Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Wish The Show Explained Its Lore More?

Rainy Daze

This could apply to anything from how magic works, the history of Equestria, to even just life in general for ponies. 

There's a number of things in the show that I personally wish had been more elaborated on, namely the era of Celestia and Luna's original reign and the time before Celestia took the mantle of raising the sun. I also think it's quite strange that only one chosen pony is responsible for raising the sun which drastically affects the entire world. I feel like some interesting stories could have come from tensions between other races and ponies this way. 

Obviously as kid's show first and foremost it has the privilege of being able to just introduce new elements as it pleases for whatever story they want to tell, but when it goes on as long as MLP:FiM you end up raising a lot of questions.

Of course showing less can be more but some questions, for me at least, when left unanswered just feel unsatisfying even if you can come up with a good headcanon to alleviate that. 

I'm curious if anyone else agrees or disagrees with me and what there reasons are, and maybe hear some good headcanons while we're at it.  

• Brohoof 6

I wish they got more invested in explaining earth ponies and their magical contribution to the world. Yeah, farming is good but that's not magical. Yeah strength but that's not a thing all earth ponies seem to have? And it was kinda shoehorned in. I don't think they themselves understood how to balance it and that is kinda sad that they pretty much have up on it and didn't gave it the attention it deserved.

• Brohoof 5

Show focused a lot more on lore later on and if anything I think it was to it's detriment. It focused so much on world building and being big and epic that it was often at the expense of characters

• Brohoof 4

25 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

I wish they got more invested in explaining earth ponies and their magical contribution to the world. Yeah, farming is good but that's not magical. Yeah strength but that's not a thing all earth ponies seem to have? And it was kinda shoehorned in. I don't think they themselves understood how to balance it and that is kinda sad that they pretty much have up on it and didn't gave it the attention it deserved.

Totally agree with this, I think it comes down to the fact that unicorns and pegasi could probably do their own farming if needed ? But earth ponies have nothing close to flight or magic on their own. 

29 minutes ago, Megas said:

Show focused a lot more on lore later on and if anything I think it was to it's detriment. It focused so much on world building and being big and epic that it was often at the expense of characters

The only thing I felt a somewhat passionate dislike of in the show was the introduction of the pillars, though I did enjoy some of their involvement later on. I suppose there are some danger to expanding the lore but in my opinion the pillars basically came out of nowhere, whereas I wish they more so expanded on the already established ideas instead.

• Brohoof 3

I'm not sure being a kid's show should give it the privilege of just introducing new stuff randomly. Children deserve consistent and well-written worlds just as much as adults, you know? That aside, I wish they would focus more on keeping their lore consistent, rather than explaining more about it. I'm not saying it's impossible to have both, but they opted for neither in the later seasons it seems like.

• Brohoof 2

I wish they would’ve just given more time to the characters they made in seasons 8 and 9, especially the new villains. They could’ve had whole different stories revolved around them but the show never got to that. 

• Brohoof 3

28 minutes ago, Adorable Lovestar said:

I'm not sure being a kid's show should give it the privilege of just introducing new stuff randomly. Children deserve consistent and well-written worlds just as much as adults, you know? That aside, I wish they would focus more on keeping their lore consistent, rather than explaining more about it. I'm not saying it's impossible to have both, but they opted for neither in the later seasons it seems like.

I misspoke there :awwthanks: I meant more that kid's shows often do this while not respecting their audience. I definitely didn't mean that it's just something that they get to do regardless. Sorry for the confusion!

• Brohoof 2

Inconsistency killed the world of FIM, and its broken shell sank far beyond the reach of mortal means into the mire of complacent folly.

Take a seat, H-Bro. Your only hope is laughing at your frailty!

LaughingGeorgeLucas.jpg.d19305d9054d764c92dbb5b9a0998c1e.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Well magic is a vague word (always has though) like trixie's magic is entertainment...which if you think about it why would you be entertained by it? If you see a lot of unicorns do it already... As for twilights magic a high tier one is more entertaining to watch..... And pinkie pie....... She has magic but shes an earth pony! Im not talking about passive magic or cutie mark talent magic... I mean magic magic..... Well discord level magic. And thus maybe earth ponies have the nature talent magic...the magic of green thumb... Where they can grow crops properly and not die....

Oh and to fix the inconsistency of this show ... I always thought that starlight broke the time line and we are seeing different time lines now.

• Brohoof 2

52 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Well magic is a vague word (always has though) like trixie's magic is entertainment...which if you think about it why would you be entertained by it? If you see a lot of unicorns do it already... As for twilights magic a high tier one is more entertaining to watch..... And pinkie pie....... She has magic but shes an earth pony! Im not talking about passive magic or cutie mark talent magic... I mean magic magic..... Well discord level magic. And thus maybe earth ponies have the nature talent magic...the magic of green thumb... Where they can grow crops properly and not die....

Oh and to fix the inconsistency of this show ... I always thought that starlight broke the time line and we are seeing different time lines now.

Time travel always opens up way too many questions doesn't it :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

I wished they touched more on the dragons and the Bloodstone Scepter there.
And Spike's origins on where did his egg come from.

Same with Luna's and Celestia's origins. Like where did they come from and why are there so few natural-born Alicorns there.
And exploring themes of darkness like Luna's inner darkness/Nightmare Moon and the Well of Shade there.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I wish they would’ve just given more time to the characters they made in seasons 8 and 9, especially the new villains. They could’ve had whole different stories revolved around them but the show never got to that. 

Also, the show wasted a lot of time on characters we already know at that point, instead I'm doing something fun with the new characters :dry:

• Brohoof 1

I mean I sure felt it covered a lot :wacko: . Surrounding worlds, older characters like the Pillars (who I’m surprised didn’t freak out and die realizing everybody they knew is now dead :fluttershy:), hmm...

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, WWolf said:

I mean I sure felt it covered a lot :wacko: . Surrounding worlds, older characters like the Pillars (who I’m surprised didn’t freak out and die realizing everybody they knew is now dead :fluttershy:), hmm...

About that last part.. should have had Luna help them(and Stygian) adjust to the modern times(and stuff like people they know are now LONG gone) since she literally went through the same situation.
Talk about wasted potential.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah obviously. I'd buy a book of history and maps and biology and economics of the pony world.

The World of Cupcakes and Rainbows or something. Written by Starswirl. :squee:

s-l1000.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

On 8/1/2020 at 12:18 PM, Adorable Lovestar said:

Yeah definitely. But that's what kids shows do, and it's true that young kids don't care that much.

Yeah, I know this is one of those "10,000 hours in Mspaint" deals but it was only about ten minutes. :pinkie:

image.png.d41547165b95c3e9a694a97517a2cd79.png

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 2

you have to remember the reason why there's a lot of inconsistency is because they were never trying to go for one consistent backstory from the very beginning. Remember that back in Season 1 Twilight very briefly mentioned Ponyville was founded by Earth ponies and that "for hundreds of years [the Earth Ponies] never relied on unicorn magic to help clean up winter". but then in season 2 they gave a little more clarity revealing that Granny Smith has been one of the original founders of Ponyville, which  when you compare it with Twilight's line that implied that Ponyville has been around for hundreds of years even though Granny Smith couldn't possibly that old; a little bit over a hundred I'm willing to accept, but hundreds of years like at least 200 would be a bit of a stretch.

Basically because the show all have different writers that don't all agree on the same thing they're going to be contradictions when you look at it too closely. And the target audience of young kids wouldn't even care that much about the tiny little details, or at least to make a big deal out of them

it comes to all the unanswered questions about lore, it's like I always say: a wasted potential in the main show is just fuel for all fanfiction writers to expand upon on the internet. How the world works is only limited by our...

366281099_giphy(9).gif.26b1341e264cc5b78e7faca128857b4c.gif

So you're free to imagine whatever answers to plot holes or unanswered questions that pop up in the shows, films and even the comic books; the latter of which was meant to have a loose continuity compared to The Main Show.

Personally why waste time complaining about all the plot holes, conflicting information, lack of full lore when the show should be enjoyed for what it is and helps inspire viewers to expand on the unanswered questions and lore in their own open-minded ways

• Brohoof 3

I just wish they didn’t made the story revolve around the lore. The explanations of the lore shouldn’t have been required in the first place.

If they ever was going delve into it, they have to do it right. There’s no way they are going to do it right, so they shouldn’t make the kind of show that focuses on the lore in the first place.

Fairy tails are not about the lore, the settings are mostly story elements that are used merely once, or just foreshadowing.

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, flurry said:

The more you explain the less mystery and awe you get :mlp_wink:

Yeah I get this but I feel very torn between two worlds when it comes to this issue. I love mystery but also get so agitated by unanswered questions... I just can't make up my mind :lostit:

• Brohoof 2

I think they did overall a fairly good job, when everything is said and done its easy to criticize but during the production its much harder. I wish we got to learn more about celestias rule, the sisters life before the banishment, some things about the other races, but I am not disappointed in what we got.

• Brohoof 1