Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else like the comics more

CoryBaxter420

I'm currently enjoying the comics more in general than I used to, though can't say if I like them more than the show still. I used to like the show more....a lot more. Then S6 happened and everything just went downhill. Around that same point was when I was starting to enjoy the comics a bit more, especially the Friends Forever series, and I actually started picking up physical copies of certain comics

Sometimes I do (e.g. - their take on Sombra, vs. The Beginning Of The End's take).

Other times, I like the show more (e.g. - its version of the Sirens/Dazzlings' banishment, vs. FIENDship Is Magic #3's version).

Edited by Anti-Villain

I love the comics but nowhere near the amount I love the show. 

Havent even re-read all the comics yet and I am in my 6th rewatch of the show. 

Tho there are some incredible releases.

It's not that simple for me.  I have episodes I really like, and ones I'm less fond of (I can't say there are any I outright hate).  I can say the same about individual comics.  They also seem to work similarly in the sense that a given comic or arc will be written by a particular writer, then the next one will often be written by another writer (with there also being different artists on rotation).

The show has the strength of not only being a show, but being A canon.  B canon material such as the comics has to respect the continuity of the show as best as possible, while the show really only has to respect its own continuity (and even then, some show writers only knew their own continuity).  On the other hand, there are things the show would never do that the comics can and have gotten away with.  They can get a little darker than the show, or explore ideas that just wouldn't work as an episode.  So, I'm glad we have them as supplementary material, especially now that the show has ended.  The same is true of the chapter books and other such things, although it seems that those have mostly fallen by the wayside now too, with the "manga" being the only other MLP material besides the comics that's still being released.  

Overall, I would still say that I prefer the show over the comics. For me, it's hard to beat something that is actually animated. Plus, for the most part, the episode plots for MLP tend to have a bot more quality.

All that being said, I do enjoy the comics. Some can be quite fun and the artwork can be interesting. After the show got kinda bad in season eight, I started to actually check out the comics. Compared to the quality of the first seven seasons they weren't as good, but compared to s8 they were a nice treat. I would still say that I like the show more overall, but I am glad we do have the comics.

(edited)

OH YEAH and the comics have better art than the show. Artists like Andy Price make gorgeous looking panels and it's gr8. Although there are times when the comics look terrible (mostly in the side stories not in the 'Friendship is Magic' series of comics) like artists like that one guy named Tony. I forgot his name. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But most of the time it looks great because the show looks like a flash cartoon and I'm not a fan of how the outlines are a different shade of the main color of something. The comics for the most part have black lines as outlines which I prefer. Although it doesn't hold a candle to the movie.

Edited by CoryBaxter420
I made a typo but then I had more thoughts and decided to add onto what I've already said.

I didn't read a lot of comics, but from the few I did, they are at best like the average episode, with some as bad as the worst episodes. Some I thought were OK but I just disliked the content for personal reasons(like the sombra arc).

8 minutes ago, CoryBaxter420 said:

aw that sucks man

Not because they’re bad. They’re different, with different strengths and weaknesses. At any rate, I haven’t read enough of them to form a strong opinion. 

5 hours ago, CoryBaxter420 said:

Oof

Damn bro you missin out on some good stuff

No, I’ve read them. Not missing out. They got some interesting ideas (sometimes), but I don’t like how they treat my favorite character.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Eathlin said:

The comic's industry is filled with corruption, politics, toxicity, and worse. Frankly it's more ethical to pirate them then to give those companies money. I personally don't pirate comics but I will not condemn you for doing so.

neat

I miss the days when entertainment was just entertaining... None of the politics, none of the drama, just action, one liners and a bowl of cereal in your lap as you look up at the television.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Eathlin said:

I miss the days when entertainment was just entertaining... None of the politics, none of the drama, just action, one liners and a bowl of cereal in your lap as you look up at the television.

i don't watch a lot of tv anyways because I mostly play video games and watch YouTube.

14 minutes ago, Eathlin said:

I mean if we're taking about comics

>Watchmen
>X-Men
>Captain America
>Fuck, Marvel in general

Whether you like it or not, Comics in general has always been political ever since they first started

But let's not get into that, this is about the MLP comics

• Brohoof 1