Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Hasbro end the show?

dragoonanime

I can't help wondering why Hasbro decided to end the show now when it has been really huge for them. I also wonder if the Twilight takes over for Celestia and Luna plot would of been saved for another season if season 9 had not been the end.

1 minute ago, TheTaZe said:

I guess something to do with it not making as much as it used to.

Not only that. They are running out of ideas for the show. If the show gone more and more, It will suffer like Spongebob Squarepants, Family Guy, and The Simpsons.

• Brohoof 3

27 minutes ago, Cl0udChaser said:

Not only that. They are running out of ideas for the show. If the show gone more and more, It will suffer like Spongebob Squarepants, Family Guy, and The Simpsons.

Duh! It had to end at some point, and the time has already come. Besides, I myself think everypony has gotten what they needed.

It went on for almost 10 years now - and its golden age is far behind us. You can't keep dragging a series forever you know - you have to know when to stop, in order to make place for new creations.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, dragoonanime said:

I can't help wondering why Hasbro decided to end the show now when it has been really huge for them. I also wonder if the Twilight takes over for Celestia and Luna plot would of been saved for another season if season 9 had not been the end.

All good things must come to an end - else the goodness alone does.

And I doubt they'd have had her as ruling princess during the show, if that's what you mean.

Hasbro has had a lot of success with rebooting their toy brands after a while, and fourth-generation My Little Pony has been going on for nearly a decade. The kids have grown up and it's time for something new.

Anyway the IDW comics are probably going to keep going for a while, so if you need more of these characters, that's where you'll want to look. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Hasbro has had a lot of success with rebooting their toy brands after a while, and fourth-generation My Little Pony has been going on for nearly a decade. The kids have grown up and it's time for something new.

Now you tell me. All the 4 to 8 year olds who started watching this show when it was brand-new are all now teenagers, and anyone who was at least 9 years old at that time are all now adults.

7 hours ago, Cl0udChaser said:

Yeah, it's better that they ended it before it turned into seasonal rot.

All of the main characters have gone through complete character arcs, there wasn't much material left to come up with. This is why G4 is ending and G5 is coming out next year - Hasbro wants to continue the hype train while also getting a chance to reset thier story resources.

I mean, this is Hasbro. They aren’t known for being good caretakers of their IP, and do some head scratching things with toy distribution and sales. It is honestly a miracle they’ve stayed afloat. 

• Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, dragoonanime said:

Wish we could have gotten another season or two with the student 6 characters.

Not really two, one coulda been enough. But yeah, the Student 6 is left with an incomplete arc.

On 21/10/2019 at 16:58, dragoonanime said:

No puedo evitar preguntarme por qué Hasbro decidió terminar el programa ahora, cuando ha sido realmente enorme para ellos. También me pregunto si Twilight se hace cargo de la trama de Celestia y Luna se habría salvado para otra temporada si la temporada 9 no hubiera sido el final.

I think Hasbro has had creative problems after season 7, including a school where our protagonists go from being adventurous and great, to teachers who scold their students. In season 9, it was to close the subplots so the ninth season was necessary, but I think it would have been better to skip the Friendship School.

I really hope that the G5 is a little more mature, that is, it is aimed at children from 8 to 13 years old, instead of young children from 3 to 8.

1 minute ago, frida said:

I think Hasbro has had creative problems after season 7, including a school where our protagonists go from being adventurous and great, to teachers who scold their students. In season 9, it was to close the subplots so the ninth season was necessary, but I think it would have been better to skip the Friendship School.

I really hope that the G5 is a little more mature, that is, it is aimed at children from 8 to 13 years old, instead of young children from 3 to 8.

Are those children the ones that buy pony toys? Rather, aren't they the ones Equestria Girls was aimed at?

11 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

¿Son esos niños los que compran juguetes de ponis? Por el contrario, ¿no son ellos a quienes Equestria Girls estaba dirigida?

I meant the series and not the toy collections. Equestria Girls was a huge failure, flooded with cliches and not about ponies.

1 minute ago, frida said:

I meant the series and not the toy collections. Equestria Girls was a huge failure, flooded with cliches and not about ponies.

The series exists to sell the toys - their target audiences will be the same.And those cliches were Hasbro's attempt to aim at the older audience you describe.

Toys weren't selling as well. Target demographic grew up. Bronies already had a Lot of the merch, most of which wasn't very good. And Hasbro aren't an entertainment company, but a toy one. 

And they need to make that 💵 any way they can, especially with toy sales down across the board. 

New generation. New revenue.

Honestly, as much as I love MLP:FiM I'm glad they ended it when they did, better end it in a good note than have it go on forever and ever and loose it's charm.

• Brohoof 1