Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Being in a car crash, or being in a plane crash?

KillerKingBakudan

• 1 month later...

I’m guessing the question is rather would you prefer loss of brakes at top speed (let’s say 55mph with a stop light ahead) or fuel starvation at some altitude (higher is better, usually I’ve cruised at 3-4000 feet above ground).

On a car, I’d downshift if available (my Accent has that), or probably drive into the curb to slow down, or just swerve to stop... lots of variables to play with.

In a plane, land in some field or airport (not everywhere), or a road. A good landing site and into the wind and it wouldn’t even be a hard stop. There’s likely fewer people going to be harmed from this. Assuming the fuel starvation wasn’t my own fault...

I won’t say my preferred option; knock on wood :wacko: .

• Brohoof 1

I'd probably have a better survival rate in a car crash on land than in a plane. I'd have plenty more options available to avoid or minimize damage, as the driver. In a plane, there's not much you can do as a passenger.

But I'd much rather die in a plane crash than in a car crash underwater.

Honestly a car. I don't know why but I think my survivability would be greatly improved.

• 3 years later...
(edited)
On 2019-05-08 at 6:12 PM, DubWolf said:

I’m guessing the question is rather would you prefer loss of brakes at top speed (let’s say 55mph with a stop light ahead) or fuel starvation at some altitude (higher is better, usually I’ve cruised at 3-4000 feet above ground).

On a car, I’d downshift if available (my Accent has that), or probably drive into the curb to slow down, or just swerve to stop... lots of variables to play with.

In a plane, land in some field or airport (not everywhere), or a road. A good landing site and into the wind and it wouldn’t even be a hard stop. There’s likely fewer people going to be harmed from this. Assuming the fuel starvation wasn’t my own fault...

I won’t say my preferred option; knock on wood :wacko: .

Heh, honestly everybody would say the car crash.

The range of "violence" is much more narrow for a car than an airplane (ranging from going off the runway to diving into the ground with a zero chance of survival...).

I'd say the same. a car crash, minus all this... math I gave out :maud: .

Edited by DubWolf
  • Brohoof 1

I’ve actually witnessed a plane crash six years ago that killed all four people on board.  The plane caught on fire and smoke filled the cockpit, and they crashed.   Had they been in a car in the same scenario they’d be alive today cause all they’d had to have done was pull over. 

I’ll take my chances in a car crash any day.