spoiler Is Equestria a post apocalyptic world?

Unity

Hey, so i just watched this video 

and you should too before responding to this thread

I want to know what you guys think about it and what the possibilities are and if this makes sense?

• Brohoof 1

Eh, I don't think so. I think anything that hints toward that (buried tires and the like) are cartoony Easter eggs. However, it's a fun theory that gets the juices flowing.

Something distinctly human, like a whole skeleton, drawing, or a half buried Statue of Liberty on a beach  for instance would change my mind.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, PiratePony said:

Eh, I don't think so. I think anything that hints toward that (buried tires and the like) are cartoony Easter eggs. However, it's a fun theory that gets the juices flowing.

Something distinctly human, like a whole skeleton, drawing, or a half buried Statue of Liberty on a beach  for instance would change my mind.

yea, although it makes sense i dont really want to believe it.

but it was a hell of an interesting video

Well whatever it is, it ain't Earth. If only we knew the name of the planet and what the star is called that Celestia controls. Yeah they call it 'the sun', but that's only because they don't wanna complicate things for younger audiences. Now let's wait for G5, and we'll see what they're called then!

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

Well whatever it is, it ain't Earth. If only we knew the name of the planet and what the star is called that Celestia controls. Yeah they call it 'the sun', but that's only because they don't wanna complicate things for younger audiences. Now let's wait for G5, and we'll see what they're called then!

You never know... the universe could have been filled with.... magic.

11 hours ago, donttellmum said:

What

You know, magic? The scientific name for the creme of an Oreo cookie, the universe is filled with it. It's why there is no post-apocalyptic narrative. Pinkie ensured everyone gets a daily dose of magic. This knowledge has been been passed down to Party Ponies of the Flooflican Tribe to prevent such a state of affairs. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

You know, magic? The scientific name for the creme of an Oreo cookie, the universe is filled with it. It's why there is no post-apocalyptic narrative. Pinkie ensured everyone gets a daily dose of magic. This knowledge has been been passed down to Party Ponies of the Flooflican Tribe to prevent such a state of affairs. 

What

Hmmm.... sorry. Don't see it. Looks like a world completely separate from the human world, to me. That is to say, a world where there is no evidence of humans originally living there to begin with.

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Okay my idea is that somehow our sun simply 'went out' and earth drifted through space until it was caught in the gravity of a new star, my guess is humans somehow screwed our sun. The cold of space would allow things like tired to remain.

On February 4, 2018 at 7:31 PM, Orenda said:

I doubt it, as it's a bit dark for a children's show, and 

also could be canon.

Have you watched Adventure Time by any chance? I mean they did it with a nuclear war as the apocalypse.

(edited)

Going through the points of the video that I could at least.

Spoiler

Unusable tools:

A. The tools weren't designed efficiently. If this were the case, then it wouldn't be for very long because the ponies would design better versions over time. they seem to be doing just fine with what they have, and something to remember, they kick trees in order to harvest apples. That obviously wouldn't work in our world yet with a few kicks they clear what could be an hour for us. The only thing better we've seen is Twilight using her manage to grab all of the apples from multiple trees at once.

B. Some other race with fingers left the tools there. We were introduced to Gilda the Griffon in season 1, episode 5. Chances are that some of their goods are cheaper to manufacture and they have a trade agreement of some sort where they receive finer tools.

C. The tools are left over from long ago and were never updated. Yeah, same pretty much applies to inefficient designs explanation.

• Saddles - Originated as a buffer/cushion for heavy loads as is done on pack mules. Is used more commonly now as a clothing style.
  • Horse Drawn Carriage - The pony equivalent of a rickshaw. Same applies to wagons, carts, buggies, and chariots. Pretty useful since combustion engines don't seem to have been invented yet or aren't widely available.
  • Quills - Easy and cheap to make as they require far less work and resources to make than a pen, and can be used by unicorns or races with fingers. Perhaps Pegasus wings are nimble enough to use them as well? That could make them practical for up to 2/3rds of the pony population if the races are divided evenly.
  • Construction Tools, Lassos, Mugs - Don't look efficient at first glance but are being used effectively. Horses have stronger necks than humans and even not being regular horses they definately have a different physiology than can put up with more blunt force to the head. Those mugs do look tight but some visuals we have to chalk up to as a result of this being a cartoon. Realistically the handles would simply be larger. Most people don't hold mugs the way ponies are shown to do which I think is funny since placing your fingers through the handle and allowing them to wrap around the base while stopping at the thumb actually provides a firmer grip than just gripping the handle. It is less maneuverable however.
  • Camera's - We have seen stands and neck straps used so a single hoof can be used to take a picture. The first successful photograph was taken in 1816, the technology really began to take off from the 1850s onward, by the 1870's near instantaneous photography became possible, followed by the ability to capture colored images in the 1890s. Camera's aren't new to us, I don't see why they couldn't have them themselves.
  • Printing Press - Like the camera, not new technology.
  • Cups - Honestly not worth mentioning beyond the invention of glass which even in a clear form goes back nearly a thousand years albeit not nearly as good of quality.
  • Violin - I honestly I don't have anything for string instruments beyond ponies possibly being able to play only the simplest of music. Something slow and only requires a single string to be pressed down upon at any time.
  • Car Tire - You're assuming it's from an automobile. I'm unsure of when rubber was first used for a tire, but the first pneumatic tire was patented in the 1840's but due to high costs wasn't practical until the late 1880's. Tires were also needed more for inner city vehicles as the harder roadways of brick and pavement had a tendency to wear down wheels more. There is a use for tires in Equestria but they might not be practical for the same reasons they weren't so early on for us. Also rubber might be a scarce resource. As to how it found it's way so far underground, you'd be amazed at how much garbage gets buried.

Many of these things would be used most easily by unicorns, but they are a powerful and decent sized portion of the population. There is a market for such goods, and some are strange, but a majority of them aren't that unusual.

Ruins:

Sure they don't put a damper on the theory, but they're not adding to it either.

The map of Equestria is really frustrating since it's been changed to the point where it doesn't make sense anymore. Equestria was originally a parody of the North American Continent so it used to be safe to assume the rest of the world was relatively similar to ours but it's been very inconsistent. One could use the similarity of locations and names as evidence, but anyone with basic understanding of tectonic places can tell you that the map is far off from what it should be it it's indeed the future. 

The argument made over the use of the word Earth here is ridiculous. They're going to say earth because it's a default name, not a unique one like what we've given to all of the other planets. If they're going to have the show done in a language for the audience to understand, they going to use a default name.

Comics aren't canon.

It's difficult enough to write down and maintain records for several generations. It's nearly impossible to have everyone be aware of what those records consist of.

This theory is getting way too convoluted.

Personally, my theory is that Equestria has purposely taken a technological step back due to "new" inventions being used for deadly purposes. Something along the lines of a world war which brought about such tragedy and despair, that it acted as both a crippling blow to those defeated, and provided reason to prevent something like it from ever happening again. Much like the great war in real life it was considered to be the war to end all wars, not the one to change the nature of warfare to one of unimaginable horror and bloodshed. The victors saw the ability to wage such war resulting from an arms race as the cause and to prevent this from ever happening again they shrunk their military forces and imposed limits on the power, size, and number of various military elements. Celestia might have done this to the Nth degree by regulating all technology used and having the machines of war destroyed. This is why some relatively modern things still exist or why a handful of odd things make an appearance, mainly helmets like Granny Smith's from season 2, episode 12, Twilight's along with her friend's cammo outfits in season 2, episode 21, and Maud's in season 4, episode 18. Part of why Equestria has such a utopian atmosphere is because it's focused on remaining a nation of peace. In the alternate time line where Equestria goes to war with the Crystal Empire under Sombra's reign, we see sudden technological advancement, mostly from the wonderbolts, along with a dull brownish grey equestria, most notably the train shown at the end of the scene isn't all decorative like we're used to. Practicality over maintaining an image in a time of war.

As for the timeline in which the war occurred, I'd say Granny Smith would be the equivalent to our Baby Boomers but without the second world war, and her parents would have been part of the Lucky Few or Silent Generation that grew up in a recovering Equestria.

Edited by SharpWit