Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What video games do you think are OVERHATED?

AveryGamerDude

This is a counterpart to "What video games do you think are overrated?" Instead of listing games that you think get more love than what you think they deserve, what video games do you think get more HATE than what they deserve? As per usual, I'll start:

Bendy and the Ink Machine

Cuphead

EA's Star Wars: Battlefront 2

Every Call of Duty game except the pre-MW ones

Every game in the Halo series except CE

Fallout 4 (And 76 a teeny tiny bit)

Five Night's at Freddy's (All of them)

Grand Theft Auto V

Minecraft

Most modern Sonic games

Pokemon Sword and Shield

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Undertale

...And that's all I've got for now. If I come up with any more, I'll post again. What games do YOU think get more hate than they deserve? Lemme know! :)

• Brohoof 2

Star Fox Adventures. It's more like a Zelda-esque game, but I think most people wanted to see a "true" continuation of series back then, with space battles and all that.

Also Super Mario Bros. 2 (western), where you can't defeat enemies with your jumps. Instead, you need to pick up the enemies, vegetables or other items and throw them against other enemies to defeat them.

I love both games, especially because they are different. I wish even more games were like these. :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Any almost Starfox game that isn't 64, often hated just because they aren't SF64.

Save for Zero, which tries too hard to be like 64 and too hard too be different.

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Resident Evil 5 comes to mind. It obviously has issues and an embarrassing couple of levels filled to the brim with African stereotypes, but overall I think it is a solid game. It still has good gunplay and having beaten it like...12 times, I never thought Sheva was terrible as an A.I. partner. She usually got the job done. Plus the game has tons of weapons and excellent Mercenaries Mode content. RE5 simply had the unfortunate fate of being the follow up to the masterpiece that is RE4. 

Grand Theft Auto IV is another one. It is all opinion of course, but I think IV is hated too much these days. People often cite its more realistic tone and physics in a negative context but I personally love it. The world just seems better to me, same with the characters. It actually has at least some characters that we can sympathize with. GTA V on the flipside is overrated to me because its story and characters are horrible. Now GTA V is simply a giant microtransaction factory with GTA Online. GTA IV had actual single player DLC that was really good. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I’d probably say:

-Sonic Lost World

-Sonic Forces (probably, I can see where the criticism is coming from but I feel like it’s somewhat overblown in some cases)

-Sonic Heroes

-Undertale (technically popular, but I feel like it gets a lot of hype backlash at the same time)

-Overwatch (Same as above, plus I feel like people don’t get the dev team enough credit for listening to the community)

-Star Fox Adventures

-Fortnite (not my personal kind of thing, but it’s in the same shoes as Overwatch and Undertale)

And probably some others that aren’t coming to mind atm.

Edited by SuperNESBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Undertale.

The excessive amount of meta humor and pop culture references get on my nerves sometimes but deep down the game has a really neat and emotional story to it. It’s also cool how the gameplay ties to the story so much. Literally everything you do means something.

• Brohoof 1

Pokemon Black/White / Generation V - I do believe the games are rather popular with the Pokemon fandom nowadays, but it seems like for a lot of other people this was the generation that was fun to hate, especially for its Pokemon designs. Obviously, not every Pokemon in Gen V was a winner (as is true of every single generation), but a number of my favorite Pokemon come from the generation (Samurott, Sawsbuck, etc.), and Black/White were some of the most refreshing games in the entire series. They made you pick only from the new Pokemon until the post-game. Before this I had relied on a number of ol' reliables from Gen I (Abra line, Arcanine, Raichu, etc.). Gen V forced me to see that other Pokemon are reliable, too, and that I could enjoy using new Pokemon. It's like the polar opposite of Pokemon today, which is so over focused on Gen I it makes me sick.

The Sims 3 - It was always seen as weaker than its predecessor, and people were taken back by the story progression. The story progression and open world were all I really wanted from a The Sims game. The game feels very alive compared to other The Sims titles. There are some very valid complaints about The Sims 3, lord knows I've always been one to speak my mind on them, but in the end, The Sims 3 is my favorite The Sims game.

(edited)
  • Gen 4 Pokemon (Diamond and Pearl, in particular)- Most of the complaints leveled against DP are frankly just completely untrue, and even if they were they're mostly just whiny complaints. I frankly still like Diamond and Pearl more than any of the other main series Pokemon titles, yes even BW/B2W2.
  • Shadow the Hedgehog- People just seem to hate on this game just because it's different. That's literally the only argument I've seen against it. It's far from a valid argument that I honestly think shouldn't be leveled on a game that's as, actually GOOD, as this game honestly is.
  • Star Fox Assault- This title isn't necessarily hated as much as it is shoved under the rug in favor of 64. If I'm being honest Assault is better than 64. Yes, 64 is a classic, but that's not really an argument now is it? Though I will say most SF games after Assault have been mediocre at best.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2- Pretty much the same argument I have for Shadow the Hedgehog except it isn't that people necessarily hate it, they just forget it even exists.
  • Paladins: Champions of the Realm- The hate for this game from the OW community that STILL exists is frankly mind-boggling, and most of it is just absolute nonsense. This game is mechanically WAY different than OW in ways that make it a much different experience, and a far superior one for less money I may add.

Also, although I've still yet to play it, I'm pretty sure Fallout 4 would make this list, due to the sheer complaining about the SPECIAL system being different. I will give the people who don't like it a bit of credit though that there's really only two morally justifiable faction choices, out of four (and one of them somehow has the worst ending associated with it). Though I'd argue siding with Caesar's Legion in New Vegas is kind of immoral. Also, I actually like the idea of FO4's SPECIAL and perk system.

Edited by Furret ᐡ꒳ᐡ
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

Sonic Lost World probably. I wouldn't call the game amazing, but it's pretty polished and functional. Although the control is way too stiff, I did like what they did with some levels. I think it's far better than games like Shadow and Forces.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Eeeveryone complains that every CoD is the same every year, so they changed it up with the EXO suit mechanics... and people still complained. Personally it's my favourite multiplayer CoD of all time, the movement was so fun and exhilarating, the guns were satisfying to use...

The lootbox (or whatever it was) mechanics sucked for sure, but gameplay wise I thought it was awesome.

Aliens: Colonial Marines. It was a game everyone wanted for a long time and when it finally came out everyone panned it. Personally I liked it (and I hate video games more than anyone). I actually played it all the way through twice with my brother.

Bioshock 2. The controls and gameplay are better than the first game and Rapture is as atmospheric as ever. But it gets constantly bashed for being an “unnecessary” sequel, while series like Assassin’s Creed continue with endless sequels and don’t get criticised the same way.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012 Criterion release), it's a fun arcadey game that anyone can jump into and it was only hated because of the name. That's literally it, nothing else! People were expecting it to be just like the 2005 release which was wildly successful (meanwhile that game is way too overrated. Fun, but overrated). The only thing that was really similar was the blacklist feature (kinda) otherwise it's just a fun little arcadey game to mess around in.

It does have an interesting development history though as it was supposed to be a direct sequel to the 2005 release (if you ignore Carbon) but they changed everything pretty much last minute to something that felt more like the Burnout games. And then they released Rivals, which.... does not run well on PC. Seriously, 30 FPS frame cap? I can tolerate 60 but 30 is just EWWW for any fairly modern racing game! And, the terrible loading and unloading of zones can make your car fall into the void or fly off randomly. Yeah, that one deserves the criticism. Apparently the cops AI is suppposed to be super fun but unfortunately for me, the 30 FPS limit makes me unable to enjoy the game properly because I would very much want to experience that. (I tried methods to increase the cap but they either made my game freeze at some loading screens or increased the physics speed, which apparently is bound to the FPS.)

Edited by Trot Shuffle

• 4 weeks later...