Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

food What's your favourite meal to make yourself?

daviddaviddavid

Personally I'm a big fan of Indian/spicy food, so I like making extremely hot curries. I find that that there's a massive amount of variation in what you can make with roughly the same initial base of ingredients, and as someone who loves heat it always tastes pretty good. That, or steaks - I cook a mean steak.

What about you guys? :)

• Brohoof 4

One time I did real homemade Kolasås https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolasås (I guess fudge sauce would be an English translation) spending 2 hours manually whipping cream and sugar under cooking, not to burn the sugar or the cream. It was the tastiest thing I have ever made (tongue melted on impact basically), and got quite popular at the lunch tables (it was for my school, so a lunch table of +25 people including teachers). When you get so many happy faces and comments, you know it is your favorite to make.

Well, turned out it was a one time thing, and super difficult to make right. I was lucky the first time, and I have never done it again.

• Brohoof 2

I love me a good curry, but it’s not something I usually make myself. I usually make fajitas, or a big pot of pressure cooker whatever the hell is in my cupboard. Seriously, add some spices, and a few ingredients that you think will be good together, and you’ll have a fabulous meal in 40 minutes or less. Just never use sunflower seeds. Learned my lesson with that.

• Brohoof 1

I usually make pasta dishes since they're pretty straightforward and you can put whatever you want in them. Some of my favorites:

-carbonara pasta with pancetta and egg/cheese sauce

-pasta with tomato sauce, oven-roasted vegetables, and cheese

-pasta with swiss chard, pancetta, and cheese

-pasta with sausage, kale, and cheese

-mac and cheese pasta with grainy mustard and paprika

-pasta salad with mayo, tomatoes, cucumbers, and this cheese seasoning

-pasta salad with strawberries, basil, balsamic, and mozzarella

-pasta salad with tomatoes, arugula, peaches, and feta

Hmm, it seems like I just like to eat cheese really :nom:

• Brohoof 1

Most of them, lol. I love a good steak, but I find what I get served at most restaurants these days to be very underwhelming. The portions are too small and they cook it with a sous vide and sear the outside just long enough to give it the appearance some grilling took place. And for god's sake, seasoning! Can I get some?

I was accidently carrying a salt and pepper grinder in my coat pocket from a potluck I participated in, and I joked about using it within a restaurant, and recently I've begun taking them in with me intentionally because I can't trust the chefs anymore. Salt and pepper is the bare minimum for a steak, I shouldn't have to pay extra for it or rely on the sub par shakers at the table for any sense of flavor.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a sous vide, mostly so I can temper chocolate rather than perfectly cook my meats, but you can't rely on it alone. Meat requires direct heat for two purposes. It creates more flavor by breaking down fats and proteins which at the same time softens the meat and allows those heavenly juices to flow freely. A few seconds isn't enough. A steak needs more to be more than cooked, it needs to be respected. My favorite cut is Ribeye, but all of that magical marbling of fat goes to waste, along with other great cuts like the New York or the overrated Fillet Mignon, when you're simply cooking it in boiling water.

Steak is expensive, I get it, as are seasonal vegetable like Asparagus, especially when you're trying to provide healthier options and more ethical sources. But this is America, and steak is meant to be a hearty meal. It shouldn't be a pretty round thing next to my beautifully swirled mashed potatoes, it should be making a statement, by invading the space of every side dish and dominating your plate. Don't shrink down my meal to be more appealing to the influx of people ordering wedge salads. Just be more conscious and order less of the product so none goes to waste.

With the rant side over, here's all you need on top of what's already been mentioned. Fresh Rosemary, and butter. Plain and simple. Cook it in a grilling pan, melt some butter with whole small branches of rosemary cooking in it, and spoon it over. It adds moisture and an extra savory flavor. Make a grilled cheese for your continually greasy side and serve with at least a pint of chocolate milk, the creamier the better.

• Brohoof 1

A sous vide is my next big kitchen purchase, but the fact you also need a sealer kind of kills it for me. Luckily I got rid of my rice and slow (2) cookers to make room for the pressure cooker, but a sealer is sort of mandatory unless you have presealed items. I’m also aware that sous vides take a hot minute to cook, and I’m going to brown that outside.

One thing I’ve started doing for big birds is spatchcocking. You debone the middle bits, use them for stock to make gravy, flip the bird over, break the breastbone, and splay that bird out spread eagle. Cooks in 45 minutes, and is way more tender than a whole turkey cooked normally. Thanksgiving is cooked in about 3 hours total.

• Brohoof 1

depends if I'm making something quick or a real dinner for me and my boyfriend.today I made biscuits and sausage gravy with scrambled eggs and we loved it.

I make a lot of salmon/other meats with veggie sides. I make homemade carbonara too. 

a good quick meal we eat is rice and overeasy eggs.

• Brohoof 1

Any basic Italian dish, preferably with pasta. I can make other stuff like steak, hamburgers, tacos, and enchiladas. My girlfriend is an aspiring chef so hopefully I can learn more about cooking from her and make more complex dishes.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it's pretty basic as I'm not much of a cook, but I always like to make a 'pancake' egg (flat, non-scrambled), with a side of beans, some toast, and a cup of tea. Maybe mix in some other stuff, like shredded cheese, or substitute one thing for something else if I need to.

It's always my favourite meal of the day, though as breakfast-y as it sounds I usually make it closer to lunch, or whenever I feel like. ^^

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Grilled cheese and tomato soup. It's super quick and simple to make, yet tastes pretty good. I cheat by making toast, putting on the cheese (I also like to add turkey slices and garlic), then sticking the sandwiches in the microwave for about twenty seconds, but I still consider that grilled cheese.

Chicken curry.

Doesn't matter what type of curry sauce I use. I usually have a curry once a week and wouldn't complain if I started making one each day. The only downside to a curry is the amount of washing up it leaves after cooking and eating. :P

• Brohoof 1

Lightly toasted English muffin (cut in 2), butter spread on it, and smothered in blackberry jam

Edited by The Wife of Law

Used to be Kraft macaroni and cheese but over the past few years I've taken to cooking with my family more often. If I had to pick a favorite these days, it would be spicy ramen bowls.

• Brohoof 1