Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Royal Wedding or Princess Coronation

twilightsparkle3562

Royal Wedding or Princess Coronation  

30 users have voted

1. 1. Which major and elaborate celebration was your favorite?

• Cadence and Shining Armor's wedding (A Canterlot Wedding)
    • Twilight Sparkle's Princess Coronation (Magical Mystery Cure)

I enjoyed Twilight Ascending more than the Wedding, as I was way more attached to Twilight than two characters who came out of nowhere. As episodes themselves though, I'd still say A Canterlot Wedding simply because it felt bigger and more well put together

• Brohoof 5

Speaking strictly about the event, I would say the wedding -- and I'm including the post wedding celebration in that. Ending the episode with the party was a great closing moment and had some nice character based touches (Pinkie, Spike, Twi talking to Shining). 

• Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Speaking strictly about the event, I would say the wedding -- and I'm including the post wedding celebration in that. Ending the episode with the party was a great closing moment and had some nice character based touches (Pinkie, Spike, Twi talking to Shining). 

I would have to agree here. Granted Cadence and Shining lack Twilight's over character development, but in terms of the event itself it had time to be built up through two eps as opposed to one.

• Brohoof 3

Although Twilight isn’t nearly my favorite character and the wedding episodes are two of my favorites, I think Twilight’s coronation was more special and I think I prefer it over the wedding. Sure, a royal wedding doesn’t happen often either, but I think it’s more likely to happen again than a princess coronation.

• Brohoof 2

The wedding. Besides the fact that a canterlot wedding is my favorite finale and also one of my favorite episodes, I really like how they celebrate it. It was a big nice party with a great ending song. And the dresses was so much better. I honestly don't like the most of the dresses from Magical Mystery Cure. The coronation was ok, but the wedding was so much better in my eyes.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I agree, we also got involved in the whole event throughout the first episode with all the wedding preparations and even a rehearsal of the ceremony.

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

I agree, we also got involved in the whole event throughout the first episode with all the wedding preparations and even a rehearsal of the ceremony.

Yep. You had the traditional build up and payoff to the wedding which helped get you a bit more invested. The coronation was more of a surprise event for the viewer by design, so it felt closer to the award ceremony in Return of Harmony minus the pop culture references to A New Hope. 

• Brohoof 1

While I appreciate A Canterlot Wedding for making me a brony in the first place, Magical Mystary Cure is the one who made me devoted, due to giving me strong feelings of joy I thought I was no longer capable of feeling. Yeah, to the point of tears 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, AlexanderThrond said:

The wedding, because unlike the coronation, it wasn't coated in nonsense. 

What is this "nonsense" the coronation was coated in?

6 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

What is this "nonsense" the coronation was coated in?

Predominantly, the murky idea of "destiny" which keeps hanging over it, and the notion that Twilight somehow uniquely earned this through doing... what? What did she do which is unique to her? I still don't know, and I don't believe Twilight ever wanted to be a princess. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Predominantly, the murky idea of "destiny" which keeps hanging over it, and the notion that Twilight somehow uniquely earned this through doing... what? What did she do which is unique to her? I still don't know, and I don't believe Twilight ever wanted to be a princess. 

Well you're right about that last part. She's humble. Never said she wanted to be a Princess. Still given where she is now, I think she deserved it. 

6 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Well you're right about that last part. She's humble. Never said she wanted to be a Princess. Still given where she is now, I think she deserved it. 

She's made the most of it but at the time I was very bothered that she apparently got credit for saving the world when it was always a group effort. Reeks of favoritism to me. 

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

She's made the most of it but at the time I was very bothered that she apparently got credit for saving the world when it was always a group effort. Reeks of favoritism to me. 

Didn't Twilight credit her friends for getting to becoming a princess during her coronation speech?

1 hour ago, twilightsparkle3562 said:

Didn't Twilight credit her friends for getting to becoming a princess during her coronation speech?

Yes, but I still don’t understand why Twilight became a princess. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

5 minutes ago, twilightsparkle3562 said:

Because she mostly solved a friendship spell that Starswirl the Bearded never completed.  Watch the episode again and you'll see.

It's the primary reason, but not the only one. After Twilight accidentally swapped her friends' memories around, she regained her composure and was able to convince her friends to remember their true selves. Her status was earned, because she made the effort to fix the problems she caused.

As to answer the question, it's tough, but I go with the wedding. While wedding itself wasn't special, the party afterwards was a more fulfilling conclusion than MMC's.

• Brohoof 2

On 12/6/2017 at 10:04 AM, AlexanderThrond said:

Actually, is it weird I would have liked to see all the main six become princesses or all of them gain a special role? I know having a bunch of princesses wouldn't be a good thing but I just don't exactly appreciate the fact Twilight sticks out from the group. I just felt like they all were important in their own way so Twilight being given such an honor while the others aren't nearly as well... honored feels... wrong. I've never been a fan of putting one character on a pedestal. The fact she's the main character doesn't help this notion. A lot of main character in shows are made to be something special which isn't always really a good thing, especially when the show focuses on the main six and not just Twilight. I think they should all be unique, yes, but putting one of them in a position higher than the others just doesn't feel right. And yes, I know that there are the stain glass windows and the thrones in Twilight's palace but that's about it.

On 12/6/2017 at 0:15 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

It's the primary reason, but not the only one. After Twilight accidentally swapped her friends' memories around, she regained her composure and was able to convince her friends to remember their true selves. Her status was earned, because she made the effort to fix the problems she caused.

As to answer the question, it's tough, but I go with the wedding. While wedding itself wasn't special, the party afterwards was a more fulfilling conclusion than MMC's.

And that's where the issue comes in. The other main six have had issues just like this one, issues were they caused a problem and have to fix it, stressful problems were they needed to be composed to fix it. The only thing that made Twilight's different was Star Swirl's spell, which rubs me the wrong way. It just seemed like a normal two-parter to me and Twilight becoming a princess didn't seem like the proper outcome, it actually felt a bit forced for me tbh.

And because of this, I'd have to choose the wedding. Not only did I like the whole concept of the changelings but I found the story of it intriguing, even if I am not the biggest fan of Cadence or Shining Armor.

Edited by Kreamer
Fixed Spelling and Grammar Errors

7 hours ago, Kreamer said:

Actually, is it weird I would have liked to see all the main six become princesses or all of them gain a special role? I know having a bunch of princesses wouldn't be a good thing but I just don't exactly appreciate the fact Twilight sticks out from the group. I just felt like they all were important in their own way so Twilight being given such an honor while the others aren't nearly as well... honored feels... wrong. I've never been a fan of putting one character on a pedestal. The fact she's the main character doesn't help this notion. A lot of main character in shows are made to be something special which isn't always really a good thing, especially when the show focuses on the main six and not just Twilight. I think they should all be unique, yes, but putting one of them in a position higher than the others just doesn't feel right. And yes, I know that there are the stain glass windows and the thrones in Twilight's palace but that's about it.

And that's where the issue comes in. The other main six have had issues just like this one, issues were they caused a problem and have to fix it, stressful problems were they needed to be composed to fix it. The only thing that made Twilight's different was Star Swirl's spell, which rubs me the wrong way. It just seemed like a normal two-parter to me and Twilight becoming a princess didn't seem like the proper outcome, it actually felt a bit forced for me tbh.

And because of this, I'd have to choose the wedding. Not only did I like the whole concept of the changelings but I found the story of it intriguing, even if I am not the biggest fan of Cadence or Shining Armor.

Nail on the head. The episode primarily links Twilight becoming a princess to 1. rewriting Starswirl's spell, and 2. "coming a long, long way." My issue with 1 is that it's very impersonal, so attaching all the bombast and emotion to it doesn't do much for me, and I didn't think the episode's overarching plot made much sense to begin with. My problem with 2 is that I'm hard-pressed to name something Twilight has accomplished which can't be argued to apply equally to her friends - even the times she saved the world were largely group efforts. So that really bothers me, as if any of those other characters you might have been invested in just... don't matter. Hence why I liked seeing them all get thrones in Twilight's castle in season 4. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...