Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler So that one Twilight scene...

Cirrus.

Its an intriguing idea that you have there. However I don't think Twilight would ever come close to physically hurting her friends. I like the original in the movie itself the best. It had been shown in the show before that some magic is fueled by emotion. Even Starlight says so. So the movie scene makes more sense than having her actually get close to zapping Pinkie. Twilight getting close to zapping Pinkie just seems sadistic. I do wish the other ponies besides Pinkie got more involved in the argument though. Having grown more experienced in my personal friendships, and aware of my own perfectionist tendency over the years, and having seen the movie a few times, I have to say I completely understand how Twilight got to that point of desperation and I'm NOT proud of the fact that I have acted EXACTLY like Twilight in many ways i.e I have NEVER stolen anything but I can see how extremely high stress and too high expectations of yourself can make you act like an irrational (bleep)! The movie scene itself is super relatable to me now. 

My apologies if I replied to this thread at some earlier point but I don't think I had posted in this thread before and these are my current thoughts. 

I admit ... I LOOOOOVED this scene!! I really, really, REALLY don't like Twilight, and I liked the snap as it felt in-character due to old bad habits and the stress of the situation, plus it kinda shows itself later in that quiz episode.

Do I think Twilight would hurt her friends? That's a hard no, not unless she was pushed beyond her limits, like in the Return of Discord when her friends were Discorded and were attacking her first and she lost her patience and her temper was slipping too.

(edited)

TLDR

When I first saw that scene I did feel uneasy, but more I thought of it more it grew on me.

In fact, I just gonna throw in what I said about it elsewhere. Please, enjoy.

Spoiler

In a matter of seconds Twilie witnessed how her land got practically conquered and other princesses fell to the invaders. That pretty much left her (and her friends) as the last frontier between Storm King and total domination over Equestria. Quite a responsibility, wouldn’t you agree?

Now, Capper: the first character that she and her friends chose to trust to you-now-know-which initial results. That certainly had a serious effect on Twilie’s trust to characters other than equestrians. That led her to hastily orchestrating their escape from pirate’s airship in fear of them turning her in to Tempest. Oh, how could I forget that Twilie had Tempest in hot pursuit after her? There, actually, she also quite frankly was frustrated when Dash got too carried away helping pirates get their jam back and performed sonic rainboom. Consequences, again, you already know.

And finally we have Seaquestria part. Twilie and friends made such a journey to find those who supposedly could be their only salvation in their fight against Storm King. And what did the ruler of “hippos” answered to them? “No”. Imagine what shock this was for Twilie to realize that they were just denied their supposedly only help. This is where responsibility got mixed up with desperation. And you know what desperate ponies might resort to: pretty much anything. She didn’t tell anything her friends because she knew they probably wouldn’t understand. But neither she wanted to argue about it because time was racing against them. Which is why she ended up going the deception road.

Of course, it ultimately failed to pay off and made things worse. The band got kicked out of Seaquestria and everypony were not happy with Twilie’s actions. She obviously explained the way things were, or at least how she sees it. But her friends only were looking at it from their perspective. This, combined with everything else, started to destabilize Twilie psychologically, which ultimately led to:

“Well, maybe, I would've been better off without friends like you!!!

Twilie immediately regretted what she spitted out, and honestly wanted to apologize, but considering the power of certain words… Needless to say that this led to her morale being destroyed by regret, as well as questioning her place as friendship princess. Mane 5 also eventually started feeling bad about that and wanted to go and talk to Twilie. I think they finally saw things from her perspective and wanted to apologize. And hey, they did go to help her when she got captured. And to show how truly regretful she was about lashing out at her friends the first thing she does when they blast in (despite everything going on around) is that she apologized to them. And of course, everything was forgiven like it is with good friends.

To wrap things up, I just want to point out this one thing: Twilie, just like her friends, is not flawless. The words "princess" and "perfect" have never been synonyms. And besides, Twilie hasn't been a princess for as long as any other equestrian princess. She still has long way ahead of her.

"Sometimes ponies want more from a princess than you can give..."
                                                               - Cadance, 2017

Edited by Light Blade
  • Brohoof 4

• 2 months later...

I liked the Scence though. I mean yes you see it on Twilight‘s reaction how frustrated she is and wants to do everything to save Equestria and the princesses. Even if her Friends didn’t Agree with her she only did because she wants to save everyone 

• 1 month later...

Twilight was under a lot of pressure, and we have ten years of Twilight not acting well under pressure, so her failing and snapping at everyone makes perfect sense.

If anything, it's EVERYONE ELSE that's Out of Character for not helping her like they do every time Twilight starts freaking out.

On 6/14/2020 at 12:52 AM, Light Blade said:

Hide contents

In a matter of seconds Twilie witnessed how her land got practically conquered and other princesses fell to the invaders. That pretty much left her (and her friends) as the last frontier between Storm King and total domination over Equestria. Quite a responsibility, wouldn’t you agree?

Now, Capper: the first character that she and her friends chose to trust to you-now-know-which initial results. That certainly had a serious effect on Twilie’s trust to characters other than equestrians. That led her to hastily orchestrating their escape from pirate’s airship in fear of them turning her in to Tempest. Oh, how could I forget that Twilie had Tempest in hot pursuit after her? There, actually, she also quite frankly was frustrated when Dash got too carried away helping pirates get their jam back and performed sonic rainboom. Consequences, again, you already know.

And finally we have Seaquestria part. Twilie and friends made such a journey to find those who supposedly could be their only salvation in their fight against Storm King. And what did the ruler of “hippos” answered to them? “No”. Imagine what shock this was for Twilie to realize that they were just denied their supposedly only help. This is where responsibility got mixed up with desperation. And you know what desperate ponies might resort to: pretty much anything. She didn’t tell anything her friends because she knew they probably wouldn’t understand. But neither she wanted to argue about it because time was racing against them. Which is why she ended up going the deception road.

Of course, it ultimately failed to pay off and made things worse. The band got kicked out of Seaquestria and everypony were not happy with Twilie’s actions. She obviously explained the way things were, or at least how she sees it. But her friends only were looking at it from their perspective. This, combined with everything else, started to destabilize Twilie psychologically, which ultimately led to:

Reveal hidden contents
   Hide contents

“Well, maybe, I would've been better off without friends like you!!!

Twilie immediately regretted what she spitted out, and honestly wanted to apologize, but considering the power of certain words… Needless to say that this led to her morale being destroyed by regret, as well as questioning her place as friendship princess. Mane 5 also eventually started feeling bad about that and wanted to go and talk to Twilie. I think they finally saw things from her perspective and wanted to apologize. And hey, they did go to help her when she got captured. And to show how truly regretful she was about lashing out at her friends the first thing she does when they blast in (despite everything going on around) is that she apologized to them. And of course, everything was forgiven like it is with good friends.

To wrap things up, I just want to point out this one thing: Twilie, just like her friends, is not flawless. The words "princess" and "perfect" have never been synonyms. And besides, Twilie hasn't been a princess for as long as any other equestrian princess. She still has long way ahead of her.

"Sometimes ponies want more from a princess than you can give..."
                                                               - Cadance, 2017

You described this beautifully. Couldn’t agree more! :adorkable:

I agree.  It was a good scene and I also think Twilight could do something like that under pressure.  

I also see a lot of people claim Twilight was is the right to yell at them cause they weren’t taking it seriously.   And I just don’t agree with that.  

It was them being silly, and Rainbow Dash singing that gave those pirates the encouragement to go against the storm king. 

It was the other five that were about to successfully encourage the the sea ponies to help them, and Twilight ruined it by trying to steal the pearl.  

Twilight was stressed, and made the biggest mistake over any of them cause of it.   I do think the other five could have done a better job at detecting that her reaction was stress induced, though and worked with her better instead of abandoning her like they did, she didn’t deserve that either. 

• Brohoof 1

what bothers me is that she said it as if it was something she already have been thinking about long before the conflict and the shouting.

It kinda gave me the Fluttertaur vibe. She said things to Pinkie and Rarity just out of the depths of her heart with all the "Is it too much for your little brain" and "You want pushover Fluttershy" and all she said in that episode. Flutter was reclaiming things she thought were already unjust and voicing them. She came up with what she said because she already had a problem with it. She said coherent things that made sense, though too direct and too mean. 

Twi gave me that impression and I can understand it because through the seasons it's been very demonstrated that she has to carry the responsibility of securing the safety of everyone and ultimately she is the one who has to mostly come up with solutions to problems way out of her control while the others don't really seem to care or listen or learn or help in many cases, they just wait for twilight to come up with something. "Twilight will solve it". Is true that the elements and friendship is the key to unlock the rainbow magufin but this was particularly strange coming from her none the less because after all this time even if she lashes out like she did... her mf friends first reaction is to ditch her as if they again expect for twilight to solve the problem once again instead of them being the supposed friends they are to her, and they make her feel bad for trying to do so in the process....

We learned absolutely nothing...

latest?cb=20111016171130latest?cb=20111115140534

On 10/17/2017 at 7:48 AM, Cirrus. said:

So what did you think of the scene? Did

It's from the Movie. It makes totally sense for a Princess of Friendship to steal pearls and tell at their best friends :yeahno:

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2020 at 5:01 AM, TheVoidIsCalling said:

what bothers me is that she said it as if it was something she already have been thinking about long before the conflict and the shouting.

It kinda gave me the Fluttertaur vibe. She said things to Pinkie and Rarity just out of the depths of her heart with all the "Is it too much for your little brain" and "You want pushover Fluttershy" and all she said in that episode. Flutter was reclaiming things she thought were already unjust and voicing them. She came up with what she said because she already had a problem with it. She said coherent things that made sense, though too direct and too mean. 

Twi gave me that impression and I can understand it because through the seasons it's been very demonstrated that she has to carry the responsibility of securing the safety of everyone and ultimately she is the one who has to mostly come up with solutions to problems way out of her control while the others don't really seem to care or listen or learn or help in many cases, they just wait for twilight to come up with something. "Twilight will solve it". Is true that the elements and friendship is the key to unlock the rainbow magufin but this was particularly strange coming from her none the less because after all this time even if she lashes out like she did... her mf friends first reaction is to ditch her as if they again expect for twilight to solve the problem once again instead of them being the supposed friends they are to her, and they make her feel bad for trying to do so in the process....

We learned absolutely nothing...

latest?cb=20111016171130latest?cb=20111115140534

Sometimes leaving someone alone is the right answer.... And plot wise...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In Twily's defense, she was under a lot of pressure and stress to save Equestria. She was trying to find the hippos (hippogriffs) all while trying to evade the Storm King's army. Her friends weren't making it easy with them drawing everyone's attention to them with their singing and sonic rainbooms. In the end, she felt like she had to do it all by herself and forget her lessons in friendship. As soon as she realized what she had done, it was already too late and her friends abandoned her (again). 

"Friendship didn't fail me. I failed friendship." :(

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-02-02 at 12:48 PM, Twilight Luna said:

In Twily's defense, she was under a lot of pressure and stress to save Equestria. She was trying to find the hippos (hippogriffs) all while trying to evade the Storm King's army. Her friends weren't making it easy with them drawing everyone's attention to them with their singing and sonic rainbooms. In the end, she felt like she had to do it all by herself and forget her lessons in friendship. As soon as she realized what she had done, it was already too late and her friends abandoned her (again). 

"Friendship didn't fail me. I failed friendship." :(

I couldn't have said it better myself :adorkable:

Essentially it was just too much stress and pressure, and everyone who's under a lot of stress and pressure will end up doing something rash, especially if they're just thrown headlong into it like Twilight was in the movie :fluttershy:

I could never stay mad at Twiggles for snapping at her friends like that though, she's just too adorable and precious :P   

I never had a problem with that scene. "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.", as the old saying goes. That's why Twilight thought she was right in doing what she did, because her friends not taking things seriously had just almost gotten them killed twice. People make mistakes, people fight, Twilight did not need to have an involuntary reflex to drive the point in. She made a mistake, she learned from her mistake later, done. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 1

And remember this too, from a BTS view, this was being written during seasons 4, 5, and some of 6.  Which explains how Twilight is not just in this scene, but at that the start of the film as well, and at other times throughout.

But I will agree with 75% of the fanbase, and those that have reviewed and reacted to it via YouTube, this blow-up scene by Twi was not needing to be done the way it was.

Here's the thing about that scene it's very in charachter for Twilight to react that way, things were incredibly bad and she was letting the stress fester inside of her. But Pinkie is absolutely right when she said Twilight lost faith in her friends. Yes they could've taken things a bit more seriously but in the end their efforts turned out to be validated. Everyone they met got inspired by them and encouraged them to fight back against the Storm King. This is what Twilight was forgetting about as her anxiety built up inside of her, it's shown on the pirate ship when she shrugs off Rainbow trying to motivate the pirates but also later when Tempset shows up. The pirates were'nt going to sell them out but she did'nt trust Rainbow on it and got impaitent. In seaquestria Queen novo was going to say yes until twilight wrecked that.

I also really like that it was just Pinkie pie doing the arguing for the most part, because as the element of laughter and seeing it's her personal mission to make people happy and feel better she would feel the most hurt by Twilight's actions. Not only for the distraction but the fact that Twilight began to saw them as a liability pushing away the good quailites that's helped them save equestria time and again. The argument also felt very real too, when things start getting heated you have alot harder time controling yourself and you may wind up saying things you don't actually mean. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2021-06-11 at 4:56 AM, TheGleaner said:

I think it fits and all, but something could have been done slightly differently to make it work a bit better, I can't put my finger on it though. 

"...do what you always do? Bring out balloons and confetti and think that's going to fix this?"

You would have had to back things up a bit more to set up the "breaking" moment, but I think it would've fit in well with the "We can't dance with con-artists and make rainbows in the sky and expect everything to work out." It would still have been plenty abrasive, but not quite as low of a blow.

• 2 years later...

I LOVED this scene! Like.. Okay, Cliche and all, and yeaaaah, Twilight yelling at her friends

But for me it was more CATHARTIC seeing Pinkie pie show a genuine emotion that isn't her devolving into only "Happy" as the later seasons did in flanderizing her

I LIIIIVE for always happy characters getting so.. so... PEEVED 

LIKE PINKIE PIE?? Pinkie pie genuinely arguing with Twilight? The first pony Twilight ever met, the only one who has the patience to handle two baby cakes, and parties!

Uisydbyusiunsu8n i love this scene