Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Hearth's Warming Club broke the timeline

FlareGun45

Alright here's what's wrong with it, I'll put it down as a list:

1. A Hearth's Warming Tail was the previous Hearth's Warming episode, and the changeling hive was reformed after that, so how can the changelings celebrate Hearth's Warming? Unless they did it on a different day.

2. The school was opened right after the movie, which was when the hippogrifs/seaponies were free from the Storm King, the school hasn't been open for over a year so how can the seaponies/hippogrifs have their own holiday when they never celebrated it? Unless that too is on a different date, but Ocellus and Silverstream seem to treat their holidays as it takes place the same time as Hearth's Warming.

3. The school as been opened for 6 months as of Non-Compete Clause, and Hearth's Warming Club has to take place after because of Spike's wings, which means the school had to have been opened in at least June. They have a winter break at the school but not a summer break?

So yeah, this timeline doesn't make any sense. Yeah Equestria times might be different from ours since they go in Moons but this is still pretty confusing.

• Brohoof 1

No the school been open for nine months as of Non-Complete Clause. And technically... it would only need thirteen months to pass to explain two hearths warming since the school started... 

The only real problem is you refusing that it's been that long and realizing that we don't get to see everything that happens. The schools been open for a really long time.

Edited by Kadeda
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Kadeda said:

No the school been open for nine months as of Non-Complete Clause. And technically... it would only need thirteen months to pass to explain two hearths warming since the school started... 

The only real problem is you refusing that it's been that long and realizing that we don't get to see everything that happens. The schools been open for a really long time.

It coulda been that long! But then we have to think about age differences. This isn't the Simpsons, characters change! So the twins have to have grown eyes by now, at least!

• Brohoof 1

An issue on your hypothesis is:

- "A Hearth's Warming Tail was the previous HW episode" that doesn't mean it's the previous HW in universe.

Remember when the show skipped at least 6 months in a single episode? It was on season 7 and Rarity remembers, she remembers very well.

The timeline of FiM has been a pain since S1, trying to make sense of it is very difficult and even if HWC had broken up the timeline, it wouldn't be the first episode to do it.

• Brohoof 5

This isn't ONCE Upon a Time. This show is about friendship and social interactions, not timelines. :P

Consistency in timelimes was never meant to be ironclad in this show. Just relax and watch the show for its characters, plot, and animation.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

This isn't ONCE Upon a Time. This show is about friendship and social interactions, not timelines. :P

Consistency in timelimes was never meant to be ironclad in this show. Just relax and watch the show for its characters, plot, and animation.

CinemaSins is too much of an inspiration, brah! XD

• Brohoof 2

The only thing that puzzle me is the two babies changelings in ocellus's flashback. Either these babies were babies during the reform or someone else can also reproduce.

• Brohoof 1

35 minutes ago, TBD said:

The only thing that puzzle me is the two babies changelings in ocellus's flashback. Either these babies were babies during the reform or someone else can also reproduce.

There's nothing in canon necessarily stating that only the Queen Changeling can reproduce, that's just an assumption/headcanon people make because the Changeling's are bugs. It's very possible all Changeling's can do it.

That said, babies being around during the reform isn't too unlikely either, honestly. If Chrysalis wants to rule, she'd want a big army, so more Changeling's would be a good thing.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

There's nothing in canon necessarily stating that only the Queen Changeling can reproduce, that's just an assumption/headcanon people make because the Changeling's are bugs. It's very possible all Changeling's can do it.

But the fact that all changelings are males except for Ocellus, they couldn't have. Unless they undergo sex change; and either mated or asexually reproduce ... or the alternative theory which I don't think it will nice to say to Ocellus.

1 minute ago, TBD said:

But the fact that all changelings are males except for Ocellus, they couldn't have. Unless they undergo sex change; and either mated or asexually reproduce ... or the alternative theory which I don't think it will nice to say to Ocellus.

Wait, what do you mean all Changeling's are male other than Ocellus? I don't think that's right, the only other major Changeling's in the series other than her and Chrysalis are Thorax and Pharynx, so that's an even split between male and female. But some of the other changeling's in "To Change a Changeling" certainly seemed female, like the one running the "Feelings Forum" thing.

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

Wait, what do you mean all Changeling's are male other than Ocellus? I don't think that's right, the only other major Changeling's in the series other than her and Chrysalis are Thorax and Pharynx, so that's an even split between male and female. But some of the other changeling's in "To Change a Changeling" certainly seemed female, like the one running the "Feelings Forum" thing.

If you could see the difference between the female and male, Ocellus has eyelashes, mane on the back of her head, and her snout is a little smaller like any other mares. The rest do not and has a slightly larger snout. Basically the males looks alot like Thorax. If we could tell the differences,the show would've  made it simple and noticeable to see which is male and female(just like a mare and colt ).Just because some sound like  a female, doesn't mean they are.That's a poor assumption. 

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, TBD said:

If you could see the difference between the female and male, Ocellus has eyelashes, mane on the back of her head, and her snout is a little smaller like any other mares. The rest do not and has a slightly larger snout. Basically the males looks alot like Thorax. If we could tell the different ,the show would've  made it simple and noticeable to see which is male and female(just like a mare and colt ).Just because some sound like  a female, doesn't mean they are.That's a poor assumption. 

Okay, fair enough I suppose, but I still highly doubt Ocellus is the only female Changeling, if the intent was that all Changeling's were male, except Chrysalis and Ocellus, well...why is Ocellus female then? Seems kinda random and out of nowhere, unless they specifically had some kind of intent for her to be the only one. I feel like it's very likely there's more female changeling's.

It's also very likely that they originally didn't differentiate the models between male and female Changeling's, but when they decided to make Ocellus, they added the extra feminine features to make her stand out more.

There's also the time it took to build the school that isn't being taken into account. I don't recall it ever being stated how long it took to build the school. So a time skip of some kind could've happened there.

9 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

Okay, fair enough I suppose, but I still highly doubt Ocellus is the only female Changeling, if the intent was that all Changeling's were male, except Chrysalis and Ocellus, well...why is Ocellus female then? Seems kinda random and out of nowhere, unless they specifically had some kind of intent for her to be the only one. I feel like it's very likely there's more female changeling's.

It's also very likely that they originally didn't differentiate the models between male and female Changeling's, but when they decided to make Ocellus, they added the extra feminine features to make her stand out more.

My guessing is I think since we are used to think that changelings are all males, Ocellus is the "first" to be introduced as another female changeling. To confirm people that "yes there are other female changelings in the colonies". That being said, I would expect to see more similar to Ocellus in the future. But until then it's does seem pretty random to add another female changeling in a late noticed when they could have done so in the beginning. I don't doubt  there are another females because Ocellus happen. but I want to see more like her to be convince.

Edited by TBD

At this point it would be best to stop trying to make sense of the show's timeline.  Given that there has been 4 Hearths Warming episodes, I assume 4 years have taking place in universe, but outside of that I have no clue.

7 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

At this point it would be best to stop trying to make sense of the show's timeline.  Given that there has been 4 Hearths Warming episodes, I assume 4 years have taking place in universe, but outside of that I have no clue.

Never. I have gotten up to season 7 and about 1/4 through the comics in my attempt to make the timeline form up and I will not give up now. I figure in 2 weeks to a month I can post initial findings however I do admit the later seasons are sort of forcing a reconstruct. That said its 9 months in non compete clause unless Fluttershy won teach of the moon multiple times in a moon. There's also room in other episodes this season for some extra time to quietly slip by.considering we go from a summer/spring in the previous episode jump to winter then jump back to summer/spring with the next.

You know you are forgetting that there is an upcoming Best Gift Ever special.

I think this episode clearly takes place during this special, as long as the Student Six aren't a big main focus in that BGE special, and we'll eventually have to know Pinkie Pie and Starlight Glimmer's whereabouts from there.

Edited by FirePuppy
  • Brohoof 1

I think there's been five hearts warming shown so i would say that it's been five years minimum. I personally think it's been 8 years... but the cmc stuck in that ash ketchum phase.

On 8/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, MegaSean45 said:

1. A Hearth's Warming Tail was the previous Hearth's Warming episode, and the changeling hive was reformed after that, so how can the changelings celebrate Hearth's Warming? Unless they did it on a different day.

2. The school was opened right after the movie, which was when the hippogrifs/seaponies were free from the Storm King, the school hasn't been open for over a year so how can the seaponies/hippogrifs have their own holiday when they never celebrated it? Unless that too is on a different date, but Ocellus and Silverstream seem to treat their holidays as it takes place the same time as Hearth's Warming.

3. The school as been opened for 6 months as of Non-Compete Clause, and Hearth's Warming Club has to take place after because of Spike's wings, which means the school had to have been opened in at least June. They have a winter break at the school but not a summer break?

So yeah, this timeline doesn't make any sense. Yeah Equestria times might be different from ours since they go in Moons but this is still pretty confusing.

There is so much wrong here.
1.) We already know season 7-8 has a massive time skip and season 8 itself has a massive timeskip throughout, it makes complete sense that Twilight shared Hearthswarming with Thorax and the hive after the events of season 6.

2.) The school was opened "right" after the movie yes, assuming it took a few days/weeks to build the school, Silverstream does say that it used to be 1 day to celebrate them escaping the Storm King that just happened to be in Winter, but after his defeat, "We're ADDING two more days of AWESOME!" so it hasn't happened yet. THat is one reason she is so excited

3.) The school was open for 9 months as of Non Compete Clause, and we don't know when Non Compete Clause was in season wise, and it is possible they decided not to do Summer break as the school opened close to the season. I don't think it really matters that much here.

It did not "break" the timeline at all. It's really simple really. MLP is not hard to follow unless you really try to explain it.
Every season takes place after the last and every finale/episode takes place after the premiere but all the episodes spread throughout the season aren't in chronological order, at least for the earlier seasons. 

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Every season takes place after the last and every finale/episode takes place after the premiere but all the episodes spread throughout the season aren't in chronological order, at least for the earlier seasons. 

If this makes sense, then clearly, we should know that the upcoming "Best Gift Ever" special should at least take place during The Hearth's Warming Club because they're both holiday themed.

2 hours ago, RyanMahaffe said:

You're right about the episodes not necessarily being in chronological order.

This Fictional Chronological timeline on MLP WIKIA does point out how most of the episodes in between Season Premieres and Finales are in unsorted order. So really, nothing is 100 percent set in stone.

I believe it helps the writers from being too restricted with their ideas.

• Brohoof 2

On 8/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, MegaSean45 said:

There may be ways to explain this:

1-Some time may have passed between Shadow Play and the pony movie

2-I don't think the school was opened from one day to another. Everything from approval, legal bureaucratic boredom, and building may have taken several months at least. Non-Compete Clause takes place about 9 months after the school opened.

The hippogriffs/seaponies celebration do seem rather confusing, but maybe they celebrate the day the Storm King attacked, not hos defeat.... I could be mistaken tho :huh: 

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

The hippogriffs/seaponies celebration do seem rather confusing, but maybe they celebrate the day the Storm King attacked, not hos defeat.... I could be mistaken tho :huh: 

No, it was originally a 1 day celebration to celebrate their escape from the Storm King, they are now adding two days to celebrate his defeat.