie in theaters. In this topic, I want to go through some of these tactics and arguments and ask whether they should be considered appropriate. (And to state upfront, I have pre-ordered a ticket to see the movie at the theater myself, so this is not a matter of my trying to justify my not seeing the movie.)

First, I've seen people in European countries and elsewhere who don't want to go pay to see the movie at a theater because they've said that the movie isn't showing anywhere nearby, or is only showing locally in an inferior dubbed version. And I've seen those people told either (1) to go pay and see the dubbed version anyway, even if they don't want to; or (2) to go to the website of some random U.S. movie theater and pay for tickets that they can't and won't use. The latter case in particular seems a bit ridiculous. Is this really a common thing to expect other people to do? How many other cases have there been where fans of a franchise with a movie coming out are pressured to buy movie tickets to random theaters in other countries that they know they'll never use? To give an analogy, if someone is a fan of an amusement park like Cedar Point, but he's not able or willing to travel there and ride the rides in a particular season, should that person then feel obligated to "support the park" (or amusement parks in general) by buying tickets to the park that he won't use? I would see that as fanaticism gone too far, that one shouldn't feel pressured to do something like that.

I've also seen people who have seen the trailers, promotions, etc. for the movie, and who have said that they don't believe that the movie interests them enough or looks worthwhile enough to go pay to see in theaters. And again, I've seen such posters told to buy tickets for the movie anyway, and just not go if they really don't want to sit through it. But why should people pay for tickets to a movie that they've determined isn't worthwhile to them, or isn't interesting to them? Should "supporting the franchise" require essentially wasting money to financially support a movie (or at least a version of the movie, as with the dubbed versions) that one doesn't actually support?

Finally, it seems many people believe that the continued production of future seasons of the show hinges on the success of the movie, and I've seen some of them therefore lash out at others who have said that they don't plan on going to see the movie in theaters. Those others are told that they're selfishly preventing the continuation of the show that other fans want (with sometimes seemingly overzealous fervor), and that they need to get over their self-centeredness and just pay for the movie already so that everyone can get "more poni". They're told that they will be blamed if the show is cut short (by some arbitrary definition) in the future, and their inaction will not be forgotten.

But I think it's unlikely that such a decision could really be traced back to a relative few adult fans choosing not to see the theatrical release. And besides, should it really be that big of a deal if the show ends before some of the fans want it to end? Does that justify guilt-tripping, shaming, and ostracizing other fans of the show into financially supporting a movie that they otherwise wouldn't or couldn't feasibly support? Where does this mindset lead? If people believe that criticism of the show will demoralize fans or the show creators, leading to the show ending earlier than otherwise, then will people expressing criticism be silenced for the sake of the all-important goal of obtaining as many episodes as possible?

In summary, is it appropriate for fans of the show be pressured to financially support the movie by any possible means, including buying tickets that they'll never use? Should people's personal interest in the movie or feasibility of supporting it be subordinated to the goal of "supporting the franchise"? Can people still be fans of the show in good standing while declining to support the movie? Should people who don't go out and see the movie in theaters (or who don't pay for a ticket that they'll never use) be held at fault if, later on, the show doesn't continue for the number of seasons that other people would like?

Thanks for reading.

• Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, Music Chart Fan said:

As I've been reading posts and topics about the movie over the past few days on several MLP sites (not just MLP Forums), I've encountered a few people employing what I believe are questionable pressure tactics and arguments to others who have said that they don't plan on seeing the movie in theaters. In this topic, I want to go through some of these tactics and arguments and ask whether they should be considered appropriate. (And to state upfront, I have pre-ordered a ticket to see the movie at the theater myself, so this is not a matter of my trying to justify my not seeing the movie.)

First, I've seen people in European countries and elsewhere who don't want to go pay to see the movie at a theater because they've said that the movie isn't showing anywhere nearby, or is only showing locally in an inferior dubbed version. And I've seen those people told either (1) to go pay and see the dubbed version anyway, even if they don't want to; or (2) to go to the website of some random U.S. movie theater and pay for tickets that they can't and won't use. The latter case in particular seems a bit ridiculous. Is this really a common thing to expect other people to do? How many other cases have there been where fans of a franchise with a movie coming out are pressured to buy movie tickets to random theaters in other countries that they know they'll never use? To give an analogy, if someone is a fan of an amusement park like Cedar Point, but he's not able or willing to travel there and ride the rides in a particular season, should that person then feel obligated to "support the park" (or amusement parks in general) by buying tickets to the park that he won't use? I would see that as fanaticism gone too far, that one shouldn't feel pressured to do something like that.

I've also seen people who have seen the trailers, promotions, etc. for the movie, and who have said that they don't believe that the movie interests them enough or looks worthwhile enough to go pay to see in theaters. And again, I've seen such posters told to buy tickets for the movie anyway, and just not go if they really don't want to sit through it. But why should people pay for tickets to a movie that they've determined isn't worthwhile to them, or isn't interesting to them? Should "supporting the franchise" require essentially wasting money to financially support a movie (or at least a version of the movie, as with the dubbed versions) that one doesn't actually support?

Finally, it seems many people believe that the continued production of future seasons of the show hinges on the success of the movie, and I've seen some of them therefore lash out at others who have said that they don't plan on going to see the movie in theaters. Those others are told that they're selfishly preventing the continuation of the show that other fans want (with sometimes seemingly overzealous fervor), and that they need to get over their self-centeredness and just pay for the movie already so that everyone can get "more poni". They're told that they will be blamed if the show is cut short (by some arbitrary definition) in the future, and their inaction will not be forgotten.

But I think it's unlikely that such a decision could really be traced back to a relative few adult fans choosing not to see the theatrical release. And besides, should it really be that big of a deal if the show ends before some of the fans want it to end? Does that justify guilt-tripping, shaming, and ostracizing other fans of the show into financially supporting a movie that they otherwise wouldn't or couldn't feasibly support? Where does this mindset lead? If people believe that criticism of the show will demoralize fans or the show creators, leading to the show ending earlier than otherwise, then will people expressing criticism be silenced for the sake of the all-important goal of obtaining as many episodes as possible?

In summary, is it appropriate for fans of the show be pressured to financially support the movie by any possible means, including buying tickets that they'll never use? Should people's personal interest in the movie or feasibility of supporting it be subordinated to the goal of "supporting the franchise"? Can people still be fans of the show in good standing while declining to support the movie? Should people who don't go out and see the movie in theaters (or who don't pay for a ticket that they'll never use) be held at fault if, later on, the show doesn't continue for the number of seasons that other people would like?

Thanks for reading.

If someone is is planning on watching the movie illegally and claims to love the show they should have the decency of buying a movie ticket.

• Brohoof 10

Fans should not be pressured to see the film absent several other factors. They should be encouraged to see it if they are embarrassed to go. These are fans that want go to the film. In general I'll say no. 

Now, if the question is modified to, "Should fans be pressured to financially support the film instead or on top of illegally watching it", fuck yes. I'm not budging one micrometer on that point. If I truly gave my opinion of those that download illegal when the opportunity presents themselves otherwise, and they do not support the film, I would probably be banned. Thank God for self control. 

I'll silently judge the hell out of you as I read the comments. :orly:

13 minutes ago, Music Chart Fan said:

Those others are told that they're selfishly preventing the continuation of the show that other fans want (

It just comes down to theft. Pretty cut and dry. 

13 minutes ago, Music Chart Fan said:

To give an analogy, if someone is a fan of an amusement park like Cedar Point, but he's not able or willing to travel there and ride the rides in a particular season, should that person then feel obligated to "support the park

I was unaware one could experience a Theme Park from the the comfort of their home without buying an admission ticket. You realize that's a bad analogy, right?

• Brohoof 7

I can't force anyone to do anything. I just recommend people to support the offical release if possible. You don't even need to buy a movie ticket to support it. You could wait for the DVD or Netflix release and that would still be giving them a paycheck. 

Foregin countries is a bit harder. I don't know much about how foregin releases go if you don't want to watch an inferior dub. Do DVDs in places like Europe have language options? I know Netflix does. Again, I'm too Murican to know this :P 

• Brohoof 3

If they don't want to go to the theater and see it under any circumstance, they have every right not to. Don't pressure; encourage instead.

But if they have a choice between watching a bootlegged film (which takes away revenue) and watching the film in theaters, then buy a ticket and go see it! I don't care if the dubbing is awful. The profit determines the overall success of the film. The more people see it in theaters, the higher the revenue.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

.Do DVDs in places like Europe have language options? I know Netflix does. Again, I'm too Murican to know this :P 

I'm quite sure that yes. For example in my country you can always  choose English version or your native language version with subtitles or not.

• Brohoof 2

No, people who just don't want to see the movie shouldn't be pressured into seeing it, that's silly. If they just have no desire or interest in the movie, then they just don't, and pressuring them into seeing a film they don't feel like seeing is kind of ridiculous. Now, as for people who do want to see the film, but would rather do so through certain "Free" methods rather than going to the actual theater, that's a bit of a different issue in my book.

I think if you are interested in the movie and want to see it, it's definitely a good thing to at least try and support the movie. I don't actually have a problem with using the online leaks as it'd make me a hypocrite, since I watched it myself, but I also still plan to see it in theater's if I get the chance, and also plan on buying the movie on DVD down the road. I watched it because recent money problems made me question if I'd get to see it in theater's. But I'll support it in some way as soon as I get the chance. Even if there's no theater nearby, or none playing it in the language you want, you could still buy a ticket and then watch the leak anyway. Which is something I hadn't even thought of until I saw it said recently, and maybe sounds a little silly to buy a ticket you don't mean to use, but it's still a show of support.

Basically, just try and support the movie in some form if you intend to see it, even if you end up using the leaks for some reason or another, buy a ticket or pick up the DVD later or something. But ff you just don't want to see it at all, don't see it just because a bunch of other people are pressuring you into it, if you're not interested that's fine.

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 3

If they decide to not support the movie by watching leaks and not even buy a ticket or DVD... i can understand if the movie isnt release in your country but if you are American or Britist or whoever live in the area that you can go buy a ticket and watch the movie but somehow decide not to and watching leaks? ................................................. Yeah, i will stop there.

Fortunately, The movie will be released in my country (Vietnam) on 20 Oct so i will buy the ticket and watch it with my friends. Please no dub, please no dub, please give me substitles and leave original voices alone.

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I was unaware one could experience a Theme Park from the the comfort of their home without buying an admission ticket. You realize that's a bad analogy, right?

The analogy is to people who might go to see the movie at a theater, but for whom that isn't feasible, because no theaters nearby are showing it, they have other more important obligations, etc. This set of people is comparable to a person who likes an amusement park, but for whom going to it isn't feasible, for similar reasons.

So, for this set of people, if they can't feasibly see the movie at a theater, are they expected to pay for tickets which they can't use at some random theater, even one in another country? That's what I find it strange to expect, just as I would find it strange to expect a fan of an amusement park to buy tickets to the park that he can't use.

If someone has access or capability to purchase tickets and they still plan on watching the leak, then it is my belief they should pony up some money. It is the right thing to do in my opinion. This is my standard view on watching leaked movies period, not just for this movie.

• Brohoof 3

15 minutes ago, Music Chart Fan said:

The analogy is to people who might go to see the movie at a theater, but for whom that isn't feasible, because no theaters nearby are showing it, they have other more important obligations, etc. This set of people is comparable to a person who likes an amusement park, but for whom going to it isn't feasible, for similar reasons.

So, for this set of people, if they can't feasibly see the movie at a theater, are they expected to pay for tickets which they can't use at some random theater, even one in another country? That's what I find it strange to expect, just as I would find it strange to expect a fan of an amusement park to buy tickets to the park that he can't use.

You specifically mentioned that you have seen people state that they another person should buy a ticket even if they are not seeing. I have a large enough footprint in this community to know that the only time I've seen that mentioned is in the context of someone seeing or wanting to see a leak. That was the context used here on MLPF, on EqD, and on the EqD Discord. That is the most popular hypothetical and one that is an actual reality. 

I have yet to stumble onto a single person saying that another should buy a ticket and not see the film or the leak. Obviously I agree with that being silly. You shouldn't be expected to donate to Hasbro and Lionsgate like they are a charity. But if you do download or stream the leak, and don't find a way to make the company whole, don't expect me to have one shred of sympathy as some in the community shame their ass. They deserve every bit of scorn they receive.

Should fans encourage others fans to see the movie? Sure. I don't see a problem with that. If someone decides that they don't want to see it because <insert any reason> I'm not going to judge them, but I'll be dipped in shit if I am not going to recommend that another fan see it just because someone who is reaching for an illusionary moral high ground suggests that type of recommendation is pressure. 

I read and responded to your quote earlier about recommending people see or support the film. You had my motivation wrong then too. 

• Brohoof 2

If you don't want to, you don't have to.

I specifically am waiting until it's out on VoD services like Amazon or Google Play, mainly because I just don't like the thought of people being weirded out by me being in a theater for a movie like that. I know it's dark and all, but you can still see the person kinda during the trailers. However, I don't think it's right to watch a leaked copy. It's like the whole Internet piracy debate: it's essentially stealing. I mean sure, a lot of people do it, but it's still highly illegal. The reasoning of "it's leaked so I'm not going to pay for it" in my opinion, is not supporting the creator's work, since you are NOT paying for it.

But, if you don't want to see the movie, don't watch it. It's whatever you want to do.

• Brohoof 1

Attempting to pressure people into supporting something is the surest way to turn people away from that thing.  That's getting close to the sort of awful behaviour we've seen in the past from things like the Steven Universe fandom.  Trying to make people feel bad for the way they express or support the subject of a fandom is only going to make them resent, leave and eventually hate that fandom.

Should people buy tickets to the film as opposed to pirating it?  Absolutely yes, and I would certainly encourage everyone to do so, but putting the thumbscrews onto those people will accomplish nothing.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

You should never feel pressured to do anything YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO. It is your choice whether to see the film or not, and you honestly don't even have to have a reason. However, if you are a fan of the show, and intend to see it, I do strongly feel you should either look into doing it legally or at the absolute least looking into somehow balancing the scales as it were. I get people hate bad dubs, or may live away from a place close by that plays it or may be terrified they will be laughed at and called names and tarred and feathered and hauled off to some special jail where they keep weirdos or something.

But my answer to this... all of this... and if this offends you or anyone else.. oh well.... but... tough. There are lots of things I want to do, see and have... and in no way am I entitled to any of it just because I want. I have to work for it, make the time or be patient and that's that. I could take the low road and wait until no one is looking or tell myself no one will ever know... but I would know... and I have more respect for myself than that. If others don't, my answer is the same.

You can make any excuse you want on why someone cannot see the film, and it can be countered in some way by doing the right thing and then putting your mind to it and making it happen.

No money? = Save up. You have more than a day. Mow a lawn or two.

No theater close by? = Talk to family about a road trip, if you are old enough to do so, get some friends and make an adventure out of going. Or, just suck it up and order the DVD or catch it on Netflix later.

Bad dubs = Really? People watch dubbed films all the time in anime and laugh about the cheesy dialogue, and then later catch the undubbed version and nod approvingly. 

Humiliated? = Get over it. No one is going to get you. if it is that bad, and you truly are fearful of being harmed or bothered go at a later date, go with friends, family... something.

If you don't want to see it, cool, knock yourself out. But don't steal it, and then start pulling excuses out of a giant excuse bag on why you HAD to do it and expect everyone in the same boat who figured out a way to go see it to agree with you.

If someone is pressuring someone else to see the film when they don't really want to, by all means speak up, call them out on it, it is BS to try to bully someone to go see a movie you are interested in. But if they just want to steal it or pirate it and then justify it to those of us who are finding ways to do it the right way, or come wave it around like some great accomplishment (You payed money for this thing you enjoy? Fuck that! I stole it lulz! MLP Fan 4 life bro!) then GTFO. If you are a fan and want to see the film, I do think you should support the film and those who made it, and then give your honest opinion on how you felt about it... but if not... then you have no respect I feel for the fandom, the creators or the show itself, and honestly I am not required to extend any towards you.

If you are a fan and "want" to see the film, by default you should be hoping to enjoy it and then want to see it succeed. Whether or not it leads to more seasons is irrelevant and anyone pressuring anyone in regards to that should get a nice reality check, however it could lead to another film you and others might enjoy. That is the whole point of anything in any media... "I liked this... I will support it because I want more of it" or "Wow that was awful, I am not supporting anymore of it because I did not like it". If you don't like something or don't want more of something, that is great... stop watching it and supporting it and go do and support things you do enjoy and let everyone else do the same.

As far as recommendations somehow being a type of pressure, then never again do I want to see any recommendations on any types of films, music, games, books or whatever... nor furthermore any types of reviews whatsoever neither good or bad. Because ALL of them then translate into some type of pressure apparently. 

• Brohoof 8

You should financially support rather than watch through pirated means if available. Wait for the DVD if you want the English dubs.

You love the show? Think of the actors putting their hard work in: Tara, Andrea, Ashleigh, Tabitha, Cathy and the rest. theyre people trying to scratch out a living and a large part of that is royalties. Other than Tara,  MLP is probably a huge part of their income and the royalty from movies can be a large part of their livelihood for years to come. they may not have this amount of financial success again. Supporting the film financially not only ensures success of the franchise but also benefits those who make it their living to work so hard to entertain you.

• Brohoof 8

9 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

You should never feel pressured to do anything YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO. It is your choice whether to see the film or not, and you honestly don't even have to have a reason. However, if you are a fan of the show, and intend to see it, I do strongly feel you should either look into doing it legally or at the absolute least looking into somehow balancing the scales as it were. I get people hate bad dubs, or may live away from a place close by that plays it or may be terrified they will be laughed at and called names and tarred and feathered and hauled off to some special jail where they keep weirdos or something.

But my answer to this... all of this... and if this offends you or anyone else.. oh well.... but... tough. There are lots of things I want to do, see and have... and in no way am I entitled to any of it just because I want. I have to work for it, make the time or be patient and that's that. I could take the low road and wait until no one is looking or tell myself no one will ever know... but I would know... and I have more respect for myself than that. If others don't, my answer is the same.

You can make any excuse you want on why someone cannot see the film, and it can be countered in some way by doing the right thing and then putting your mind to it and making it happen.

No money? = Save up. You have more than a day. Mow a lawn or two.

No theater close by? = Talk to family about a road trip, if you are old enough to do so, get some friends and make an adventure out of going. Or, just suck it up and order the DVD or catch it on Netflix later.

Bad dubs = Really? People watch dubbed films all the time in anime and laugh about the cheesy dialogue, and then later catch the undubbed version and nod approvingly. 

Humiliated? = Get over it. No one is going to get you. if it is that bad, and you truly are fearful of being harmed or bothered go at a later date, go with friends, family... something.

If you don't want to see it, cool, knock yourself out. But don't steal it, and then start pulling excuses out of a giant excuse bag on why you HAD to do it and expect everyone in the same boat who figured out a way to go see it to agree with you.

If someone is pressuring someone else to see the film when they don't really want to, by all means speak up, call them out on it, it is BS to try to bully someone to go see a movie you are interested in. But if they just want to steal it or pirate it and then justify it to those of us who are finding ways to do it the right way, or come wave it around like some great accomplishment (You payed money for this thing you enjoy? Fuck that! I stole it lulz! MLP Fan 4 life bro!) then GTFO. If you are a fan and want to see the film, I do think you should support the film and those who made it, and then give your honest opinion on how you felt about it... but if not... then you have no respect I feel for the fandom, the creators or the show itself, and honestly I am not required to extend any towards you.

If you are a fan and "want" to see the film, by default you should be hoping to enjoy it and then want to see it succeed. Whether or not it leads to more seasons is irrelevant and anyone pressuring anyone in regards to that should get a nice reality check, however it could lead to another film you and others might enjoy. That is the whole point of anything in any media... "I liked this... I will support it because I want more of it" or "Wow that was awful, I am not supporting anymore of it because I did not like it". If you don't like something or don't want more of something, that is great... stop watching it and supporting it and go do and support things you do enjoy and let everyone else do the same.

As far as recommendations somehow being a type of pressure, then never again do I want to see any recommendations on any types of films, music, games, books or whatever... nor furthermore any types of reviews whatsoever neither good or bad. Because ALL of them then translate into some type of pressure apparently. 

Okay this is basically the best possible wording for this so

What he/she said.

• Brohoof 3

It's like asking yourself is this movie worth the money to watch it on a big screen or not? I do that to all movies, I'd do a little review research and consider if it's worth to pay to watch. 

5 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

It seems many people believe that the continued production of future seasons of the show hinges on the success of the movie, and I've seen some of them therefore lash out at others who have said that they don't plan on going to see the movie in theaters.

I am one of those people, but at the same time know that I, alongside many, can't force others into doing anything. If you can't watch it in Cinema or don't want to... that's okay... just ensure that you buy the DVD/Blu-Ray releases to help Hasbro reap in the money. It'll look good on whatever screen you use, so as long as you invest into the film directly at some point, it's not going to be too bad.

If someone is refusing to pay for the show when they have the opportunity to do so AND decide to go watch a pirated version, then they contributing to the failure of the movie and are acting very unethically. I don't care if you don't like the dub, you still have the opportunity to watch it in theaters, so if you're going to watch a pirated version, go and watch your local dub as well. 

For the people not persuaded by the trailers, I'd tell them this: I wasn't feeling it based on the trailers either, but I saw it anyway, and it ended up being WAY better than I expected. I swear they picked all the worst jokes just for the trailers. 

There is no direct threat to the show if the movie fails, but there is other things at stake. In regards to the show, the biggest thing is that movies have the opportunity to introduce new fans to the show, if nothing else by getting people to talk about it, but they kinda blew the opportunity with this movie by not doing enough to promote it. In order for the show to keep going, it needs to get new fans, as existing fans will eventually be lost. 

On 10/4/2017 at 10:34 AM, ChikoritaCheezits said:

I can't force anyone to do anything. I just recommend people to support the offical release if possible. You don't even need to buy a movie ticket to support it. You could wait for the DVD or Netflix release and that would still be giving them a paycheck. 

Foregin countries is a bit harder. I don't know much about how foregin releases go if you don't want to watch an inferior dub. Do DVDs in places like Europe have language options? I know Netflix does. Again, I'm too Murican to know this :P 

While this is true, I recommend supporting the theatrical release if possible because people read the box office, and thus sends a powerful message. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1