Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfiction that has everything in it

Plonkett

How do you like fanfics that have a whole slew of different moments in them? Like for instance, one fanfic that's slice of life based could have things like humor, drama, romance, a saucy makeout scene or two, and some heavy scenes of emotion. Another could be an adventure based story with humor, action, mystery, suspense, some dark and even grimdark moments, some emotional moments, and a romantic subplot.

It's stories like that that make me love ponies so much, because stories with them can have so much variety.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

Depends on who's writing it. If it's done by a good writer, then it would make for an engaging experience.

I actually misread your OP. I thought you literally wanted all elements from all genres in one story, and it isn't the case. Combining some genres or narrative elements in a story work well, others causes a tonal issue that even though best writers with years of experience struggle with. The first example you posted is basically most of the YA marketed Romance genre (read mostly by older adults). In fact, if a romance story doesn't have humor, an sol approach, and a scene that is emotional or emotionally cathartic -- it fails more often than it succeeds. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I actually misread your OP. I thought you literally wanted all elements from all genres in one story, and it isn't the case. Combining some genres or narrative elements in a story work well, others causes a tonal issue that even though best writers with years of experience struggle with. The first example you posted is basically most of the YA marketed Romance genre (read mostly by older adults). In fact, if a romance story doesn't have humor, an sol approach, and a scene that is emotional or emotionally cathartic -- it fails more often than it succeeds. 

Yes, which is why it's important for certain stories to have many shades of grey. Look at the show Game of Thrones (and the books it's based on) for example, you got compelling death scenes, romance subplots, tensions between characters, political intrigue, conspiracy, occasional comic relief (most notably the "shitadel"), fast paced fight scenes, epic battle sequences, and not to mention loads of sex scenes. You want your readers and viewers to have a good time and not have your story just be the same thing throughout.

Edited by vgmaster9

Call it bad writing if you will. I personally love  stories I can't predict ;) Containing your writing to a structure, genre, tropes, rules etc... It's all good, but I'm captured things that are unconfined and complex. That's why I love fanfiction and rping. People who aren't "professional writers" are some of the most interesting and engaging. 

Not that professional writers can't be, I love well structured stories too. I just find that writing 'good stories' seems to have a lot of rules you won't find in real life, so there's good to be had there, too. Give me something real or inspired, not just designed to fit the genre. I'll love you for it.

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse
  • Brohoof 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

Call it badwriting if you will. I personally love  stories I can't predict ;) Containing your writing to a structure, genre, tropes, rules etc... It's all good, but I'm captured things that are unconfined and complex. That's why I love fanfiction and rping. People who aren't "professional writers" are some of the most interesting and engaging. 

Not that professional writers can't be, I love well structured stories too. I just find that writing 'good stories' seems to have a lot of rules you won't find in real life, so there's good to be had there, too. Give me something real or inspired, not just designed to fit the genre. I'll love you for it.

Pretty much. What's so great about it is that while there are many prolific writers and novelists out there, you're likely to find a story that's just as good as (if not better than) theirs by Joe Schmo at the gas station.

5 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

Pretty much. What's so great about it is that while there are many prolific writers and novelists out there, you're likely to find a story that's just as good as (if not better than) theirs by Joe Schmo at the gas station.

I think Mauroz's comic sounds a lot like this. There is humour, love and adventure. :grin:

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Hierok, Scoffer of Music said:

I think Mauroz's comic sounds a lot like this. There is humour, love and adventure. :grin:

There's one fic I read that's about griffons conquering Equestia and has intense action scenes, as well as some slice of life and romance bits.

Edited by vgmaster9

Just now, vgmaster9 said:

There's one fic I read that's about griffons conquering Equestia and has intense action scenes, as well as some slice of life and romance bits.

Where could I find it?

On 2/28/2018 at 1:31 PM, Hierok, Scoffer of Music said:

And a fanservice or two as well :bedeyes:. Well, it's a magical girls adaptation of FIM after all :icwudt:. I'm a little concerned because the last chapter came a while back, not even new art since new year :huh:

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

And a fanservice or two as well :bedeyes:. Well, it's a magical girls adaptation of FIM after all :icwudt:. I'm a little concerned because the last chapter came a while back, not even new art since new year :huh:

Yeah me too. Normally he adds around the two months a new chapter. The last one was in December. :confused: We just gotta wait for a new one or news. 

• 2 years later...

I think Fallout Equestria Horizons has pretty much everything in it:huh:

Crossover, grimdark, romance, drama, love, angst, wholesome moments, depression, betrayal, epic moments, some clop chapters, etc

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind, as long as it isn't completely overloaded with different themes. That can cause a story to feel bloated and make many segments inconsequential. If there's a balance, I think it pays off.